Scaffold new Apache FlexJS applications with Yeoman and generator-flexjs

Scaffold new Apache FlexJS applications with Yeoman and generator-flexjs

Josh Tynjala
Hello, Flex community!

I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to share a new open source project
that I think you'll find useful if you're interested in Apache FlexJS.

If you haven't heard of Yeoman, it's a pretty cool tool for generating code
(along with any other supporting files) that you might need for a new
project. It's designed to work with any framework, and the community has
built a ton of "generators" that you can install to create a wide variety
of different projects. Today, I'm happy to introduce a Yeoman generator for
FlexJS.

To get started, you'll need Node.js, and you should install both "yo" and
"generator-flexjs" using npm:

npm install -g yo
npm install -g generator-flexjs

Then, create a new, empty directory for your project. Inside a terminal,
run the following command in the empty directory:

yo flexjs

It'll ask you a couple of simple questions, and then it will generate some
MXML files to get you started with a new project that uses the new Express
component set from FlexJS 0.8. It can even create an asconfig.json file for
Visual Studio Code, if you want.

There are some other commands that help you to create new MXML components,
along with new ActionScript classes and interfaces in your existing project
too. Check the readme file for details:

https://www.npmjs.com/package/generator-flexjs

I hope you'll take a moment to give it a try! Thank you, and happy coding!

Josh Tynjala
NextGen ActionScript

Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but generator-flexjs is
not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member of the
community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others might
enjoy. If you like these sorts of projects, please join my Patreon campaign
to lend a hand! https://www.patreon.com/josht

Re: Scaffold new Apache FlexJS applications with Yeoman and generator-flexjs

Harbs
+100!

This guy makes my development life better every day. :-)

Harbs

> If you like these sorts of projects, please join my Patreon campaign
> to lend a hand! https://www.patreon.com/josht <https://www.patreon.com/josht>

Re: Scaffold new Apache FlexJS applications with Yeoman and generator-flexjs

It's absolutely awesome what Josh is doing as just a single person.
Please go ahead and buy him a beer per month at least ;-)

Re: Scaffold new Apache FlexJS applications with Yeoman and generator-flexjs

Josh Tynjala
Thanks, Olaf and Harbs! Just trying to make sure my fellow Actionscript and
Flex developers have the good tools that we deserve.

- Josh