Targeting both older and newer versions of FP

Targeting both older and newer versions of FP

Mihai Ene
Hey guys, hope I'm not bothering too much with these questions.

Can Apache Flex 4.8.0 be used to target both Flash Player 10.1 and Flash Player 11.4?

Project details:

I have a project with 2 video streams, input and output. It is currently built with Adobe Flex 4.5.1A for 10.1 support but I would like to have newer features for newer players (such as echo cancellation - 10.3, and GPU video rendering - 11.4). Older flash player versions can play newer -swf-version, but the compiler will not compile for minimum version 10.1 if functions available in 11.4 are used in the project.

Detailed question:

Can Apache Flex 4.8.0 target older FP versions (modifying .xml file for minimum version) and build code only available in playerglobal-v11.4.swc? If i copy the 11.4 playerglobal.swc in the 10.1 folder, will it compile? I can handle different FP versions in my project (simple if-else), but the problem is with the compiler, since it throws errors if I include 11.4 functionality and target FP10.1...

Re: Targeting both older and newer versions of FP

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

I managed to get Apache Flex to compile for 10.2 but not 10.1 believe there were some changes to SystemManager that prevent it compiling under 10.1, with a little bit of work it may be possible to get it working under 10.1.

I'd compile a compile of versions of the SDK targeting different Flash Player versions and use separate projects to compile against different version of the SDK. The different versions of playerglobal.swc go into separate directories with the version number in the path.

You need to change the player version here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/sdk/trunk/build.properties?view=markup

Edit line 27 "playerglobal.version = 11.1" and compile the SDK via ant.

Hope that helps,
Justin

Re: Targeting both older and newer versions of FP

Mihai Ene
Can you target both old FP10.2 and new FP11.4 features with a single swf file? That's the basic idea, not having two separate projects, since the FP11.4 features throw an error when compiling for FP10.2

________________________________

Hope that helps,
Justin

Re: Targeting both older and newer versions of FP

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

Assuming you are using Flash Builder a project can only use be compiled for one version on the Flex SDK, so if you want to use multiple version of the SDK you generally need multiple projects. It would be possible to use ant to compile a single project against multiple version of the SDK but it probably easier to use multiple Flash Builder SDK projects.  Each project  for separate SDKs could share code via a virtual directory or via a library project.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Targeting both older and newer versions of FP

Alex Harui

On 9/11/12 5:47 AM, "Mihai Ene" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you target both old FP10.2 and new FP11.4 features with a single swf file?
> That's the basic idea, not having two separate projects, since the FP11.4
> features throw an error when compiling for FP10.2

Technically, you can't do that no matter how many SWF files you use.  The
first SWF loaded by the player determines the APIs available and code paths
taken by those APIs for that SWF and any subsequent SWF loaded by that
player instance.

It is rare for Flash to remove an API so you can usually have the first SWF
target the latest player version and no code will fail for lack of access to
an API, but if you have code that depends on old (and maybe even buggy)
player behavior in an API, then you might run into a problem.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

An official mavenized SDK ?

Frédéric THOMAS

Time ago, I indicated a way to mavenized the SDK
http://markmail.org/search/?q=%5Borg.apache.incubator.flex-dev%5D++webdouble
fx+install+maven#query:%5Borg.apache.incubator.flex-dev%5D%20%20webdoublefx%
20install%20maven+page:1+mid:rh3o3dvfberd7l2r+state:results, is there an
official way now  ?

I remember I spoke with Espen few month ago in Paris and he told me he is
was in process to do it, any progress ?

What about FlexMojos 6 and FlexUnit 4.2, any progress to make them work
together ?

Frédéric

AW: An official mavenized SDK ?

Christofer Dutz
Hi Frederic,

I recently pushed my flexunit changes back to trunk so Flexmojos 5.x and 6.x should be compatable with Flexunit 4.1 ...
If I understand it correctly flexunit 4.2 will the the flexunit version under the hood of Apache? I guess migrating should be pretty simple. If you could open an issue in https://flexmojos.atlassian.net/ for that and attach a sample project similar to the one in https://flexmojos.atlassian.net/browse/FLEXMOJOS-872 it would make my life a lot easier :-)

Regarding the FDK generator I was working on ... I won't be able to do much this week but hopefully I will spare some time to continue my work on this in the next 2 weeks. As soon as I sorted out the issues with that and with Flexmojos 6.x support of them, I will contribute the code of the generator to Apache Flex ... hopefully the guys will start to publish them, but at least you should be able to generate your own FDKs then.

Chris

RE: An official mavenized SDK ?

Frédéric THOMAS
Great news Chris you've been able to make it compatible with FU 4.1, btw,
does FU 4.1 stand in an official repo now ? (we putted it manually in our
own one).

I'm really interesting by your FDK generator, is it very different than the
way I indicated here:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=%5Borg.apache.incubator.flex-dev%5D++webdouble
fx+install+maven#query:%5Borg.apache.incubator.flex-dev%5D%20%20webdoublefx%
20install%20maven+page:1+mid:rh3o3dvfberd7l2r+state:results ?

And sorry, I didn't get what you want me to do exactly :P

Fred

AW: An official mavenized SDK ?

Christofer Dutz
Hi Frederic,

Flexunit 4.1 was officially released by mike a few weeks ago. I helped him find out which packages were actually needed (initially one build would have been made for each fdk, but we were able to strip it down to 3 versions ... "as3", "flex3" and "flex4". I then published the artifacts in the sonatype repo for him and they are now publically available as Maven artifacts (https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/org/flexunit/ ... notice the change to "org.flexunit" in the gid).

In Flexmojos there were a few issues regarding parameterized tests. On the mailing list someone published a hack but I think that solved one problem and caused others. So I refactored quite a bit in the Unittest support project of Flexmojos and got everything running. A few days ago I updated the main Flexmojos trunk with those changes and am now waiting for Velo to release FM 5.1 (final).

My 6.x branch is a special branch that has the main difference that it operates on a different FDK structure. This was necessary because Velo usually deployed everything in the Flex FDKs as one. Unfortunately they are not. Therefore I split up the FDKs into 3 separate parts "Flex FDK", "Flash Runtime", "Air Runtime". I also did a number of fixes that should make builds (especially with signed RSLs) a little easier. Unfortunately some of these need me to refactor Flexmojos a little more. Currently FM6 seems to build my projects nicely, but I have had some reports with problems and am looking forward to solving them.

My FDK generator is a simple Java program, that you feed with a source and target directory. You unpack all the FKDs you want mavenized into the source directory and run it. The tool looks at the config-files in the FDKs and automatically generates Maven artifacts from them. If Apache doesn't want to start providing the FDKs (Or is not allowed to for legal reasons), at least Users should be able to generate any FDK version they like in about 1 Minute per FDK :-)

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. (This is my first day on this list ... I always thought I was already on it and the list was simply dead ;-) )

Chris

RE: AW: An official mavenized SDK ?

Frédéric THOMAS

Thx for your repley,

We had the same issue in FM 3.7.1 regarding parameterized tests  and we fixed it very quickly to make it work properly, that's nice if you fixed it in 5.x as I migrated our apps to Flex 4.6, FM4, FU 4.1 but because some of our customers are still in Flash 10.3, I need to fall back or in 4.1 or in 4.8, what I would like is to be in 4.8 but without a mavenized sdk which needs FM and FU updated (correct me if I'm wrong), it's not possible, that's the reason why I did my first post, to know at which point are these things in progress.

Do you like me to test the set of tools (FDK generator, FM 6, FU 4.1) ?

Frédéric THOMAS

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:07:24 +0200
> Subject: AW: An official mavenized SDK ?
>
> Hi Frederic,
>
> Flexunit 4.1 was officially released by mike a few weeks ago. I helped him find out which packages were actually needed (initially one build would have been made for each fdk, but we were able to strip it down to 3 versions ... "as3", "flex3" and "flex4". I then published the artifacts in the sonatype repo for him and they are now publically available as Maven artifacts (https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/org/flexunit/ ... notice the change to "org.flexunit" in the gid).
>
> In Flexmojos there were a few issues regarding parameterized tests. On the mailing list someone published a hack but I think that solved one problem and caused others. So I refactored quite a bit in the Unittest support project of Flexmojos and got everything running. A few days ago I updated the main Flexmojos trunk with those changes and am now waiting for Velo to release FM 5.1 (final).
>
> My 6.x branch is a special branch that has the main difference that it operates on a different FDK structure. This was necessary because Velo usually deployed everything in the Flex FDKs as one. Unfortunately they are not. Therefore I split up the FDKs into 3 separate parts "Flex FDK", "Flash Runtime", "Air Runtime". I also did a number of fixes that should make builds (especially with signed RSLs) a little easier. Unfortunately some of these need me to refactor Flexmojos a little more. Currently FM6 seems to build my projects nicely, but I have had some reports with problems and am looking forward to solving them.
>
> My FDK generator is a simple Java program, that you feed with a source and target directory. You unpack all the FKDs you want mavenized into the source directory and run it. The tool looks at the config-files in the FDKs and automatically generates Maven artifacts from them. If Apache doesn't want to start providing the FDKs (Or is not allowed to for legal reasons), at least Users should be able to generate any FDK version they like in about 1 Minute per FDK :-)
>
> I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. (This is my first day on this list ... I always thought I was already on it and the list was simply dead ;-) )
>
> Chris

AW: AW: An official mavenized SDK ?

Christofer Dutz
Hi Frederic,

Well I already have generated a working copy of the 4.8 FDK and the FM testsuite ran without problems (At least without unexpected problems ... after all 4.8 doesn't come with signed rsls and therefore the caching tests all fail) and FM6 supports Flexunit 4.1. I can send you a link to a binary test-version of my FDKs and Flexmojos6 and I would be glad to get some more feedback on any problems with them.

Chris

> [...]

> My FDK generator is a simple Java program, that you feed with a source and target directory. You unpack all the FKDs you want mavenized into the source directory and run it. The tool looks at the config-files in the FDKs and automatically generates Maven artifacts from them. If Apache doesn't want to start providing the FDKs (Or is not allowed to for legal reasons), at least Users should be able to generate any FDK version they like in about 1 Minute per FDK :-)
>
> I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. (This is my first day on this list ... I always thought I was already on it and the list was simply dead ;-) )

RE: AW: AW: An official mavenized SDK ?

Frédéric THOMAS

Yes, sure Chris, I'd like to test it, send me link in private, I'll test it over my company project from home this week end and I'll give you some feed back.

Frédéric THOMAS

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:57:18 +0200
> Subject: AW: AW: An official mavenized SDK ?
>
> Hi Frederic,
>
> Well I already have generated a working copy of the 4.8 FDK and the FM testsuite ran without problems (At least without unexpected problems ... after all 4.8 doesn't come with signed rsls and therefore the caching tests all fail) and FM6 supports Flexunit 4.1. I can send you a link to a binary test-version of my FDKs and Flexmojos6 and I would be glad to get some more feedback on any problems with them.
>
> Chris

BUILD SUCCESS: My Company App (1827 .as, 443 .mxml) using ApacheFlex sdk 4.8, FlexMojos 6.0, Flexunit 4.1, playerglobal 10.2

Thank you very much for your help Chris, can wait for your generator.

Frédéric THOMAS