Regarding the apache flex project want to know few questions

Regarding the apache flex project want to know few questions

maniteja
hi,

I'm Mani Teja Chodapaneedi master student in Blekinge institute of technology. i would like to contribute to your open source project. As i'm new to contribute to the project, i would like to know few question. it would be helpful if you can answer the following questions.

1.     What are the main challenges to acquire the knowledge I would need to contribute to this project?

2.   What type of support is given to new contributors like me?

3.     How long does it take in general to reach a level where one can contribute to the project more independently?

4.     Once I have acquired the required knowledge, is there any other difficulties that I should be aware of that may affect my engagement as a contributor for this project?

thanking you,
Maniteja Ch.

Re: Regarding the apache flex project want to know few questions

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

> I'm Mani Teja Chodapaneedi master student in Blekinge institute of
> technology. i would like to contribute to your open source project.

Is there anything in particular you are interested in contributing? Or an area that interests you?

> 1.     What are the main challenges to acquire the knowledge I would need to
> contribute to this project?

It will depend on the area you want to work on, for instance the compilers are written in Java, the Flex SDK in ActionScript. If your interested in build system we have both ant and maven builds.

> 2.   What type of support is given to new contributors like me?

We’ll answer questions and help you with any process / procedural issues. If you contribute patches and show merit we’ll make you a committer and you’ll get write access to the git repo.

> 3.     How long does it take in general to reach a level where one can
> contribute to the project more independently?

I don’t think there is one simple answer to this, for some areas people are going to be productive and independent in a very short time (a few weeks say) in other areas it may take many months.

> 4.     Once I have acquired the required knowledge, is there any other
> difficulties that I should be aware of that may affect my engagement as a
> contributor for this project?

Nothing other than understand how the Apache way works [1] which will happen over time as you work on the project. I’d start by reading these [2][3].

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://theapacheway.com
2. http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
3. https://community.apache.org/contributors/

Re: Regarding the apache flex project want to know few questions

maniteja
hi,
   i am very thankful for your reply. i really admire and i want to evolve and contribute to open source project. As i just finished my bachelors my knowledge on action script is not very deep but i really willing to collaborate because it is really a great idea that people work together to do something off value afterwards.

Q1. So in my case as a fresh developer, how can i contribute for the very beginning and in which area?

thanking you,
mani teja ch.

Re: Regarding the apache flex project want to know few questions

Olaf Krueger
maniteja wrote
Q1. So in my case as a fresh developer, how can i contribute for the very beginning and in which area?
To get an idea of what the guys are working on and what is needed you could follow the dev list [1][2].
It's probably hard to follow but it could be an entry point.
Then you could browse through the JIRA bug tracker [3] to get an idea of open issues.

Are you already familar with the Flex or FlexJS framework?

[2] http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel

Re: Regarding the apache flex project want to know few questions

maniteja
hi,
   i would be so grateful if u fill this google form. it really mean a lot to me.

https://goo.gl/forms/89OJrN9DkyJhh8TS2

thanking you.