Quantcast

out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Hans Nuecke
Apologies for this not really Flex related question, but I'm sure there
are many experienced users around with knowledge of AIR specific topics.
So I wanted to give it a try...

When loading dozens of JPG images (compressed: ~ 2.5Mb, uncompressed ~
10Mb), my  Flex/AIR application stops with the "out of memory error"
once about 1.6Gb of memory is used (data based on Scout).

This can be reproduced.

When I reduce the cache size my app is using for images. I can avoid
that error. But since I have no control about what the users of my app
are doing, I'd like to either find a way increasing the memory; or a
clear statement (with a link if possible) that there indeed is a limit.
Also for 64 bit systems.

I run Flex 4.16 with AIR 25, but could reproduce this error with Flex
4.15 and AIR 25 also. Actually testing on a WIndows 10 64 sytem with
24GB of RAM.

If you have a suggestion for a better place posting my question, please
share (Adobe, SO, ...?)

Thanks

Hans

Re: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

clintm
The limit you're probably hitting is a 32 bit memory limit.

If you're _actually_ using AIR 25 for captive apps which is 64 bit for
windows then I doubt you'll hit any memory limit.

Check this page:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
and look for: Download AIR SDK & Compiler for Win 64 bit only
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/win64SDK/AIRSDK_Compiler.zip

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies for this not really Flex related question, but I'm sure there
> are many experienced users around with knowledge of AIR specific topics. So
> I wanted to give it a try...
>
> When loading dozens of JPG images (compressed: ~ 2.5Mb, uncompressed ~
> 10Mb), my  Flex/AIR application stops with the "out of memory error" once
> about 1.6Gb of memory is used (data based on Scout).
>
> This can be reproduced.
>
> When I reduce the cache size my app is using for images. I can avoid that
> error. But since I have no control about what the users of my app are
> doing, I'd like to either find a way increasing the memory; or a clear
> statement (with a link if possible) that there indeed is a limit. Also for
> 64 bit systems.
>
> I run Flex 4.16 with AIR 25, but could reproduce this error with Flex 4.15
> and AIR 25 also. Actually testing on a WIndows 10 64 sytem with 24GB of RAM.
>
> If you have a suggestion for a better place posting my question, please
> share (Adobe, SO, ...?)
>
> Thanks
>
> Hans

Re: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Hans Nuecke
I downloaded the SDK from that site (and already the new Beta that came
out yesterday).

But I downloaded the "Download AIR SDK for Flex Developers for Windows
<https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/pvt/AdobeAIRSDK.zip>"
package. Is that a 32Bit version only?!?

There's no option to select 32 or 64 bit versions; or did I miss anything?

So far I ignored the "AIR SDK & Compiler" versions, since I'm making use
of Flex.

I'm preferably using IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Could I use the "SDL &
Compiler" version also?

Sorry for that many stupid questions, but your remark sounds logical for
me (I ran into that limit with Outlook at those 32 bit times ;-)

Thanks

Hans

Am 30.03.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Clint M:

> The limit you're probably hitting is a 32 bit memory limit.
>
> If you're _actually_ using AIR 25 for captive apps which is 64 bit for
> windows then I doubt you'll hit any memory limit.
>
> Check this page:
> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
> and look for: Download AIR SDK & Compiler for Win 64 bit only
> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/win64SDK/AIRSDK_Compiler.zip
>

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Apologies for this not really Flex related question, but I'm sure there
>> are many experienced users around with knowledge of AIR specific topics. So
>> I wanted to give it a try...
>>
>> When loading dozens of JPG images (compressed: ~ 2.5Mb, uncompressed ~
>> 10Mb), my  Flex/AIR application stops with the "out of memory error" once
>> about 1.6Gb of memory is used (data based on Scout).
>>
>> This can be reproduced.
>>
>> When I reduce the cache size my app is using for images. I can avoid that
>> error. But since I have no control about what the users of my app are
>> doing, I'd like to either find a way increasing the memory; or a clear
>> statement (with a link if possible) that there indeed is a limit. Also for
>> 64 bit systems.
>>
>> I run Flex 4.16 with AIR 25, but could reproduce this error with Flex 4.15
>> and AIR 25 also. Actually testing on a WIndows 10 64 sytem with 24GB of RAM.
>>
>> If you have a suggestion for a better place posting my question, please
>> share (Adobe, SO, ...?)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hans

Re: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Hans Nuecke
I found two posts on stackoverflow that might add some details;

http://stackoverflow.com/a/35387564/2672173 Talking about a "design
flaw" regarding memory management in AIR, that limits memory usage to
about 1.25 Gb
and
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12554447/relationship-of-adobe-air-sdk-and-flex-sdk

with some information about the differences of the two offered SDK packages.

The content might be outdated, so if anybody at apache had an update,
please le me/us know!

Hans

Am 30.03.2017 um 09:07 schrieb Hans Nuecke:

> I downloaded the SDK from that site (and already the new Beta that
> came out yesterday).
>
> But I downloaded the "Download AIR SDK for Flex Developers for Windows
> <https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/pvt/AdobeAIRSDK.zip>"
> package. Is that a 32Bit version only?!?
>
> There's no option to select 32 or 64 bit versions; or did I miss
> anything?
>
> So far I ignored the "AIR SDK & Compiler" versions, since I'm making
> use of Flex.
>
> I'm preferably using IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Could I use the "SDL &
> Compiler" version also?
>
> Sorry for that many stupid questions, but your remark sounds logical
> for me (I ran into that limit with Outlook at those 32 bit times ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Hans
>

> Am 30.03.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Clint M:
>> The limit you're probably hitting is a 32 bit memory limit.
>>
>> If you're _actually_ using AIR 25 for captive apps which is 64 bit for
>> windows then I doubt you'll hit any memory limit.
>>
>> Check this page:
>> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
>> and look for: Download AIR SDK & Compiler for Win 64 bit only
>> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/win64SDK/AIRSDK_Compiler.zip
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Apologies for this not really Flex related question, but I'm sure there
>>> are many experienced users around with knowledge of AIR specific
>>> topics. So
>>> I wanted to give it a try...
>>>
>>> When loading dozens of JPG images (compressed: ~ 2.5Mb, uncompressed ~
>>> 10Mb), my  Flex/AIR application stops with the "out of memory error"
>>> once
>>> about 1.6Gb of memory is used (data based on Scout).
>>>
>>> This can be reproduced.
>>>
>>> When I reduce the cache size my app is using for images. I can avoid
>>> that
>>> error. But since I have no control about what the users of my app are
>>> doing, I'd like to either find a way increasing the memory; or a clear
>>> statement (with a link if possible) that there indeed is a limit.
>>> Also for
>>> 64 bit systems.
>>>
>>> I run Flex 4.16 with AIR 25, but could reproduce this error with
>>> Flex 4.15
>>> and AIR 25 also. Actually testing on a WIndows 10 64 sytem with 24GB
>>> of RAM.
>>>
>>> If you have a suggestion for a better place posting my question, please
>>> share (Adobe, SO, ...?)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>
>>> --

*Hans J. Nuecke* / Gorch-Fock-Str. 6 • 81827 Muenchen • Germany /
*VservU GmbH*
Home:                           +49 (89) 45344858              office:           +49 (89) 43906 707
mobile:                        +49 (176) 56529048
private: [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>                 business: [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>
website: www.vservu.de <http://vservu.de> www.megazine3.de
<http://megazine3.de>
Munich HRB 181251    Geschäftsführer:      Hans J. Nücke      USt-Id:   DE266694113

Re: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Josh Tynjala
Currently, Windows 64-bit support isn't available in the AIR SDK without a
compiler. That doesn't mean you can't use it, though. You could compile
with the Flex SDK, and then call the adt command line tool from the
separate AIR SDK to package the AIR captive runtime app.

- Josh

On Mar 30, 2017 1:07 AM, "Hans Nuecke" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded the SDK from that site (and already the new Beta that came
> out yesterday).
>
> But I downloaded the "Download AIR SDK for Flex Developers for Windows <
> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/
> air/pvt/AdobeAIRSDK.zip>" package. Is that a 32Bit version only?!?
>
> There's no option to select 32 or 64 bit versions; or did I miss anything?
>
> So far I ignored the "AIR SDK & Compiler" versions, since I'm making use
> of Flex.
>
> I'm preferably using IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Could I use the "SDL &
> Compiler" version also?
>
> Sorry for that many stupid questions, but your remark sounds logical for
> me (I ran into that limit with Outlook at those 32 bit times ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Hans
>

> Am 30.03.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Clint M:
>
>> The limit you're probably hitting is a 32 bit memory limit.
>>
>> If you're _actually_ using AIR 25 for captive apps which is 64 bit for
>> windows then I doubt you'll hit any memory limit.
>>
>> Check this page:
>> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
>> and look for: Download AIR SDK & Compiler for Win 64 bit only
>> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air
>> /win64SDK/AIRSDK_Compiler.zip
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Apologies for this not really Flex related question, but I'm sure there
>>> are many experienced users around with knowledge of AIR specific topics.
>>> So
>>> I wanted to give it a try...
>>>
>>> When loading dozens of JPG images (compressed: ~ 2.5Mb, uncompressed ~
>>> 10Mb), my  Flex/AIR application stops with the "out of memory error" once
>>> about 1.6Gb of memory is used (data based on Scout).
>>>
>>> This can be reproduced.
>>>
>>> When I reduce the cache size my app is using for images. I can avoid that
>>> error. But since I have no control about what the users of my app are
>>> doing, I'd like to either find a way increasing the memory; or a clear
>>> statement (with a link if possible) that there indeed is a limit. Also
>>> for
>>> 64 bit systems.
>>>
>>> I run Flex 4.16 with AIR 25, but could reproduce this error with Flex
>>> 4.15
>>> and AIR 25 also. Actually testing on a WIndows 10 64 sytem with 24GB of
>>> RAM.
>>>
>>> If you have a suggestion for a better place posting my question, please
>>> share (Adobe, SO, ...?)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Hans

Re: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Hans Nuecke
Thanks Josh,

just to summarize and see if I got it correctly:

  * The "AIR SDK for Flex" does not support Windows 64 Bit
  * The "AIR SDK with compiler" does support 64 Bit
  * to make use of both (Flex AND 64 Bit)
    I first run adl from the "Air SDK for Flex" package,
    and then run the adt.bat from the "AIR SDK with compiler" package

Using the adle.exe is what I always did so far.
Obviously I "only" have to learn how to use the adt tool to get the 64
bit benefit.

Did I mess or misunderstood anything?
If you have a helpful link at hand on how to use adt would be great ;-)
Thanks again
Hans

Am 30.03.2017 um 14:58 schrieb Josh Tynjala:

> Currently, Windows 64-bit support isn't available in the AIR SDK without a
> compiler. That doesn't mean you can't use it, though. You could compile
> with the Flex SDK, and then call the adt command line tool from the
> separate AIR SDK to package the AIR captive runtime app.
>
> - Josh
>
> On Mar 30, 2017 1:07 AM, "Hans Nuecke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the SDK from that site (and already the new Beta that came
>> out yesterday).
>>
>> But I downloaded the "Download AIR SDK for Flex Developers for Windows <
>> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/
>> air/pvt/AdobeAIRSDK.zip>" package. Is that a 32Bit version only?!?
>>
>> There's no option to select 32 or 64 bit versions; or did I miss anything?
>>
>> So far I ignored the "AIR SDK & Compiler" versions, since I'm making use
>> of Flex.
>>
>> I'm preferably using IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Could I use the "SDL &
>> Compiler" version also?
>>
>> Sorry for that many stupid questions, but your remark sounds logical for
>> me (I ran into that limit with Outlook at those 32 bit times ;-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hans
>>

>> Am 30.03.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Clint M:
>>
>>> The limit you're probably hitting is a 32 bit memory limit.
>>>
>>> If you're _actually_ using AIR 25 for captive apps which is 64 bit for
>>> windows then I doubt you'll hit any memory limit.
>>>
>>> Check this page:
>>> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
>>> and look for: Download AIR SDK & Compiler for Win 64 bit only
>>> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air
>>> /win64SDK/AIRSDK_Compiler.zip
>>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apologies for this not really Flex related question, but I'm sure there

*Hans J. Nuecke* / Gorch-Fock-Str. 6 • 81827 Muenchen • Germany /
*VservU GmbH*
Home:                           +49 (89) 45344858              office:           +49 (89) 43906 707
mobile:                        +49 (176) 56529048
private: [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>                 business: [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>
website: www.vservu.de <http://vservu.de> www.megazine3.de
<http://megazine3.de>
Munich HRB 181251    Geschäftsführer:      Hans J. Nücke      USt-Id:   DE266694113

AW: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Weber Jan
Hi Hans,

for your information:
I have successfully build one of our projects with ADT using the 64Bit Beta version of AIR and was able to have the application run with over 4.5 GB of RAM without any issues.

ADT commands:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d128fc240122-8000.html

Command would look something like:

adt.bat -package -tsa none -storetype pkcs12 -keystore C:\something\cert.p12 -storepass mypassword -target bundle c:\test\Main.air C:\sandbox\project\Main-app.xml -C C:\sandbox\project\bin-debug Main.swf C:\sandbox\project\bin-debug\assets

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
just to summarize and see if I got it correctly:

  * The "AIR SDK for Flex" does not support Windows 64 Bit
  * The "AIR SDK with compiler" does support 64 Bit
  * to make use of both (Flex AND 64 Bit)
    I first run adl from the "Air SDK for Flex" package,
    and then run the adt.bat from the "AIR SDK with compiler" package

Using the adle.exe is what I always did so far.
Obviously I "only" have to learn how to use the adt tool to get the 64 bit benefit.

Did I mess or misunderstood anything?
If you have a helpful link at hand on how to use adt would be great ;-) Thanks again Hans

Mit freundlichen Gr??en / Best Regards
i.A. Jan Weber
Software Development

Contact:

Location:

Head & Accounts Office:

tel

+49 941 8700 326

Bahnhofstr. 16

Bahnhofstr. 16

fax

93047 Regensburg

93047 Regensburg

mail

[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Germany

Germany

[banner]
<http://www.dallmeier.com/index.php?id=1054>

Subscribe to our Newsletter<http://www.dallmeier.com/index.php?id=322&L=1>

www.dallmeier.com<http://www.dallmeier.com/en/home.html>

Social Media<http://www.dallmeier.com/index.php?id=292&L=1>

Dallmeier electronic GmbH & Co.KG

CEO:
Registry Court:
VAT ID:
Unlimited Partner:
Registry Court:

         Dieter Dallmeier
         Amtsgericht Regensburg HRA 6827
         DE813790649
         Dallmeier GmbH
         Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9085

Am 30.03.2017 um 14:58 schrieb Josh Tynjala:

> Currently, Windows 64-bit support isn't available in the AIR SDK
> without a compiler. That doesn't mean you can't use it, though. You
> could compile with the Flex SDK, and then call the adt command line
> tool from the separate AIR SDK to package the AIR captive runtime app.
>
> - Josh
>
> On Mar 30, 2017 1:07 AM, "Hans Nuecke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the SDK from that site (and already the new Beta that
>> came out yesterday).
>>
>> But I downloaded the "Download AIR SDK for Flex Developers for
>> Windows < https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/
>> air/pvt/AdobeAIRSDK.zip>" package. Is that a 32Bit version only?!?
>>
>> There's no option to select 32 or 64 bit versions; or did I miss anything?
>>
>> So far I ignored the "AIR SDK & Compiler" versions, since I'm making
>> use of Flex.
>>
>> I'm preferably using IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Could I use the "SDL &
>> Compiler" version also?
>>
>> Sorry for that many stupid questions, but your remark sounds logical
>> for me (I ran into that limit with Outlook at those 32 bit times ;-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hans
>>

>> Am 30.03.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Clint M:
>>
>>> The limit you're probably hitting is a 32 bit memory limit.
>>>
>>> If you're _actually_ using AIR 25 for captive apps which is 64 bit
>>> for windows then I doubt you'll hit any memory limit.
>>>
>>> Check this page:
>>> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html
>>> and look for: Download AIR SDK & Compiler for Win 64 bit only
>>> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air
>>> /win64SDK/AIRSDK_Compiler.zip
>>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apologies for this not really Flex related question, but I'm sure
>>> there

*Hans J. Nuecke* / Gorch-Fock-Str. 6 * 81827 Muenchen * Germany / *VservU GmbH*
Home:                           +49 (89) 45344858              office:           +49 (89) 43906 707
mobile:                        +49 (176) 56529048
private: [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>                 business: [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>
website: www.vservu.de<http://www.vservu.de> <http://vservu.de> www.megazine3.de<http://www.megazine3.de> <http://megazine3.de>
Munich HRB 181251    Gesch?ftsf?hrer:      Hans J. N?cke      USt-Id:   DE266694113

Re: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Hans Nuecke
Excellent! Thank you very much to both of you (Josh and Jan); this is
encouraging and very helpful.

I will give it a try soon

Hans

Am 31.03.2017 um 09:29 schrieb Weber Jan:

> Hi Hans,
>
> for your information:
> I have successfully build one of our projects with ADT using the 64Bit Beta version of AIR and was able to have the application run with over 4.5 GB of RAM without any issues.
>

> ADT commands:
> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d128fc240122-8000.html
>
> Command would look something like:
>
> adt.bat -package -tsa none -storetype pkcs12 -keystore C:\something\cert.p12 -storepass mypassword -target bundle c:\test\Main.air C:\sandbox\project\Main-app.xml -C C:\sandbox\project\bin-debug Main.swf C:\sandbox\project\bin-debug\assets
>

> -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

1. Correct. However, I expect that when Windows 64-bit support comes out of
beta, there will be a version that you can merge with the Flex SDK.
2. Correct. For now, this is the only SDK that supports packaging Windows
64-bit AIR apps.
3. Yes, you can use any version of ADL to simulate your AIR app on your
computer, unless you need to test with the higher memory limits of the
64-bit version. The version of ADL in the AIR SDK for Flex will still be
32-bit.

- Josh

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Josh,
>
> just to summarize and see if I got it correctly:
>
>  * The "AIR SDK for Flex" does not support Windows 64 Bit
>  * The "AIR SDK with compiler" does support 64 Bit
>  * to make use of both (Flex AND 64 Bit)
>    I first run adl from the "Air SDK for Flex" package,
>    and then run the adt.bat from the "AIR SDK with compiler" package
>
> Using the adle.exe is what I always did so far.
> Obviously I "only" have to learn how to use the adt tool to get the 64 bit
> benefit.
>
> Did I mess or misunderstood anything?
> If you have a helpful link at hand on how to use adt would be great ;-)
> Thanks again
> Hans
>

> Am 30.03.2017 um 14:58 schrieb Josh Tynjala:
>
>> Currently, Windows 64-bit support isn't available in the AIR SDK without a
>> compiler. That doesn't mean you can't use it, though. You could compile
>> with the Flex SDK, and then call the adt command line tool from the
>> separate AIR SDK to package the AIR captive runtime app.
>>
>> - Josh
>>
>> On Mar 30, 2017 1:07 AM, "Hans Nuecke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I downloaded the SDK from that site (and already the new Beta that came
>>> out yesterday).
>>>
>>> But I downloaded the "Download AIR SDK for Flex Developers for Windows <
>>> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/
>>> air/pvt/AdobeAIRSDK.zip>" package. Is that a 32Bit version only?!?
>>>
>>> There's no option to select 32 or 64 bit versions; or did I miss
>>> anything?
>>>
>>> So far I ignored the "AIR SDK & Compiler" versions, since I'm making use
>>> of Flex.
>>>
>>> I'm preferably using IntelliJ IDEA as IDE. Could I use the "SDL &
>>> Compiler" version also?
>>>
>>> Sorry for that many stupid questions, but your remark sounds logical for
>>> me (I ran into that limit with Outlook at those 32 bit times ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>>> Am 30.03.2017 um 03:02 schrieb Clint M:
>>>
>>> The limit you're probably hitting is a 32 bit memory limit.

> *Hans J. Nuecke* / Gorch-Fock-Str. 6 • 81827 Muenchen • Germany / *VservU
> GmbH*
> Home:                           +49 (89) 45344858              office:
>        +49 (89) 43906 707
> mobile:                        +49 (176) 56529048
> private: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>                 business:
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> website: www.vservu.de <http://vservu.de> www.megazine3.de <
> http://megazine3.de>
> Munich HRB 181251    Geschäftsführer:      Hans J. Nücke      USt-Id:
>  DE266694113

Re: out-of-memory error with AIR: are ther hard memory limits?

Hans Nuecke
Thanks, that fully answers my questions and clarifies things.

I now know what to do while debugging and deploying; very helpful!

Hans