Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

123

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

OmPrakash Muppirala
Tweeted here: https://twitter.com/ApacheFlex/status/818948503682486272

Everyone please retweet :-)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are lots of exciting things going on in the world of FlexJS.  Some
> folks are creating a component set that implements Material Design Lite.
> You can see the demo here: https://s.apache.org/MDLExample
>
> However, some folks think that FlexJS should have its own unique default
> look, so this is a call for proposals on what the default look for FlexJS
> should be.  Please reply here if you are interested.  I don't think we
> have to pick a winner, we might just have a choice of themes.
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Carlos Rovira
Great, we need to expose this to as many sites, forums and social networks,
focused on Design/UX/UI, we can.

Hope people could share here the urls they think could be valuable in order
to post this announcement.

For example I posted this in a well-known UX/UI LinkedIn Group:

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/72842/72842-6224999069215911937

Thanks!

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Alex Harui
BTW, do we need professional/experienced proposals or should we hit up Art
students in College/High Schools?

-Alex

On 1/11/17, 11:01 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>Great, we need to expose this to as many sites, forums and social
>networks,
>focused on Design/UX/UI, we can.
>
>Hope people could share here the urls they think could be valuable in
>order
>to post this announcement.
>
>For example I posted this in a well-known UX/UI LinkedIn Group:
>
>https://www.linkedin.com/groups/72842/72842-6224999069215911937
>
>Thanks!

>> Tweeted here: https://twitter.com/ApacheFlex/status/818948503682486272
>>
>> Everyone please retweet :-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Om
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > There are lots of exciting things going on in the world of FlexJS.
>>Some
>> > folks are creating a component set that implements Material Design
>>Lite.
>> > You can see the demo here: https://s.apache.org/MDLExample
>> >
>> > However, some folks think that FlexJS should have its own unique
>>default
>> > look, so this is a call for proposals on what the default look for
>>FlexJS
>> > should be.  Please reply here if you are interested.  I don't think we
>> > have to pick a winner, we might just have a choice of themes.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Alex
>> >

>--
>
>Carlos Rovira
>Director General
>M: +34 607 22 60 05
>http://www.codeoscopic.com
>http://www.avant2.es
>
>Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
>información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
>error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y
>proceda a su destrucción.
>
>De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le
>comunicamos
>que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
>S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
>servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
>rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a
>nuestras
>oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación
>necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Trevor Holman-2
I'm a designer by trade.

BTW, do we need professional/experienced proposals or should we hit up Art
students in College/High Schools?

-Alex

On 1/11/17, 11:01 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>Great, we need to expose this to as many sites, forums and social
>networks,
>focused on Design/UX/UI, we can.
>
>Hope people could share here the urls they think could be valuable in
>order
>to post this announcement.
>
>For example I posted this in a well-known UX/UI LinkedIn Group:
>
>https://www.linkedin.com/groups/72842/72842-6224999069215911937
>
>Thanks!

>> Tweeted here: https://twitter.com/ApacheFlex/status/818948503682486272
>>
>> Everyone please retweet :-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Om
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > There are lots of exciting things going on in the world of FlexJS.
>>Some
>> > folks are creating a component set that implements Material Design
>>Lite.
>> > You can see the demo here: https://s.apache.org/MDLExample
>> >
>> > However, some folks think that FlexJS should have its own unique
>>default
>> > look, so this is a call for proposals on what the default look for
>>FlexJS
>> > should be.  Please reply here if you are interested.  I don't think we
>> > have to pick a winner, we might just have a choice of themes.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Alex
>> >

>--
>
>Carlos Rovira
>Director General
>M: +34 607 22 60 05
>http://www.codeoscopic.com
>http://www.avant2.es
>
>Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener
>información privilegiada o confidencial. Si ha recibido este mensaje por
>error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y
>proceda a su destrucción.
>
>De la vigente Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (15/1999), le
>comunicamos
>que sus datos forman parte de un fichero cuyo responsable es CODEOSCOPIC
>S.A. La finalidad de dicho tratamiento es facilitar la prestación del
>servicio o información solicitados, teniendo usted derecho de acceso,
>rectificación, cancelación y oposición de sus datos dirigiéndose a
>nuestras
>oficinas c/ Paseo de la Habana 9-11, 28036, Madrid con la documentación
>necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Carlos Rovira

we should get people motivated with skills in design and planing of UI / UX
skins, visuals, effects and transitions.
Art is different from engineering and we could get people in very different
places since we never know who could have the skills to hand crafting
something we'd like and have at the same time the rigurosity we need to be
able to implement.

So, both professional/exp and students could have the potential and I'd not
throw any opportunity to get people on board.

My bet is that we should get the way to get more than one look and feel and
from the development side be able to prepare FlexJS to have themes so we
could then prepare diferent workspaces for different designers and let them
prepare the their art. As I said before, should be normal that one look and
feel will be prepared for only one person. If we prepare some spec about
how should they prepare their art to be consumed by our framework, we could
get in this way different themes packaged and ready to be loaded into flexjs

what do you think?

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Trevor Holman-2
This is a pretty specific example but I can do the work. The project is an air project I'm working on, this is just the interface as it is now.

http://star-frontiers.com/sample-page.php

Trevor

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Carlos Rovira
Hi Trevor,

thanks for offer to work on this. Could you make some designs of screen
composition based on a new component set design a share in this list? I
think that would be the best way to start

Thanks! :)

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

OmPrakash Muppirala
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Carlos Rovira <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> thanks for offer to work on this. Could you make some designs of screen
> composition based on a new component set design a share in this list? I
> think that would be the best way to start

Perhaps we can start with the list of components available in the MDL list?
This would be a good list to start with: s.apache.org/MDLExample

> Thanks! :)

> > This is a pretty specific example but I can do the work. The project is
> an
> > air project I'm working on, this is just the interface as it is now.
> >

> > http://star-frontiers.com/sample-page.php
> >
> > Trevor

Trevor Holman-3
Will do, are you looking for just visual components at this point? I’m not sure I have the skill to actually program all of them to work in Flex/ActionScript at this point. ;-)

I still have Flash Catalyst. Also, another note, Shutterstock.com <http://shutterstock.com/> has a number if UX/UI designs that can be used and customized… I have those resources at my disposal.

Trevor

> On Jan 19, 2017, at 3:36 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Carlos Rovira <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Trevor,
>>
>> thanks for offer to work on this. Could you make some designs of screen
>> composition based on a new component set design a share in this list? I
>> think that would be the best way to start
>>

> Perhaps we can start with the list of components available in the MDL list?
> This would be a good list to start with: s.apache.org/MDLExample
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>

>> Thanks! :)

>>> This is a pretty specific example but I can do the work. The project is
>> an
>>> air project I'm working on, this is just the interface as it is now.
>>>

>>> http://star-frontiers.com/sample-page.php
>>>
>>> Trevor

On 1/19/17, 10:43 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>we should get people motivated with skills in design and planing of UI /
>UX
>skins, visuals, effects and transitions.
>Art is different from engineering and we could get people in very
>different
>places since we never know who could have the skills to hand crafting
>something we'd like and have at the same time the rigurosity we need to be
>able to implement.
>
>So, both professional/exp and students could have the potential and I'd
>not
>throw any opportunity to get people on board.
>
>My bet is that we should get the way to get more than one look and feel
>and
>from the development side be able to prepare FlexJS to have themes so we
>could then prepare diferent workspaces for different designers and let
>them
>prepare the their art. As I said before, should be normal that one look
>and
>feel will be prepared for only one person. If we prepare some spec about
>how should they prepare their art to be consumed by our framework, we
>could
>get in this way different themes packaged and ready to be loaded into
>flexjs
>
>what do you think?

Well, I can code, but I cannot draw, so in all my past experiences before
Flex where I worked on end-user applications, there were a team of people
who did usability, a different team that did graphic design, and yet
another team that wrote the code.  Sometimes you can find two or three of
these skills in the same person, but I would not hold my breath waiting
for someone like that.

Also, it looks to me that there might be more than one way to "change the
visuals".  It seems like MDL said "we will give you a choice of several
looks, but there's lots of things you can't change".  Bootstrap seems to
say "Here's some widgets, go muck with CSS to change the look if you
want".  Flex says "Draw it and we'll display it".  IOW, MDL has some extra
pre-defined CSS files so you don't have to know anything about CSS,
Bootstrap requires knowing a lot about CSS, Flex doesn't require any CSS,
just the right drawing tools.

Given that Apache project are volunteer-driven and contributors do not get
paid for contributing so probably helping out in their spare time, I am
willing to take whatever someone can offer.  We just had someone new
(TrevorH) offer to help.  The ultimate goal might be a full out spec like
Material Design [1], but that looks like a ton of work.  So, what is the
minimum useful design contribution?  I would say it is a screenshot, PDF,
AI, PNG, or other file depicting a set of widgets.  Bonus points if they
have time to try to write the code to support it, but otherwise, some
other volunteer will pitch in to do that.  IF a second designer can find
time to provide a different look, then the coding volunteers can better
understand what the best way to provide a set of components that allows
switching.  It might be CSS-driven, or vector-graphics driven, or both.
Who knows?  I don't personally care, I'd just like to see some ideas.

Beyond that, as we approach 1.0, we will need other things like graphic
design and UX improvements on our examples, TourDeFlexJS, etc.  And again,
if we can find a way to allow small contributions to build up into
something big, that will likely be the best approach to take.

But since we might actually have a designer in the conversation, let me
pose this question:  TrevorH, how much time do you have, and what would be
the most efficient way for us to use your skills?  Do you prefer to work
with Vector Graphics or CSS?

My 2 cents,
-Alex

[1] https://material.io

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

OmPrakash Muppirala
Trevor,

I will be happy with photoshop or illustrator mockups.  For folks who do
not have these software, a jpg version would be very useful.

I usually have my graphic designer (who cannot code) to annotate all the
elements in the mockup itself.  Color, font color, font size, spacing,
animation durations, etc.

Then I would build a rough cut based on the components, he will give me
feedback and we refine it to perfection.

In addition, if you are willing to write some CSS, you can do those edits
yourself, but that is up to you.

On 1/19/17, 1:47 PM, "Trevor Holman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Will do, are you looking for just visual components at this point? I’m
>not sure I have the skill to actually program all of them to work in
>Flex/ActionScript at this point. ;-)
>
>I still have Flash Catalyst. Also, another note, Shutterstock.com
><http://shutterstock.com/> has a number if UX/UI designs that can be used
>and customized… I have those resources at my disposal.

IMO, you can use whatever tool you want.  However, I think we want to try
to do this without use of Shutterstock.  In a quick read of their terms,
it isn't clear that it can be used in open source projects because that
essentially re-distributes their stuff to the world.

Thanks for offering to help,

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Trevor Holman-3
I can make some time for this, I do a lot of web design and development, so those languages are known to me. I’m pretty good with the CSS but everything I do is mostly customized so I would need help in thinking more general use… for example I just used bootstrap for a site (and I hate it), I end up overriding all the components.

As I designer I prefer the light frameworks. Anyway, I will start with the graphic parts and if you guys can guide me on everything you need that would help me a lot. I’ll use the link for the MDLExample as guide for the component list. We could do a number of different styles if you’d like.

I notice a lot of transitions in components now, is that something you want?

I’ll actually start it this weekend.

Trevor

> [...]
>> switching.  It might be CSS-driven, or vector-graphics driven, or both.
>> Who knows?  I don't personally care, I'd just like to see some ideas.
>>

>> Beyond that, as we approach 1.0, we will need other things like graphic
>> design and UX improvements on our examples, TourDeFlexJS, etc.  And again,
>> if we can find a way to allow small contributions to build up into
>> something big, that will likely be the best approach to take.
>>
>> But since we might actually have a designer in the conversation, let me
>> pose this question:  TrevorH, how much time do you have, and what would be
>> the most efficient way for us to use your skills?  Do you prefer to work
>> with Vector Graphics or CSS?
>>
>> My 2 cents,
>> -Alex
>>
>> [1] https://material.io

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Yeah, that makes sense, I wasn’t thinking along that line.

Thanks,

Trevor

> On Jan 19, 2017, at 4:07 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 1/19/17, 1:47 PM, "Trevor Holman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Will do, are you looking for just visual components at this point? I’m
>> not sure I have the skill to actually program all of them to work in
>> Flex/ActionScript at this point. ;-)
>>
>> I still have Flash Catalyst. Also, another note, Shutterstock.com
>> <http://shutterstock.com/> has a number if UX/UI designs that can be used
>> and customized… I have those resources at my disposal.
>
> IMO, you can use whatever tool you want.  However, I think we want to try
> to do this without use of Shutterstock.  In a quick read of their terms,
> it isn't clear that it can be used in open source projects because that
> essentially re-distributes their stuff to the world.
>
> Thanks for offering to help,
> -Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Carlos Rovira
Hi Trevor,

Your CSS skills would be very useful too. Take into account that MDL is
created upon the restrictions that MDL has (as well CreateJS, JQuery...)

But HTML components (the ones under js prefix like js:Button or js:Panel)
should be the ones we try to "skin". I'm saying that because MDL has
components like Badges or SnackBars that are not in FlexJS basic set (at
least now, maybe we could create them in the future).

So Maybe you could start with the basics: Button, TextInput, CheckBox,
RadioButton...and create some composition with that.
Then move to Panel and create some layouts to continue evolving.

About implementation, as Alex said we need to figure how to use the art and
code it (in this part your CSS skills could help a lot). If we don't have
anybody here to do this task, someone here (or from outside) could take the
effort, we are now starting this effort, so it could be great to get more
contributors on board.

I personally use Sketch App and Affinity Designer, so ASA I can end with
MDL dialog I want to explore what can I do with Sketch, look to generated
code, etc.. for example at this point is a mystery to me if we should pass
the art to SVG, or cut in PNG pieces, or whatever other technique...

Thanks! :)

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Alex Harui
Hi Trevor,

Comments in-line...

On 1/23/17, 7:51 AM, "Trevor Holman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Are the final “output” of these for HTML or Flex in general?

Mainly for HTML.  We want to try to replicate the look and feel in Flash
as well, but we are more concerned about efficiency in the browser.

>Also, I’m looking at some font usage. How do you guys normally handle
>that? There are a number of available fonts for web of course or do these
>font files need to be embedded into the components?

IMO, it would be best if the design could use popular fonts that are
expected to be found on a user's computer.  We don't want to have to
download a font.

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Carlos Rovira-2

> IMO, it would be best if the design could use popular fonts that are
> expected to be found on a user's computer.  We don't want to have to
> download a font.

 Alex, I think we could use external fonts and icons. MDL does this as a
best practice:

https://getmdl.io/styles/

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Alex Harui

On 1/23/17, 2:24 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>> IMO, it would be best if the design could use popular fonts that are
>> expected to be found on a user's computer.  We don't want to have to
>> download a font.
>>

> Alex, I think we could use external fonts and icons. MDL does this as a
>best practice:

Not sure what you mean by "external".  How big would would our examples be
if they had to bring down a font?  Also, we don't have a SWF equivalent
for embedding in Falcon without going through a bunch of steps that
involve the old Flex SDK and some Adobe jars.

RE: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

Trevor Holman-2
I had posted some buttons on the same page I referenced earlier with a sample. It appears the link is not being accepted by the list here.
There are a number of button on the pdf with subtle differences, figured it was a place to start.

Trevor

On 1/23/17, 2:24 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>> IMO, it would be best if the design could use popular fonts that are
>> expected to be found on a user's computer.  We don't want to have to
>> download a font.
>>

> Alex, I think we could use external fonts and icons. MDL does this as
>a best practice:

Not sure what you mean by "external".  How big would would our examples be if they had to bring down a font?  Also, we don't have a SWF equivalent for embedding in Falcon without going through a bunch of steps that involve the old Flex SDK and some Adobe jars.

RE: [FlexJS] Wanted: UX/UI Design Proposals

leokan23
Hi all,

so i have been working with flex since my bsc a while back (flex3 then) and I just love it. We use it as a company for most of our apps so I would love to help with flexjs. One of my UI/UX people can create a photoshop or illustrator UI Kit as a reference to be used. However, as we are a small studio, we don't have the capacity-resources right now to also do the coding.

If a photoshop/illustrator guideline is ok with you, I can move forward with this.

As a reference you can find some of our designs from released apps here [1]. Most of them are also made with Flex.

[1] https://drive.google.com/drive/u/3/folders/0BxUV6kdkN-b6ZDd5bXZxbFRVS2s
123