Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Paul Stearns
So that I could get better feed back on which route I should take, I have created a demo version of one of my applications.

This is a time accounting application which we developed and use internally to keep track of hours to pay consultants and bill clients.

The URL is http://flex.yozyo.net/production

To login, you can use either;

U: dmanager
P: mpassword

U:duser
P:UPASSWORD

It requires popups to be enabled. The application provides a self contained desktop like application with the ability to have multiple panels open simultaneously. While this is a test system, and you are welcome to muck about and save data please don't intentionally try to break it.

My goal is to end up with an application with a similar look and feel to what is provided using something that won't die in December 2020. Of course the less work to get from here to there will be the best approach.

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Alex Harui-2
From 3 minutes of playing around with it, if you are looking to minimize code changes and don't want a more modern UI, then the emulation component set (MXRoyale and SparkRoyale) would be a good place to start.  The emulation set is still a work-in-progress, but it gets better every day, and, IMO, it would be better for the Royale community if you could invest some of the time saved from not having to change so much code towards further improving MXRoyale and SparkRoyale as that will make the migration effort easier for the next person.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

    The URL is https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fflex.yozyo.net%2Fproduction&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C4a2af1131ac649033a3108d74e996a26%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637064293129036355&amp;sdata=FQ0%2BwXpZSL%2FqNwOXZRp6zQFSYiBrmFdVYgl1gAdSaGc%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Paul,

as Alex I think your best route is to join us in Apache Royale mailing
lists [1] and try emulation components. This will be the fastest way to
migrate to html/js touching almost no code. Royale is now in a very good
state for everyone to start using it. I encourage you to join our community
and get started here [2]

[2] https://apache.github.io/royale-docs/get-started

best

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Paul Stearns
Carlos:

The applications we have written really do want to be desktop applications. Having a small subset of functionality for mobile use would be beneficial for a few of the applications we support. Mostly however these are data entry focused applications. One of the applications captures over 200 data elements in a single data entry screen with complex business rules, using a tabbed interface.

With Royale, I have some questions/concerns;

Will it be around for 10 years?How many users/companies have adopted Royale?Are there any applications, perhaps with similar look & feel.as what this app shows, already functional in Royale? If not similar, at least some applications I can see and touch.I use FluorineFX as my data layer interface. Will that be transportable?
Thanks for your help.

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Alex Harui-2
Royale (and any Apache project) will be around as long as there are 3 active committers/PMC members.  You can become one of them by contributing to the project (code, doc, bugs, marketing, whatever).  That way you can truly have a stake in the future.  No corporation can shut down Royale.

Nobody has gone into production on the MX/Spark emulation component set.  I think Alina's team is close.  The tourdeflex migration example might give you an idea of what it can currently do, but really, the goal is to make it work as well as you need it.  We are looking for folks who want to help us improve it.  The mindset has to be different from the Adobe days when you could just wait for Adobe to cut another release for you to use.  It is important that people get involved, even if it is just reporting bugs.  There is no dedicated test team for Apache Royale.  There was for Adobe Flex.  There is no corporation pushing this technology.  The users are supposed to help with the pushing and pulling.

I'm not sure where the source code is for FlourineFX.  It might be transpilable to JS.  It appears to use AMF underneath.  So maybe you have some work to do there, but in the whole, it should be far less work than migrating all of your code.  See if you can figure out what FlourineFX APIs you used and we can discuss emulating those.

    [1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Froyale.apache.org%2Fmailing-lists%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C21efbb9d0bce4dbeb41e08d74f301859%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637064940295311587&amp;sdata=I%2BLA2byTf4zKIIIbTr0sELMvASa8P1anWU5B3wDkMj8%3D&amp;reserved=0
    [2] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fapache.github.io%2Froyale-docs%2Fget-started&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C21efbb9d0bce4dbeb41e08d74f301859%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637064940295311587&amp;sdata=ng5M33bfbxYJVCZdT70Ksb5WzwX6n0XS4SaxF7P1w1U%3D&amp;reserved=0

    --
    Carlos Rovira
    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.me%2Fcarlosrovira&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C21efbb9d0bce4dbeb41e08d74f301859%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637064940295311587&amp;sdata=cvUi0iL2%2FAw3bfNcD9NczUIxpJbLvk0q5q635lDX%2BxE%3D&amp;reserved=0

Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Hi Paul,

Just a quick answer to the question about existing online app.

We are portion Flex application to Royale. We have weekly/two week release
schedule, so you can check what is happening and what's new quite often.

In order to see app you have to register. It's free and you can always
remove your account.

Link: https://x.prominic.net/MyAccount

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019, 12:21 AM Paul Stearns <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So that I could get better feed back on which route I should take, I have
> created a demo version of one of my applications.
>
> This is a time accounting application which we developed and use
> internally to keep track of hours to pay consultants and bill clients.
>
> The URL is http://flex.yozyo.net/production
>
> To login, you can use either;
>
> U: dmanager
> P: mpassword
>
> U:duser
> P:UPASSWORD
>
> It requires popups to be enabled. The application provides a self
> contained desktop like application with the ability to have multiple panels
> open simultaneously. While this is a test system, and you are welcome to
> muck about and save data please don't intentionally try to break it.
>
> My goal is to end up with an application with a similar look and feel to
> what is provided using something that won't die in December 2020. Of course
> the less work to get from here to there will be the best approach.
>
> Paul R. Stearns
> Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.
>
> 15280 NW 79th Ct.
> Suite 250
> Miami Lakes, Fl 33016
>
> Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
> Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi All,

we have a migration for a client currently in the works. That client uses
FluorineFX for .NET communication with AMF/RemoteObject.
We can ensure Fluorine is fully working. Only limitations are in Royale are
for Vector and Dictionary types that I think most of people never use, so
you have that point secure :). AMFPHP is as well working, and of course
BlazeDS. So we cover Java, .NET and PHP now :).

About productions Apps for Royale. As Alex said MXRoyale maybe does not
have any, but we have many currently for Basic, Jewel and MDL sets.

Look and feel: Jewel has probably the best look and feel currently. Check
Tour De Jewel here: https://royale.apache.org/tourdejewel/

As Alex said, is up to all of us to keep Royale alive. But I think it will
survive over time, for various reasons. All we are working currently for
the project believe in it, and we are many!. As times passes and others see
is getting better and better each day is making them join us. If you join
us using it and interacting you'll be helping to make the community grow
and help to make Royale continue in time.

Since I already migrated projects from Flex to Royale I want to give you an
advice: Get involved, don't expect others to make things for you. If you
can't solve or implement something, rely on payed work for others in the
community that can do it for you. It's not real to try to migrate and
expect all will be set for you to use.
As time passes, more and more things are better, but still are things to be
done, so it will be normal that you find something you need that still is
not in Royale. So you can work on it and contribute or contract someone to
do it.

As I said. Is a good time to join us and start migrating. Many other has
done it before... :)

Carlos

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

RE: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Jason Taylor-2
FluorineFX is the backend AMF layer for .net projects.   FluorineFX has been ported to .net core https://github.com/hinaria/fluorinefx-core and https://github.com/liuyunxiong/rtmpsharp, if you need further help regarding FluorineFX or RTMP, RTMPS for .net you can always hit me for help.
~ JT

    --
    Carlos Rovira
    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.me%2Fcarlosrovira&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C21efbb9d0bce4dbeb41e08d74f301859%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637064940295311587&amp;sdata=cvUi0iL2%2FAw3bfNcD9NczUIxpJbLvk0q5q635lDX%2BxE%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Jason,

RTMP is still missing in Royale. Would you consider to port that for
Javascript/SWF as we did for AMF?
I think it will be a great addition to the Royale arsenal and will make
many people that was using RTMP in Flash come to Royale

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

RE: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Jason Taylor-2
Unfortunately I only know the server side really well on .net, client side we are switching operations over to Uno Platform for threading performance and c#
~ JT

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Julien Desquenne
Hello,

Very interesting discussion.

By the way, the link for Tour de Flex compiled with Apache Royale
doesn't seem to work:

http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/TourDeFlexMigration/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/examples/mxroyale/tourdeflexmodules/bin/js-debug/index.html

Any other link ?

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Julien,

we have currently a problem with that server and I think Alex Harui is
trying to contact Azure to get the same url.
Maybe Alex can bring more light on this.

Thanks

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Alex Harui-2
I did not see anyone respond in a way that indicated that I should try to get the old URL back, so I have not made that request.

-Alex

    --
    Carlos Rovira
    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.me%2Fcarlosrovira&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Ca6f430a913984e7d35ac08d753a970e4%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637069859520313006&amp;sdata=ua2W0%2FAZZI4WY%2Byi41mqLEAGpq6x%2F9J7d4KPSrQN36A%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Alex,

as I said I don't know too much about what happened. There's other url? if
so I can update website with the current ones. Don't think we need to get
the older one.
Just need to know new pairs of : Old URL - New URL, so I can search in
website and substitute all that ones.

Thanks

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Alex Harui-2
The new url/domain is: http://apacheroyaleci2.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080

The old one was: http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080

-Alex

    --
    Carlos Rovira
    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.me%2Fcarlosrovira&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C5d7cabb784a84c8d263c08d7557892ce%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637071848667962231&amp;sdata=1nztqFe2FlAyt0ahikYQZG230MmuEDrbY9aj2v%2B66%2B4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Paul Stearns
Alex:

Is there a place someone could go and just see TourDeFlex run, without downloading, and building it?

--
Carlos Rovira
https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.me%2Fcarlosrovira&data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C5d7cabb784a84c8d263c08d7557892ce%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637071848667962231&sdata=1nztqFe2FlAyt0ahikYQZG230MmuEDrbY9aj2v%2B66%2B4%3D&reserved=0

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Alex Harui-2
Nightly build of TDF migration to Royale is here:

http://apacheroyaleci2.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/TourDeFlexMigration/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/examples/mxroyale/tourdeflexmodules/bin/js-debug/index.html

It might break from time to time, so let us know if it is broken.  The initial screen showed up for me.

-Alex

    The new url/domain is: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapacheroyaleci2.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com%3A8080&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cb6a942aa27cc4e6d6b6908d755cfd23b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637072223390611551&amp;sdata=pYHiA68W4jI2YZHCqrW2LV1vgb0iycsdMoLaJtdbKP4%3D&amp;reserved=0

    The old one was: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com%3A8080&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cb6a942aa27cc4e6d6b6908d755cfd23b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637072223390611551&amp;sdata=v9zsjD%2BO1gN%2BRivDfSPzr4iz8Y9k96eDJ7YpJHTD4aE%3D&amp;reserved=0

    --
    Carlos Rovira
    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fabout.me%2Fcarlosrovira&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cb6a942aa27cc4e6d6b6908d755cfd23b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637072223390611551&amp;sdata=wtqOiwLVVGPfw3sQtsKI5arrR7qd8CApo63rjR1xV4E%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Alex,

thanks for the URLs. I'll change in website this night or tomorrow, as I
can get the time.