linux sdk install help?

12

linux sdk install help?

Isaac Hanson
Could someone please point me to the instructions/download for
installing the SDK on Linux?  I want to replace the adobe version on
my build server (4.6) with the latest Apache version, but cannot find
anything regarding Linux support.

Thank you.

Isaac Hanson
Senior Software Engineer
Scholastic, Inc.

Scholastic, Inc.

Re: linux sdk install help?

Jeffry Houser

  Did you look at the release notes and/or the Readme files for the
latest version?

http://flex.apache.org/download.html

   Since the current version of AIR is no longer supported on Linux; I
do not believe you'll find the installer available.  But, you should be
able to compile it yourself.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: linux sdk install help?

Carol Frampton
Apache Flex is not supported on Linux.

Carol

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:33 PM, "Isaac Hanson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could someone please point me to the instructions/download for
> installing the SDK on Linux?  I want to replace the adobe version on
> my build server (4.6) with the latest Apache version, but cannot find
> anything regarding Linux support.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Isaac Hanson
> Senior Software Engineer
> Scholastic, Inc.

Re: linux sdk install help?

Michael Montoya
How is it that Linux, THE open-source OS par excellence is not supported by a project under the Apache umbrella? this absolutely makes no sense to me. Supporting OSX can't possibly be all that different than suppoting Linux, which leads me to belive that the reason is more political than technical... boo this really turns me off to the project!

Long live the Penguin!

On Jan 26, 2013, at 11:15 PM, Carol Frampton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apache Flex is not supported on Linux.
>
> Carol
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:33 PM, "Isaac Hanson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Could someone please point me to the instructions/download for
>> installing the SDK on Linux?  I want to replace the adobe version on
>> my build server (4.6) with the latest Apache version, but cannot find
>> anything regarding Linux support.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Isaac Hanson
>> Senior Software Engineer
>> Scholastic, Inc.

Re: linux sdk install help?

Jeffry Houser

On 1/26/2013 5:31 PM, Michael Montoya wrote:
> How is it that Linux, THE open-source OS par excellence is not supported by a project under the Apache umbrella? this absolutely makes no sense to me. Supporting OSX can't possibly be all that different than suppoting Linux, which leads me to belive that the reason is more political than technical...

  Or it could be limited resources and differing priorities of folks
working on Apache Flex.

> boo this really turns me off to the project!

  The great thing about open source and the way the Apache Foundation
works is that you can make it a priority; and put in the work to make
sure the SDK compiles on Linux; and then helping get documentation
and/or code changes into the next release of Apache Flex.  If you're not
a committer you can donate said documentation and/or code via the JIRA
bug base.

  I believe that would be productive use of your frustration for the
lack of support.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
http://www.flextras.com?c=104
http://www.theflexshow.com
http://www.jeffryhouser.com
http://www.asktheflexpert.com
--
Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust

Re: linux sdk install help?

jmclean
Administrator

Does anyone know what the issues are for not being able to support Linux?  It's probably not a long list especially if Adobe 4.6 was supported.

Justin

Re: linux sdk install help?

Alex Harui

On 1/26/13 4:35 PM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know what the issues are for not being able to support Linux?
> It's probably not a long list especially if Adobe 4.6 was supported.

Well, technically, only the official release is not supported on linux
because there are no Adobe build tools for PixelBender and the
ExtensionManager.  IOW, you cannot run the build on Linux.

However, the convenience binary distribution might work, but I don't think
it has been tested by anyone.  Also note that the installers do not install
linux versions of AIR for you so the recipe for linux (in theory) is to:

1) download and expand the binary distribution (I think I would use the mac
distribution's tar.gz
2) read the readme and download all of the necessary parts yourself and set
up the appropriate environment variables.

But I don't know anything about linux so I could certainly be missing
something.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: linux sdk install help?

Alex Harui

On 1/26/13 2:31 PM, "Michael Montoya" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How is it that Linux, THE open-source OS par excellence is not supported by a
> project under the Apache umbrella?
There are parts of the SDK that embed pixel bender executables.  According
to Apache rules, a release must be all source, so the build script requires
that you compile the pixel bender sources into their executables.  Adobe
does not have pixel bender compilers for Linux.

> this absolutely makes no sense to me.
> Supporting OSX can't possibly be all that different than suppoting Linux,
> which leads me to belive that the reason is more political than technical...
> boo this really turns me off to the project!
It is a legal technicality.  We should look into making the pixel bender
stuff optional somehow.

In theory, you should be able to manually install and setup one of the
binary distributions on Linux.  However, none of the active committers are
using Linux as far as I can tell.  I would love to have someone who is a
regular Linux user help us test the release candidates on Linux and help
with documentation or even contribute to the installer.  Would you like to
volunteer?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: linux sdk install help?

OmPrakash Muppirala
What about the AIR SDK 3.4 that is the required minimum for Apache Flex 4.9?

Om

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/26/13 2:31 PM, "Michael Montoya" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How is it that Linux, THE open-source OS par excellence is not supported
> by a
> > project under the Apache umbrella?
> There are parts of the SDK that embed pixel bender executables.  According
> to Apache rules, a release must be all source, so the build script requires
> that you compile the pixel bender sources into their executables.  Adobe
> does not have pixel bender compilers for Linux.
>
> > this absolutely makes no sense to me.
> > Supporting OSX can't possibly be all that different than suppoting Linux,
> > which leads me to belive that the reason is more political than
> technical...
> > boo this really turns me off to the project!
> It is a legal technicality.  We should look into making the pixel bender
> stuff optional somehow.
>
> In theory, you should be able to manually install and setup one of the
> binary distributions on Linux.  However, none of the active committers are
> using Linux as far as I can tell.  I would love to have someone who is a
> regular Linux user help us test the release candidates on Linux and help
> with documentation or even contribute to the installer.  Would you like to
> volunteer?
>

> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: linux sdk install help?

Alex Harui

On 1/26/13 9:45 PM, "Om" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about the AIR SDK 3.4 that is the required minimum for Apache Flex 4.9?
Good point, I guess maybe that would have been a good reason not to force a
new minimum, but even then, the binary distribution should work because
Justin did all of that work to allow older versions of AIR.  AFAIK, we have
no actual dependency on that version of AIR, but I might be forgetting
something.

Justin can probably best advise on how to drop a binary distribution back to
an older AIR version.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: linux sdk install help?

jmclean
Administrator

> What about the AIR SDK 3.4 that is the required minimum for Apache Flex 4.9?
It not really a required minimum just the default. You can install any version.

Justin

Re: linux sdk install help?

jmclean
Administrator

> Justin can probably best advise on how to drop a binary distribution back to an older AIR version.
I think we just bundle a different version of AIR when/if we create a linux distribution. The last version of AIR available for linux is 2.6 so that's going back quite a few versions.

Justin

Re: linux sdk install help?

Alex Harui

On 1/26/13 10:33 PM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Justin can probably best advise on how to drop a binary distribution back to
>> an older AIR version.
> I think we just bundle a different version of AIR when/if we create a linux
> distribution. The last version of AIR available for linux is 2.6 so that's
> going back quite a few versions.
AFAICT, that maps to FP 10.2 so it "should" work.

I don't know when/if we'll get around to an official Linux distribution, so
I'm just wondering if you can help theorize on the recipe for working from a
4.9.0 binary distribution.  Is it as easy as editing the air-config.xml for
swf version 11?  Or would it be easier to get one of your recent scripts?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: linux sdk install help?

Łukasz Zaroda
I'm using linux. I'm not really linux "nerd" and didn't work on any open
source project yet, but if someone would show me what to do I can help
in testing and bug tracking so if anyone will start to work on something
like this, please let me know. I'm also looking forward for linux
support :) .

Łukasz

W dniu 27.01.2013 06:14, Alex Harui pisze:

> On 1/26/13 2:31 PM, "Michael Montoya" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> How is it that Linux, THE open-source OS par excellence is not supported by a
>> project under the Apache umbrella?
> There are parts of the SDK that embed pixel bender executables.  According
> to Apache rules, a release must be all source, so the build script requires
> that you compile the pixel bender sources into their executables.  Adobe
> does not have pixel bender compilers for Linux.
>
>> this absolutely makes no sense to me.
>> Supporting OSX can't possibly be all that different than suppoting Linux,
>> which leads me to belive that the reason is more political than technical...
>> boo this really turns me off to the project!
> It is a legal technicality.  We should look into making the pixel bender
> stuff optional somehow.
>
> In theory, you should be able to manually install and setup one of the
> binary distributions on Linux.  However, none of the active committers are
> using Linux as far as I can tell.  I would love to have someone who is a
> regular Linux user help us test the release candidates on Linux and help
> with documentation or even contribute to the installer.  Would you like to
> volunteer?

Re: linux sdk install help?

Brad Neufeld
When I have completed my current project, I would be happy to test a linux distribution as well.  It is my preferred environment and I had to setup a virtual machine just to run XP and Flex.  It would be great to get rid of that extra step.

I was never clear what the specific technical hurdles were that Adobe was unable to overcome in order to port to Linux, and I hope we do not find out that the problem is much more intractable than one might think.

Cheers,
Brad

Re: linux sdk install help?

Michael Montoya
I was always under the impression that the lack of support stemmed from the flash plugin for the respective browsers on Linux...

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Brad Neufeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I have completed my current project, I would be happy to test a linux distribution as well.  It is my preferred environment and I had to setup a virtual machine just to run XP and Flex.  It would be great to get rid of that extra step.
>
> I was never clear what the specific technical hurdles were that Adobe was unable to overcome in order to port to Linux, and I hope we do not find out that the problem is much more intractable than one might think.
>
> Cheers,
> Brad

Re: linux sdk install help?

Alex Harui

On 1/27/13 1:36 AM, "Brad Neufeld" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I have completed my current project, I would be happy to test a linux
> distribution as well.  It is my preferred environment and I had to setup a
> virtual machine just to run XP and Flex.  It would be great to get rid of that
> extra step.
Remember that Apache Flex is not in charge of the Flash Builder IDE.  What
SDK dependencies caused you to have to use XP in the past?

> I was never clear what the specific technical hurdles were that Adobe was
> unable to overcome in order to port to Linux, and I hope we do not find out
> that the problem is much more intractable than one might think.
I'm pretty sure folks used Adobe Flex on Linux without Flash Builder and
without XP VMs.  For now, I'm looking for help seeing if we can make the Mac
OSX binary distribution work on Linux.  Hope you can help.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: linux sdk install help?

Alex Harui

On 1/27/13 2:52 AM, "Michael Montoya" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was always under the impression that the lack of support stemmed from the
> flash plugin for the respective browsers on Linux...
Yes, it is true that Adobe has stopped development of AIR and browser
plug-ins on Linux and Adobe kept upping the minimum player version for Flex.
However, Justin seems to have done the work to allow you to use the Apache
Flex 4.9.0 release on older versions all the way back to 10.2/AIR2.6, so it
would be great to see someone actually try it out.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: linux sdk install help?

Jeffry Houser
On 1/27/2013 11:21 AM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 1/27/13 2:52 AM, "Michael Montoya" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I was always under the impression that the lack of support stemmed from the
>> flash plugin for the respective browsers on Linux...
> Yes, it is true that Adobe has stopped development of AIR and browser
> plug-ins on Linux
  I thought that Flash Player still worked on Linux?  It had something
to do w/ a new plugin API--Pepper--I believe?
  Does the new 'Pepper Flash' not count as a plugin?  Or has that been
abandoned too?

Linux is still covered in the Flash Platform Roadmap:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

12