scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

gkk gb
With flash plugin going away, I'll need to port my Flex application to either Air or FlexJS sometime in the next year or two. I have a couple initial questions...

Q1. My scientific web app is very data centric, with lots of charts. In particular, I depend heavily on log charts. Does FlexJS support logarithmic axes? I couldn't find it in the documentation.

Q2. For new projects, could someone help me understand the key advantage(s) FlexJS has in the market compared to other technologies such as AngularJS, ExtJS, etc.? For example, if you're quoting a project to a client, what type of project is in the sweet spot for using FlexJS rather than the status quo (whatever that is)?

Q3. What is the goal of FlexJS release 1.0, and when will it likely occur? Is it expected to be enough to develop a basic, real, app that is robust/bug-free?

Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there will a lot of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today? Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms of maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.

Thanks, GKK

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

Alex Harui-2
The advantage of FlexJS is that it is not a corporate-controlled open
source project.  That should make it easier for you to participate and
make a difference.  The current Chart code doesn't have logarithmic axes,
but you could the one to create them.  If a bug is bugging you, you can be
the one to fix it and thus truly make your app robust/bug-free.

FlexJS is made up of lots of small pieces called beads.  Hopefully,
regular axes can easily be swapped out for log axes, and if browser update
and some piece of code needs changing, that code is in a bead and a
different bead can be swapped in.

FlexJS is one-stop-shopping for an SDK that supports both extensible
markup (MXML) and an object-oriented language (AS).

On 8/6/17, 4:03 PM, "gkk gb" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>With flash plugin going away, I'll need to port my Flex application to
>either Air or FlexJS sometime in the next year or two. I have a couple
>initial questions...
>

>Q1. My scientific web app is very data centric, with lots of charts. In
>particular, I depend heavily on log charts. Does FlexJS support
>logarithmic axes? I couldn't find it in the documentation.
>

>Q2. For new projects, could someone help me understand the key
>advantage(s) FlexJS has in the market compared to other technologies such
>as AngularJS, ExtJS, etc.? For example, if you're quoting a project to a
>client, what type of project is in the sweet spot for using FlexJS rather
>than the status quo (whatever that is)?
>

>Q3. What is the goal of FlexJS release 1.0, and when will it likely
>occur? Is it expected to be enough to develop a basic, real, app that is
>robust/bug-free?
>

>Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there will a lot of
>maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that
>break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today?
>Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that
>the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms
>of maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.
>

>Thanks, GKK

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

>My scientific web app is very data centric, with lots of charts.
I would just let you know that you're not alone. We also will need some charts including log scale if we'll move to FlexJS.
I'm hopeful that this is something that could be implemented by ourselves someday.
So, for me this missing feature is no drawback of FlexJS.
As Alex mentioned one of the main benefits is that we can shape it by ourselves, without the influence of the big players.

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

Harbs

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 2:03 AM, gkk gb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> With flash plugin going away, I'll need to port my Flex application to either Air or FlexJS sometime in the next year or two. I have a couple initial questions...
>

> Q1. My scientific web app is very data centric, with lots of charts. In particular, I depend heavily on log charts. Does FlexJS support logarithmic axes? I couldn't find it in the documentation.

Charts are currently not an area where work has been done in FlexJS. I see two options here:

1. If you find JS chart components which do what you want, you can probably use them in your project with a thin wrapper. We did this with a color picker.

2. If you have classic Flex chart components, they can likely be migrated to FlexJS. There are many similar drawing commands.

> Q2. For new projects, could someone help me understand the key advantage(s) FlexJS has in the market compared to other technologies such as AngularJS, ExtJS, etc.? For example, if you're quoting a project to a client, what type of project is in the sweet spot for using FlexJS rather than the status quo (whatever that is)?

The sweet spot for FlexJS is pretty much the same sweet spot that Flash had. If you have a single-page web app and you are familiar with Flex and Flash, I think you would find FlexJS many times more productive than any of the popular JS frameworks out there.

Before I started with FlexJS, I did quite a bit of work trying to make Angular work for me. I found it to be a horrible experience. It’s very unintuitive, hard to organize, slow, very easy to cause minification bugs, minification was difficult. etc.

React is probably the most popular JS framework today although Vue.js is giving it a run for the money. Both push declarative code like we have with MXML, but my personal opinion is that their approaches are more hacky and error prone.

No matter which framework you pick (other than FlexJS), you will be required to deal with deciding what version of JS you write (or TypeScript). Unless you write in vanilla JS, you will need to pick a compiler (i.e. Webpack or Babel). You will need to deal with all the idiosyncrasies of transpiling and minification. You will probably need to find components that fit your needs and get that to work. You’ll need to write HTML and CSS directly in addition to your JS code.

The beauty of FlexJS, is that all of that is taken care of you by the compiler. For the most part, you don’t need to know the intricacies (weirdness?) of css. You don’t need to figure out exactly which HTML elements and attributes you need. You don’t need to worry about how to load myriad HTML, CSS and JS files. You don’t need to worry about combining, trimming and minifying all your dependencies. etc.

> Q3. What is the goal of FlexJS release 1.0, and when will it likely occur? Is it expected to be enough to develop a basic, real, app that is robust/bug-free?

We’re working towards 1.0. Exactly which feature warrent being called “1.0” is a matter of discussion. As far as being enough to build a basic real app? It’s there already. I have a number of apps I built using FlexJS. Some are panels for InDesign which are already being used by my clients. Another is a VERY complex web app which will be going into production soon. It’s a bit bleeding edge, but I’m definitely way more productive than I would be in any of the standard JS frameworks.

> Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there will a lot of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today? Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms of maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.

We try very hard to abstract away browser inconsistencies. I think it’s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a problem inherent in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than most.

Harbs

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

gkk gb
Thanks for the detailed answers Harbs.

Regarding the 'classic Flex chart components' comment, are you hinting that ActionScript's LogAxis can likely be migrated to FlexJS? My app is built using LogAxis (which I've extended to draw minor tick marks).

If I had to build my own log axis, or in general, adding code to FlexJS or fixing a bug, is the code written in JS or AS? In other words, what knowledge/prerequisites does one need to contribute to FlexJS?

I also depend heavily on AMF (BlazeDS) and RemoteObject, but I see some work already going on there (which I'm very grateful for).

> [...]
>
>         > >
> >         Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there will a lot of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today? Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms of maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.
> >
> >     >
>     We try very hard to abstract away browser inconsistencies. I think it’s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a problem inherent in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than most.

Peter Ent-2
The current FlexJS Chart package provides a basic set of charts: bar,
stacked bar, column, stacked column, pie, and line. They are based on List
and use SVG graphics for the item renderers.

There are currently two types of axes: linear and category. To make a
logarithmic axis you could follow the linear axis code.

The way I designed the charts was to make use of layouts. The bar chart,
for example, is composed of one category axis (vertical), one linear axis
(horizontal), and the BarChartLayout. The layout does not actually look at
the axis, it just looks at the data and divides up the space its given and
figures out where the bars should go. The axes also look at the same data
set and figure out their tick marks and labeling.

A logarithmic chart would need to be a bit smarter. Obviously using a
logarithmic scale for the axis or axes, but you would also need a new
layout since the LineChart (or whatever type of chart you want to display)
does not examine the axis beads. I could foresee a change in that chart
layout that does take cues from the axis beads.

Everything is written in ActionScript. Our FlexJS compiler will generate
JavaScript from the ActionScript (and MXML) for you.

I hope this helps give you an idea of the Chart project's current
capabilities. Reply back with more questions.

Regards,
Peter Ent
Adobe Systems/Apache Flex Group

On 8/7/17, 11:05 AM, "gkk gb" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>into production soon. It¹s a bit bleeding edge, but I¹m definitely way
>>more productive than I would be in any of the standard JS frameworks.
>>
>>         > >
>> >         Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there will a
>>lot of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for
>>example, that break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML
>>development has today? Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard
>>(maintenance free). Now that the shoe will be on the other foot, so I
>>wonder what to expect in terms of maintenance; will it be a matter of
>>filing a JIRA bug for example?.
>> >
>> >     >
>>     We try very hard to abstract away browser inconsistencies. I think
>>it¹s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a
>>problem inherent in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than

I know nothing about LogAxis. I’ve personally never done any apps which use charts, so I’m not really equipped to comment on them.

My app which I’ve migrated does do a LOT of drawing and it was much less painful to migrate than I feared.

To figure out how much work it will be to migrate I suggest asking the following questions:

1. What flash APIs are used? Depending on the answer to that question, you’ll know how straightforward of a conversion it will be. Some APIs have similar counterparts. Others less so.
2. What HTML visuals can you use? You need to figure out whether it will be drawn using HTML elements, SVG, or Canvas. Each of those have their own challenges. FWIW, we have APIs for drawing to SVG which are very similar to the Flash Graphic APIs.

I discuss my strategies in migration in my presentation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&index=5&list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&index=5&list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

The rest of the presentations should be helpful as well:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

> [...]
>>

>>>        Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there will a lot of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today? Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms of maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.
>>>

>>    We try very hard to abstract away browser inconsistencies. I think it’s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a problem inherent in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than most.

OmPrakash Muppirala
I have created a JIRA here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-35349
for exploring HighCharts integration in FlexJS.  It does not look terribly
hard.  I just need to find some time to do it.

I will keep you posted.

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> FlexJS. Some are panels for InDesign which are already being used by my
> clients. Another is a VERY complex web app which will be going into
> production soon. It’s a bit bleeding edge, but I’m definitely way more
> productive than I would be in any of the standard JS frameworks.

> of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that
> break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today?
> Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that
> the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms of
> maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.
> >>>

> >>    We try very hard to abstract away browser inconsistencies. I think
> it’s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a
> problem inherent in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than most.

Angelo Lazzari
This is the great potencial and power of flex community ...a question in
the morning...a jira opening in the evening...awsome !! Thanks guys!!!

Angelo

El lun., 7 de agosto de 2017 20:25, OmPrakash Muppirala <
[hidden email]> escribió:

> [...]
> > FlexJS. Some are panels for InDesign which are already being used by my
> > clients. Another is a VERY complex web app which will be going into
> > production soon. It’s a bit bleeding edge, but I’m definitely way more
> > productive than I would be in any of the standard JS frameworks.

> > of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example,
> that
> > break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today?
> > Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that
> > the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms
> of
> > maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.

> > it’s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a
> > problem inherent in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than

piotrz
Hi Om,

Thanks! Awesome that you are constantly get back here with help <3 :)

Hi Angelo,

Yep! That is power of the open source in Apache :) Looking forward to your UI work!

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

Angelo Lazzari
We are working on it, at the time we are doing a few days of research about
the graphic tendencies from now on...courious about the results!!!! :)

Thanks guys!
Angelo

El lun., 7 de agosto de 2017 21:52, piotrz <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Hi Om,
>
> Thanks! Awesome that you are constantly get back here with help <3 :)
>
> Hi Angelo,
>
> Yep! That is power of the open source in Apache :) Looking forward to your
> UI work!
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

I would like to add on top of all of that what Alex, Olaf and Harbs said.
I've been helping with things related to FlexJS for some real world project.
The developers perspective of this project was very different than Harbs have, cause he is an expert in FlexJS - he wrote with Yishay a lot of components, he know what is "behind the stage". They take FlexJS and started to use it without that knowledge and face a lot of walls.

I would like to encourage you to do not gave up at the beginning cause we are in the stage where we still doing things in FlexJS need to have sometimes some experts knowledge. Just ask here and you will find that working with this framework can be really pleasent.

I believe that this is something which we should work on in FlexJS - To reach the point where someone will take our SDK and start to use features intuitively as it was in Flex without to much experts knowledge.

Thanks, Piotr

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

gkk gb
Thanks Piotr, I learned so much from Peter deHann's website

http://blog.flexexamples.com

about how to use Flex. It would be great to bring in new users to have something similar for FlexJS. I know it's a lot of work. But perhaps with a community's participation it would go a lot faster. Just my 2 cents.

>     On August 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     I would like to add on top of all of that what Alex, Olaf and Harbs said.
>     I've been helping with things related to FlexJS for some real world project.
>     The developers perspective of this project was very different than Harbs
>     have, cause he is an expert in FlexJS - he wrote with Yishay a lot of
>     components, he know what is "behind the stage". They take FlexJS and started
>     to use it without that knowledge and face a lot of walls.
>
>     I would like to encourage you to do not gave up at the beginning cause we
>     are in the stage where we still doing things in FlexJS need to have
>     sometimes some experts knowledge. Just ask here and you will find that
>     working with this framework can be really pleasent.
>
>     I believe that this is something which we should work on in FlexJS - To
>     reach the point where someone will take our SDK and start to use features
>     intuitively as it was in Flex without to much experts knowledge.
>
>     Thanks, Piotr
>
>     -----
>     Apache Flex PMC
>
>     [hidden email]

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

gkk gb
Thanks Om, Great idea (I already up voted it!) However, I think I read somewhere that putting a wrapper around a non-FlexJS component would mean that component couldn't be combined with FlexJS basic (or express?) components on the same screen. Is that true? Since I have a lot of components on my dashboard, it would probably force me to use all FlexJS or non-FlexJS components from the start.

> [...]
> >         >>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>        Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there will a lot of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that break previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today? Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder what to expect in terms of maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.
> >         >>>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>    We try very hard to abstract away browser inconsistencies. I think it’s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a problem inherent in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than most.

As far as I know Harbs and Yishay combined FlexJS MDL module (which is actually wrappers around MDL [1]) with components from Basic thanks to some additional tweaks in CSS.

I'm not sure whether that is what you are asking?

[1] https://getmdl.io/components/index.html

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

gkk gb
It was this post

http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-MDL-Mixing-Basic-and-MDL-td59300.html

and Carlos' comments, e.g. "I don't recommend to use FlexJS Components at all if you use MDL set."

I wonder if things have changed since then, to allow one to mix and match in the same layout...

>     On August 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     As far as I know Harbs and Yishay combined FlexJS MDL module (which is
>     actually wrappers around MDL [1]) with components from Basic thanks to some
>     additional tweaks in CSS.
>
>     I'm not sure whether that is what you are asking?
>
>     [1] https://getmdl.io/components/index.html
>
>     Piotr
>
>     -----
>     Apache Flex PMC
>
>     [hidden email]

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

Harbs
There’s some weirdness with MDL, but we’ve found that simply wrapping MDL in a js:Div and reapplying some CSS works just fine.

In general wrapping JS libs works just fine. You should use bracket access instead of dot access for properties unless you deal with externs (which is currently a topic which is more advanced than it should be). That’s to prevent magnification problems.

HTH,
Harbs

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 12:41 AM, gkk gb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It was this post
>

> http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-MDL-Mixing-Basic-and-MDL-td59300.html
>

> and Carlos' comments, e.g. "I don't recommend to use FlexJS Components at all if you use MDL set."
>

> I wonder if things have changed since then, to allow one to mix and match in the same layout...
>

>>    On August 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    As far as I know Harbs and Yishay combined FlexJS MDL module (which is
>>    actually wrappers around MDL [1]) with components from Basic thanks to some
>>    additional tweaks in CSS.
>>
>>    I'm not sure whether that is what you are asking?
>>
>>    [1] https://getmdl.io/components/index.html
>>
>>    Piotr
>>
>>    -----
>>    Apache Flex PMC
>>
>>    [hidden email]

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

piotrz
I'm thinking on add those magic CSS to MDL. Yishay provide me what was done for components which you are using. If I could find the time for figure out what is the collision for the rest one we could make mixing cause tweaks could be part of SDK.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex

MDL is essentially a framework of its own.  I wouldn't expect third-party
charts to have as many incompatibilities with our other component sets
since the charts are likely designed to work in other UI's built by other
JS frameworks.  But we won't know until someone tries it.

Also, we could look into the basic components and try to capture their
visual CSS dependencies as a theme.