Updating a Program

bilbosax
I haven't looked into it yet, so thought I would start by asking the wise people here.  I have written an AIR app that runs on the desktop, with a version that works on mobile as well.  If I ever add a new feature or improve the efficiency of the code, I want to offer users updates that they can download from the app store or from my website for the desktop app.  How hard is it to get an AIR app to update?  And by update, I mean totally replace the existing application with the new application, I am concerned that it will just install a new application next to the existing application instead of replacing it.

Re: Updating a Program

flex capacitor
It takes a few hours of setup work and then half an hour to an hour each
time you create a new build.

I've created a class that helps with the process here
<http://bit.ly/2jQ73yh>. Once you set it up you don't have to change the
code. The setup instructions are in the class ASDocs. They may be slightly
outdated. Let me know.

Then in the future you update the application descriptor online. For the
updating process I use the steps listed here <http://bit.ly/2lcQc5K>.

Whenever you upload a new version and the user opens your app a window will
pop up that asks them if they want to update. If they click yes then your
existing application is updated. All the users existing data is preserved.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 9:36 PM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't looked into it yet, so thought I would start by asking the wise
> people here.  I have written an AIR app that runs on the desktop, with a
> version that works on mobile as well.  If I ever add a new feature or
> improve the efficiency of the code, I want to offer users updates that they
> can download from the app store or from my website for the desktop app.
> How
> hard is it to get an AIR app to update?  And by update, I mean totally
> replace the existing application with the new application, I am concerned
> that it will just install a new application next to the existing
> application
> instead of replacing it.

Re: Updating a Program

clintm
As long as the app id's are the same it will update the application in
place.

If I remember right… if you change the certificate you'll have to either a)
change the app id or ask users to uninstall the current app first because
the install will fail.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 7:36 PM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't looked into it yet, so thought I would start by asking the wise
> people here.  I have written an AIR app that runs on the desktop, with a
> version that works on mobile as well.  If I ever add a new feature or
> improve the efficiency of the code, I want to offer users updates that they
> can download from the app store or from my website for the desktop app.
> How
> hard is it to get an AIR app to update?  And by update, I mean totally
> replace the existing application with the new application, I am concerned
> that it will just install a new application next to the existing
> application
> instead of replacing it.

Re: Updating a Program

Holy cow! I appreciate all of the information you have provided, but doesn't the Flex Framework have an easier, more straight forward way to update an app??? I figured maybe I would just have to update the version in my descriptor file or something a little more direct. There isn't a simpler way to do this?

By the way, I love your username!

Re: Updating a Program

Thanks Clintm, I figured it would be something more direct like this. Do you know how long a certificate lasts? I'm hoping this app will have a long lifetime(10 years) and don't know if a certificate can be used for that long?

Re: Updating a Program

Alex Harui
IMO, Clint's suggestion is the recommended practice.  However, IIRC, some
folks have installed a shell app that loads the guts of the  app as a
module.  Then you can update the app by changing the module and there
isn't an install/upgrade, or at least, not the one you normally do with
AIR apps.

I believe there are some tricks involved around security and being
off-line, loading the module and caching locally, etc.  I just wanted you
to know that is a possibility as well.

-Alex

On 2/5/17, 4:26 PM, "bilbosax" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks Clintm, I figured it would be something more direct like this. Do
>you
>know how long a certificate lasts? I'm hoping this app will have a long
>lifetime(10 years) and don't know if a certificate can be used for that
>long?

Re: Updating a Program

Nemi
Did you forget to write b) ? :)

b) app can last forever, just migrate certificate. Look Signing an updated version of an AIR application

Re: Updating a Program

Nemi
digicert.com offers Code Signing & EV Code Signing Certificates that lasts 3 years.

After it expires you have one year to do an update with migrated certificate:
To apply a migration signature, the original certificate must still be valid or have expired within the last 365 days. This period is termed as the ‘grace period’ and the duration can change in the future.

Re: Updating a Program

Nemi
If you want to use AIR's framework take a look at docs:
Updating AIR applications
Using the update framework

There is also nativeapplicationupdater on github and on google code for native desktop apps.

It is easy thing to do. Most important thing is to understand workflow. It can be like this:

When app starts it must:
1. check yourserver/update.xml for newer version
2. if there is newer; download, install (for this you can use AIR's update framework or some custom one)

Setting new app version:
1. Replace yourserver/yourapp.exe with new version
2. edit version information in yourserver/update.xml

update.xml contains link for latest yourserver/yourapp.exe and its version label.

Re: Updating a Program

Do you know if updating an app per Clintm's suggestion will leave SQLite databases intact, or will they get wiped out in the update?

Re: Updating a Program

clintm
SqlLite db's will be intact.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:34 AM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you know if updating an app per Clintm's suggestion will leave SQLite
> databases intact, or will they get wiped out in the update?

Re: Updating a Program

flex capacitor
Well, the information I gave you is using the AIR Application Updater. It
wraps that functionality up. The AIR updater is a framework that notifies
your users of new updates, allows installs from the web, provides a nice UI
and so on.

But at it's simplest form AIR apps can be updated by creating a new version
and double clicking on it. When you do that it will prompt you that you
already have the app installed and if you want to overwrite the installed
version.

Like everyone said just make sure the version number is newer, the id in
the descriptor is the same, and the certificate is the same.

On Feb 5, 2017 6:24 PM, "bilbosax" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Holy cow! I appreciate all of the information you have provided, but
> doesn't
> the Flex Framework have an easier, more straight forward way to update an
> app??? I figured maybe I would just have to update the version in my
> descriptor file or something a little more direct. There isn't a simpler
> way
> to do this?
>
> By the way, I love your username!

Re: Updating a Program

OmPrakash Muppirala
The Apache Flex Installer uses application updated.  Here is the code for
it:

https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/blob/develop/flex-installer/installer/src/org/apache/flex/packageflexsdk/view/UpdaterDialog.mxml

You should be able to reuse/copy the functionality from here as needed.