iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Erik J. Thomas
Apple recently started enforcing the use of an asset catalog for app icons if the app was compiled using iOS 11 SDK. If the icons are not inside an asset catalog that's compiled into the binary itself iTC will refuse your build with this message:

"Apps built with iOS 11 or later SDK must supply app icons in an asset catalog and must also provide a value for this Info.plist key. For more information see http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7 <http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7>."

I suppose this might be a question for the Flex developer mailing list, but I'm assuming AIR 27 is still bundling the iOS 10 SDK? Because if it bundled iOS 11 SDK my AIR apps would fail to load into iTunes Connect.

We also build native apps and as of the past few weeks, Apple has started rejecting apps that don't use app catalogs for app icons. I expect the Flex community will run into this same issue if/when AIR SDK starts including iOS 11 SDK.

Does anyone know what version of iOS SDK that AIR 27 uses to build the IPA?

Thanks.

Erik

Re: iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Erik J. Thomas
Or perhaps iOS SDK is packaged with the Flex SDK? If so, what version? I can't find anything on the web that explains how an iOS app is compiled using FlexSDK or AIRSDK. I understand there is the runtime component but I do not configure my project to use an external XCode iOS SDK to build (I use IntelliJ and that's configurable) so if I don't, then it must be getting compiled with an iOS SDK that's bundled somehow with Flex or AIR.

I am very weak in my understanding of this issue. None of the release notes I can find on AIR and Flex SDK releases mention the iOS SDK but they do mention macOS SDK for desktop AIR apps.

Thanks.

Erik

On Jan 4, 2018, at 10:25 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Erik

Re: iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Greg Dove
Hi Erik,

iOS SDK version is 'bundled' with Air SDK, but there is a way to specify an
external location for iOS SDK to point to a different external sdk version
when packaging.

AIR 28 sdk will be the first one that has iOS11 by default and will
therefore have the new requirements.
You can read about that here:
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/shared/air28_flashplayer28_releasenotes.pdf

One way I check things is to look at the builds themselves.
An ipa file is basically a zip archive (apk is similar for android).
If you open it in an archive utility and either extract or directly open
the file Info.plist (inside the main Payload folder) in a text editor you
can usually find some helpful info.,
Here is an extract of what I found for an AIR 27 build:

<key>DTPlatformName</key>
        <string>iphoneos</string>
        <key>DTSDKName</key>
        <string>iphoneos10.1</string>
        <key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
        <string>10.1</string>
        <key>DTXcode</key>
        <string>0810</string>
        <key>DTXcodeBuild</key>
        <string>8B62</string>

This seems clear to me that Air 27 is using iOS 10.1

Hope that is helpful...
Greg

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or perhaps iOS SDK is packaged with the Flex SDK? If so, what version? I
> can't find anything on the web that explains how an iOS app is compiled
> using FlexSDK or AIRSDK. I understand there is the runtime component but I
> do not configure my project to use an external XCode iOS SDK to build (I
> use IntelliJ and that's configurable) so if I don't, then it must be
> getting compiled with an iOS SDK that's bundled somehow with Flex or AIR.
>
> I am very weak in my understanding of this issue. None of the release
> notes I can find on AIR and Flex SDK releases mention the iOS SDK but they
> do mention macOS SDK for desktop AIR apps.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Erik
>
> On Jan 4, 2018, at 10:25 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Apple recently started enforcing the use of an asset catalog for app icons
> if the app was compiled using iOS 11 SDK. If the icons are not inside an
> asset catalog that's compiled into the binary itself iTC will refuse your
> build with this message:
>
> "Apps built with iOS 11 or later SDK must supply app icons in an asset
> catalog and must also provide a value for this Info.plist key. For more
> information see http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7 <
> http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7>."
>
> I suppose this might be a question for the Flex developer mailing list,
> but I'm assuming AIR 27 is still bundling the iOS 10 SDK? Because if it
> bundled iOS 11 SDK my AIR apps would fail to load into iTunes Connect.
>
> We also build native apps and as of the past few weeks, Apple has started
> rejecting apps that don't use app catalogs for app icons. I expect the Flex
> community will run into this same issue if/when AIR SDK starts including
> iOS 11 SDK.
>
> Does anyone know what version of iOS SDK that AIR 27 uses to build the IPA?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Erik

Re: iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Erik J. Thomas
Hey Greg that’s perfect. Thanks for the info. I wonder how adobe plans to get around the asset catalog requirement. Do you suppose they create an asset catalog during the build?

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>> build with this message:
>>
>> "Apps built with iOS 11 or later SDK must supply app icons in an asset
>> catalog and must also provide a value for this Info.plist key. For more
>> information see http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7 <
>> http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7>."
>>
>> I suppose this might be a question for the Flex developer mailing list,
>> but I'm assuming AIR 27 is still bundling the iOS 10 SDK? Because if it
>> bundled iOS 11 SDK my AIR apps would fail to load into iTunes Connect.
>>
>> We also build native apps and as of the past few weeks, Apple has started
>> rejecting apps that don't use app catalogs for app icons. I expect the Flex
>> community will run into this same issue if/when AIR SDK starts including
>> iOS 11 SDK.
>>
>> Does anyone know what version of iOS SDK that AIR 27 uses to build the IPA?

Re: iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Greg Dove
'I wonder how adobe plans to get around the asset catalog requirement. Do
you suppose they create an asset catalog during the build'

At the moment that is not the case - see the section titled 'iOS SDK
Upgrade' in the air28 release notes. I don't know if this will change or
not. but for now it is a manual step and requires a mac & xcode9 (my main
dev setup is windows, but I had to get a small mac for dealing with the
occasional mac-only build requirements or differences).

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:07 AM, Linqto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> catalog and must also provide a value for this Info.plist key. For more
> >> information see http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7
> <
> >> http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7>."
> >>
> >> I suppose this might be a question for the Flex developer mailing list,
> >> but I'm assuming AIR 27 is still bundling the iOS 10 SDK? Because if it
> >> bundled iOS 11 SDK my AIR apps would fail to load into iTunes Connect.
> >>
> >> We also build native apps and as of the past few weeks, Apple has
> started
> >> rejecting apps that don't use app catalogs for app icons. I expect the
> Flex
> >> community will run into this same issue if/when AIR SDK starts including
> >> iOS 11 SDK.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what version of iOS SDK that AIR 27 uses to build the

Re: iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Tom Chiverton
"it is a manual step and requires a mac & xcode9"
What the heck do Adobe think they are doing? Why doesn't AIR just build a correctly packaged app?!?

No sign from their docs this will be temporary.
Another project that let non-Apple owners write for Mac is killed off.

But this is probably not the place to moan.

On 4 January 2018 20:16:18 GMT+00:00, Greg Dove <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>release
>but
>> they

>app
>> icons
>inside an
>refuse
>> your

>asset
>more
>http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7
>> <

>list,
>if it
>Connect.

>> started
>the
>> Flex
>including

>the
>> IPA?

>This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud

Tom Chiverton

Re: iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Dave Fisher
Hi -

If you are building a MacOS, tvOS or iOS app then Apple wants you to use xCode.

Adobe is being treated like every other Apple Developer.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 1:11 PM, Tom Chiverton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "it is a manual step and requires a mac & xcode9"
> What the heck do Adobe think they are doing? Why doesn't AIR just build a correctly packaged app?!?
>
> No sign from their docs this will be temporary.
> Another project that let non-Apple owners write for Mac is killed off.
>
> But this is probably not the place to moan.
>
>> On 4 January 2018 20:16:18 GMT+00:00, Greg Dove <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 'I wonder how adobe plans to get around the asset catalog requirement.
>> Do
>> you suppose they create an asset catalog during the build'
>>
>> At the moment that is not the case - see the section titled 'iOS SDK
>> Upgrade' in the air28 release notes. I don't know if this will change
>> or
>> not. but for now it is a manual step and requires a mac & xcode9 (my
>> main
>> dev setup is windows, but I had to get a small mac for dealing with the
>> occasional mac-only build requirements or differences).
>>

>>> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:07 AM, Linqto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Greg that’s perfect. Thanks for the info. I wonder how adobe
>> plans to
>>> get around the asset catalog requirement. Do you suppose they create
>> an
>>> asset catalog during the build?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> specify
>>> an
>>> version

>>> shared/air28_flashplayer28_releasenotes.pdf

>> android).
>> open
>> editor you

>> version? I
>> compiled
>> component
>>> but I
>> build (I
>> be
>> or
>>> AIR.

>> release
>> but
>>> they

>> app
>>> icons
>> inside an
>> refuse
>>> your

>> asset
>> more
>> http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7
>>> <

>> list,
>> if it
>> Connect.

>>> started
>> the
>>> Flex
>> including

>> the
>>> IPA?

>> This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud
>> service.
>> For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com

> Tom Chiverton

Re: iOS SDK Version in AIR 27

Tom Chiverton
Hopefully PhoneGap / Cordova figures out a work around...