Quantcast

SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

123

SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
Hello, Flex community!

I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to plug one of my projects that I
think many Flex developers here will find useful.

As you may recall, I created an ActionScript and MXML extension for Visual
Studio Code a while back. Originally, my main focus was on creating a
development environment for FlexJS. Popular IDEs like Flash Builder and
IntelliJ IDEA require jumping through some hoops to work with FlexJS, and I
wanted to make sure the community has an editor where FlexJS is considered
a first-class citizen.

Well, I know many of you who are interested in FlexJS are also still
targeting Adobe AIR and Flash Player with the original Apache Flex SDK.
With that in mind, I've been working on ensuring that you can build
projects for these runtimes in Visual Studio Code too! Earlier this week, I
released a big, new update to the extension that adds support for SWF
debugging in AIR and Flash Player.

When you debug a SWF project in VSCode you'll be able to add breakpoints,
pause and step through your code, see trace() output in the console,
navigate the call stack, and inspect variables. It's a debugger with all
the bells and whistles that we've come to expect.

For more information about the Visual Studio Code extension, please visit
the website:

https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/

For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player, visit
the Github wiki:

https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki

With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!

https://www.patreon.com/josht

Thank you, and happy coding!

Josh Tynjala
NextGen ActionScript

Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
might enjoy.

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

clintm
dude

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Flex community!
>
> I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to plug one of my projects that I
> think many Flex developers here will find useful.
>
> As you may recall, I created an ActionScript and MXML extension for Visual
> Studio Code a while back. Originally, my main focus was on creating a
> development environment for FlexJS. Popular IDEs like Flash Builder and
> IntelliJ IDEA require jumping through some hoops to work with FlexJS, and I
> wanted to make sure the community has an editor where FlexJS is considered
> a first-class citizen.
>
> Well, I know many of you who are interested in FlexJS are also still
> targeting Adobe AIR and Flash Player with the original Apache Flex SDK.
> With that in mind, I've been working on ensuring that you can build
> projects for these runtimes in Visual Studio Code too! Earlier this week, I
> released a big, new update to the extension that adds support for SWF
> debugging in AIR and Flash Player.
>
> When you debug a SWF project in VSCode you'll be able to add breakpoints,
> pause and step through your code, see trace() output in the console,
> navigate the call stack, and inspect variables. It's a debugger with all
> the bells and whistles that we've come to expect.
>
> For more information about the Visual Studio Code extension, please visit
> the website:
>
> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>
> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player, visit
> the Github wiki:
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>
> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>
> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>
> Thank you, and happy coding!
>
> Josh Tynjala
> NextGen ActionScript
>
> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
> might enjoy.

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

clintm
trying to get it setup… do I need both the flexjs and flexswf sdks?

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Flex community!
>
> I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to plug one of my projects that I
> think many Flex developers here will find useful.
>
> As you may recall, I created an ActionScript and MXML extension for Visual
> Studio Code a while back. Originally, my main focus was on creating a
> development environment for FlexJS. Popular IDEs like Flash Builder and
> IntelliJ IDEA require jumping through some hoops to work with FlexJS, and I
> wanted to make sure the community has an editor where FlexJS is considered
> a first-class citizen.
>
> Well, I know many of you who are interested in FlexJS are also still
> targeting Adobe AIR and Flash Player with the original Apache Flex SDK.
> With that in mind, I've been working on ensuring that you can build
> projects for these runtimes in Visual Studio Code too! Earlier this week, I
> released a big, new update to the extension that adds support for SWF
> debugging in AIR and Flash Player.
>
> When you debug a SWF project in VSCode you'll be able to add breakpoints,
> pause and step through your code, see trace() output in the console,
> navigate the call stack, and inspect variables. It's a debugger with all
> the bells and whistles that we've come to expect.
>
> For more information about the Visual Studio Code extension, please visit
> the website:
>
> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>
> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player, visit
> the Github wiki:
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>
> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>
> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>
> Thank you, and happy coding!
>
> Josh Tynjala
> NextGen ActionScript
>
> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
> might enjoy.

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

clintm
ha… got it to compile my flex mobile project with a couple of workarounds…

- "library-path": [ "libs" ], didn't work… I had to do: "additionalOptions":
"-library-path+=libs/",
- I had to install both the flex sdk and the flexjs sdk… my
./.vscode/settings.json looks like:
// Place your settings in this file to overwrite default and user settings.
{
    "nextgenas.sdk.framework":
"/Users/clint/code/Flex/SDK/flex_sdk_4.15.0_AIR_23",
    "nextgenas.sdk.editor": "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs"
}

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> trying to get it setup… do I need both the flexjs and flexswf sdks?
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello, Flex community!
>>
>> I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to plug one of my projects that I
>> think many Flex developers here will find useful.
>>
>> As you may recall, I created an ActionScript and MXML extension for Visual
>> Studio Code a while back. Originally, my main focus was on creating a
>> development environment for FlexJS. Popular IDEs like Flash Builder and
>> IntelliJ IDEA require jumping through some hoops to work with FlexJS, and
>> wanted to make sure the community has an editor where FlexJS is considered
>> a first-class citizen.
>>
>> Well, I know many of you who are interested in FlexJS are also still
>> targeting Adobe AIR and Flash Player with the original Apache Flex SDK.
>> With that in mind, I've been working on ensuring that you can build
>> projects for these runtimes in Visual Studio Code too! Earlier this week,
>> released a big, new update to the extension that adds support for SWF
>> debugging in AIR and Flash Player.
>>
>> When you debug a SWF project in VSCode you'll be able to add breakpoints,
>> pause and step through your code, see trace() output in the console,
>> navigate the call stack, and inspect variables. It's a debugger with all
>> the bells and whistles that we've come to expect.
>>
>> For more information about the Visual Studio Code extension, please visit
>> the website:
>>
>> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>>
>> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
>> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player, visit
>> the Github wiki:
>>
>> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>>
>> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
>> tools
>> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>>
>> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>>
>> Thank you, and happy coding!
>>
>> Josh Tynjala
>> NextGen ActionScript
>>
>> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
>> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
>> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that
>> others
>> might enjoy.

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

clintm
got it to build… can't get it to launch the debugger… the error is:
Error launching SWF debug session. Process exited with code: 6

Which according to this [1] means I can't write to the output dir (but I'm
not specifying it). How do I do that?

I wonder if I need to change where I installed the FlexJS sdk?

Here's what the launch config looks like in Flash Bungler.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f6kllihuoc3kol/Screen%20Shot%202017-03-17%20at%208.55.31%20PM.png?dl=0

[1] https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/air-developer-tool-adt-error.html
Exit codes
ADT exits with one of the following exit codes. For error conditions (code
> 1), ADT also prints a diagnostic message to stderr.
Exit Code Meaning
0 Successful primary launch [1]
2 Usage error (incorrect arguments)
5 Unknown error
6 Could not write to output directory

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
>>> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player,
>>> visit
>>> the Github wiki:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>>>
>>> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
>>> tools
>>> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a
>>> hand!
>>>
>>> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>>>
>>> Thank you, and happy coding!
>>>
>>> Josh Tynjala
>>> NextGen ActionScript
>>>
>>> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
>>> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a
>>> member
>>> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that

Yeah, you need both SDKs. The editor is powered by the Falcon compiler in
FlexJS, but you need the original Flex SDK to provide the framework.

- Josh

On Mar 17, 2017 8:03 PM, "Clint M" <[hidden email]> wrote:

trying to get it setup… do I need both the flexjs and flexswf sdks?

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Flex community!
>
> I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to plug one of my projects that I
> think many Flex developers here will find useful.
>
> As you may recall, I created an ActionScript and MXML extension for Visual
> Studio Code a while back. Originally, my main focus was on creating a
> development environment for FlexJS. Popular IDEs like Flash Builder and
> IntelliJ IDEA require jumping through some hoops to work with FlexJS, and
> wanted to make sure the community has an editor where FlexJS is considered
> a first-class citizen.
>
> Well, I know many of you who are interested in FlexJS are also still
> targeting Adobe AIR and Flash Player with the original Apache Flex SDK.
> With that in mind, I've been working on ensuring that you can build
> projects for these runtimes in Visual Studio Code too! Earlier this week,

> released a big, new update to the extension that adds support for SWF
> debugging in AIR and Flash Player.
>
> When you debug a SWF project in VSCode you'll be able to add breakpoints,
> pause and step through your code, see trace() output in the console,
> navigate the call stack, and inspect variables. It's a debugger with all
> the bells and whistles that we've come to expect.
>
> For more information about the Visual Studio Code extension, please visit
> the website:
>
> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>
> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player, visit
> the Github wiki:
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>
> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
tools

> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>
> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>
> Thank you, and happy coding!
>
> Josh Tynjala
> NextGen ActionScript
>
> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that
others
> might enjoy.

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
When you debug with AIR, the error code will come from ADL, rather than
ADT, so it's meaning is going to be different. Looks like it is:

The application descriptor file cannot be found.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WSfffb011ac560372f-6fa6d7e0128cca93d31-8000.html#WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7f62

Make sure that you point to your AIR assocation descriptor in the
"application" field in asconfig.json. You'll also need an output path for
the SWF under the compilerOptions.

In the launch.json, you want the program to be the AIR application
descriptor instead of the SWF.

- Josh

On Mar 17, 2017 9:04 PM, "Clint M" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
>>> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player,
>>> visit
>>> the Github wiki:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>>>
>>> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
>>> tools
>>> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a
>>> hand!
>>>
>>> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>>>
>>> Thank you, and happy coding!
>>>
>>> Josh Tynjala
>>> NextGen ActionScript
>>>
>>> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
>>> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a
>>> member
>>> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that

Ha… it works!!!

I just checked it again… and this was my launch config (with duplicate
keys??)
I'm not sure if this was me or vs code but after I removed the duplicate
keys (type, request, name, program) it worked just fine.

Thanks Josh :)

{
    // Use IntelliSense to learn about possible SWF debug attributes.
    // Hover to view descriptions of existing attributes.
    // For more information, visit:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=830387
    "version": "0.2.0",
    "preLaunchTask": "asconfigc",
    "configurations": [
        {
            "type": "swf",
            "request": "launch",
            "name": "Launch SWF",
            "program": "bin/GreenMaps-app.xml",
            "type": "swf",
            "request": "launch",
            "name": "Launch SWF",
            "program": "bin/MyProject-app.xml",
            "profile": "mobileDevice",
            "screensize": "iPhoneRetina",
            "screenDPI": 326,
            "versionPlatform": "IOS"
        }
    ]
}

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When you debug with AIR, the error code will come from ADL, rather than
> ADT, so it's meaning is going to be different. Looks like it is:
>
> The application descriptor file cannot be found.
>
> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WSfffb011ac560372f-
> 6fa6d7e0128cca93d31-8000.html#WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7f62
>
> Make sure that you point to your AIR assocation descriptor in the
> "application" field in asconfig.json. You'll also need an output path for
> the SWF under the compilerOptions.
>
> In the launch.json, you want the program to be the AIR application
> descriptor instead of the SWF.
>
> - Josh
>
> On Mar 17, 2017 9:04 PM, "Clint M" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> got it to build… can't get it to launch the debugger… the error is:
> Error launching SWF debug session. Process exited with code: 6
>
> Which according to this [1] means I can't write to the output dir (but I'm
> not specifying it). How do I do that?
>
> I wonder if I need to change where I installed the FlexJS sdk?
>
> Here's what the launch config looks like in Flash Bungler.
> 202017-03-17%20at%208.55.31%20PM.png?dl=0
>

> [1] https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/air-developer-tool-adt-error.html
> Exit codes
> ADT exits with one of the following exit codes. For error conditions (code
> > 1), ADT also prints a diagnostic message to stderr.
> Exit Code Meaning
> 0 Successful primary launch [1]
> 2 Usage error (incorrect arguments)
> 5 Unknown error
> 6 Could not write to output directory
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ha… got it to compile my flex mobile project with a couple of
> workarounds…
> >
> > - "library-path": [ "libs" ], didn't work… I had to do:
> "additionalOptions":
> > "-library-path+=libs/",
> > - I had to install both the flex sdk and the flexjs sdk… my
> > ./.vscode/settings.json looks like:
> > // Place your settings in this file to overwrite default and user
> settings.
> > {
> >     "nextgenas.sdk.framework": "/Users/clint/code/Flex/SDK/
> > flex_sdk_4.15.0_AIR_23",
> >     "nextgenas.sdk.editor": "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs"
> > }
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> trying to get it setup… do I need both the flexjs and flexswf sdks?

> that

> breakpoints,
> all

> visit

> compiler,

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

clintm
is fcsh on your radar? I just got it to work with java 7 and
adding -Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true|
couldn't get it to work with java 8… getting Error: null on recompile

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Exit Code Meaning
>> 0 Successful primary launch [1]
>> 2 Usage error (incorrect arguments)
>> 5 Unknown error
>> 6 Could not write to output directory
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > ha… got it to compile my flex mobile project with a couple of
>> workarounds…
>> >
>> > - "library-path": [ "libs" ], didn't work… I had to do:
>> "additionalOptions":
>> > "-library-path+=libs/",
>> > - I had to install both the flex sdk and the flexjs sdk… my
>> > ./.vscode/settings.json looks like:
>> > // Place your settings in this file to overwrite default and user
>> settings.
>> > {
>> >     "nextgenas.sdk.framework": "/Users/clint/code/Flex/SDK/
>> > flex_sdk_4.15.0_AIR_23",
>> >     "nextgenas.sdk.editor": "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs"

PKumar
Josh,

I am using VCode for FlexJS app & library development but I am following issues:

Not getting intelligence for <fx:script> tag
Compile time issues are misleading
Can not use FlexJS nightly build

Please suggest.

On 18-Mar-2017 5:32 AM, "Josh Tynjala [via Apache Flex Users]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/SWF-Debugging-in-Visual-Studio-Code-tp14853.html
To start a new topic under Apache Flex Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Apache Flex Users, click here.
NAML
Regards,
Prashant

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
I'm not sure that it will be possible to run fcsh from a tasks.json file in
VSCode, but I'm not particularly familiar with running it directly from the
command line, so maybe I'm wrong. I can look into it.

- Josh

On Mar 17, 2017 10:52 PM, "Clint M" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> the SWF under the compilerOptions.
> >>
> >> In the launch.json, you want the program to be the AIR application
> >> descriptor instead of the SWF.
> >>
> >> - Josh
> >>
> >> On Mar 17, 2017 9:04 PM, "Clint M" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> got it to build… can't get it to launch the debugger… the error is:
> >> Error launching SWF debug session. Process exited with code: 6
> >>
> >> Which according to this [1] means I can't write to the output dir (but
> I'm
> >> not specifying it). How do I do that?
> >>
> >> I wonder if I need to change where I installed the FlexJS sdk?
> >>
> >> Here's what the launch config looks like in Flash Bungler.
> >> 202017-03-17%20at%208.55.31%20PM.png?dl=0
> >>

> >> [1] https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/air-developer-tool-adt-error.html
> >> Exit codes
> >> ADT exits with one of the following exit codes. For error conditions

I tested with a nightly build immediately before the release on both macOS
and Windows (along with 0.7.0 and a Maven distribution). Unless there was a
major change in the last day or two that I missed, the extension should be
able to handle a nightly. What happens when you try to use a nightly that
makes you think it doesn't work?

I'm not sure I'll be able to help with the misleading errors without
actually seeing them. Can you share the error messages and maybe some of
the relevant code?

I can double-check the completion in the <fx:Script> block when I'm back to
work on Monday, but I have not encountered this issue before. Considering
your other issues, I wonder if this is simply a side effect of another
issue.

- Josh

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Flex community!
>
> I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to plug one of my projects that I
> think many Flex developers here will find useful.
>
> As you may recall, I created an ActionScript and MXML extension for Visual
> Studio Code a while back. Originally, my main focus was on creating a
> development environment for FlexJS. Popular IDEs like Flash Builder and
> IntelliJ IDEA require jumping through some hoops to work with FlexJS, and
> wanted to make sure the community has an editor where FlexJS is considered
> a first-class citizen.
>
> Well, I know many of you who are interested in FlexJS are also still
> targeting Adobe AIR and Flash Player with the original Apache Flex SDK.
> With that in mind, I've been working on ensuring that you can build
> projects for these runtimes in Visual Studio Code too! Earlier this week,
> released a big, new update to the extension that adds support for SWF
> debugging in AIR and Flash Player.
>
> When you debug a SWF project in VSCode you'll be able to add breakpoints,
> pause and step through your code, see trace() output in the console,
> navigate the call stack, and inspect variables. It's a debugger with all
> the bells and whistles that we've come to expect.
>
> For more information about the Visual Studio Code extension, please visit
> the website:
>
> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>
> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player, visit
> the Github wiki:
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>
> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
> tools
> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>
> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>
> Thank you, and happy coding!
>
> Josh Tynjala
> NextGen ActionScript
>
> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that
> others
> might enjoy.

macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=1&code=cHJhc2hha3VtYXJAZ21haWwuY29tfD
F8LTU0MTcyMzE2NA==>
> .
> NAML
> <http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?
macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&
base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.
web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.
NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%
3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_
instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

PKumar
Regarding nightly build use, if flex_home and nextgenas.sdk.editor  both are used then VCode gives preference to flex_home. Ideally it should compile the application with user defined ask not global one. Please suggest.

http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/SWF-Debugging-in-Visual-Studio-Code-tp14853p14865.html
To start a new topic under Apache Flex Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Apache Flex Users, click here.
NAML
Regards,
Prashant

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the release! I just tried it and our MDLExample compiled like a charm. There is one thing which interested me in release notes:

"Goto definition now finds framework classes in the SDK, even if they are compiled into a SWC."

How can I achieve this one ? Apart of standard configuration which looks like that [1][2][3] for me what I have to do ?

[1] settings.json: https://paste.apache.org/5hwb
[2] asconfig.json: https://paste.apache.org/Cl5A
[3] tasks.json: https://paste.apache.org/b968

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
That sounds like a bug. It should always give precedence to
nextgenas.sdk.editor. I'll take a look after the weekend!

- Josh

On Mar 18, 2017 11:46 AM, "PKumar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%
> > 3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_
> > instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
> > >

> > -----
> > Regards,
> > Prashant
> > --

> template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=1&code=
> cHJhc2hha3VtYXJAZ21haWwuY29tfDF8LTU0MTcyMzE2NA==>
> > .
> > NAML
> > <http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/
> template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_
> html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.
> BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-
> nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=
> notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%
> 21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

You don't need to do anything to enable that! The original source file path
of each class is saved when a SWC is created. If the source file path
contains "frameworks/projects", the extension will modify the original path
to point to a local path on your computer inside your framework SDK.

- Josh

On Mar 18, 2017 12:18 PM, "piotrz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the release! I just tried it and our MDLExample compiled like a
charm. There is one thing which interested me in release notes:

"Goto definition now finds framework classes in the SDK, even if they are
compiled into a SWC."

How can I achieve this one ? Apart of standard configuration which looks
like that [1][2][3] for me what I have to do ?

[1] settings.json: https://paste.apache.org/5hwb
[2] asconfig.json: https://paste.apache.org/Cl5A
[3] tasks.json: https://paste.apache.org/b968

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

piotrz
Josh,

It is not working for me. I cannot even jump to other file which is part of MDLExample. I'm hitting F12.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
Strange. Can you try to see if it works in an ActionScript file? Also, try
Ctrl+click instead of F12. I wouldn't expect that to make a difference, but
I never tried it with the F12 keyboard shortcut, so who knows!

- Josh

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:15 PM, piotrz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> It is not working for me. I cannot even jump to other file which is part of
> MDLExample. I'm hitting F12.
>
> <http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/file/
> n14872/mdl_example.png>
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

piotrz
In ActionScript it also do not work. I've tried to jump from one ActionScript class to another - same result.

I've tried jump to some field in class but same result:

But there was some reaction when I've tried to click on EventDispatcher class, although it also didn't jump to that class.

Piotr

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: SWF Debugging in Visual Studio Code

clintm
Are watches supposed to work? Just getting a "not available" when I add one.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Flex community!
>
> I hope you don't mind if I take a moment to plug one of my projects that I
> think many Flex developers here will find useful.
>
> As you may recall, I created an ActionScript and MXML extension for Visual
> Studio Code a while back. Originally, my main focus was on creating a
> development environment for FlexJS. Popular IDEs like Flash Builder and
> IntelliJ IDEA require jumping through some hoops to work with FlexJS, and I
> wanted to make sure the community has an editor where FlexJS is considered
> a first-class citizen.
>
> Well, I know many of you who are interested in FlexJS are also still
> targeting Adobe AIR and Flash Player with the original Apache Flex SDK.
> With that in mind, I've been working on ensuring that you can build
> projects for these runtimes in Visual Studio Code too! Earlier this week, I
> released a big, new update to the extension that adds support for SWF
> debugging in AIR and Flash Player.
>
> When you debug a SWF project in VSCode you'll be able to add breakpoints,
> pause and step through your code, see trace() output in the console,
> navigate the call stack, and inspect variables. It's a debugger with all
> the bells and whistles that we've come to expect.
>
> For more information about the Visual Studio Code extension, please visit
> the website:
>
> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>
> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> and debug any type of Apache Flex app in Adobe AIR and Flash Player, visit
> the Github wiki:
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>
> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>
> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>
> Thank you, and happy coding!
>
> Josh Tynjala
> NextGen ActionScript
>
> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
> might enjoy.

123