Porting Flex/AIR to the web

bilbosax
I have written  3 mobile and desktop AIR apps, and to give my users as many
options as possible, I want to provide web versions as well just in case
they don't have access to their personal devices.  I really don't enjoy web
programming at all, so if there is any way possible, I would love to be able
to leverage my current AIR projects and port them to the web.  Now that
Flash is about to end, what is my best option for porting my Flex/AIR
projects to the web?

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

Gustavo Aquino Mantovani
For the same reason, I have my eyes on Apache Royale. It's easier if you go
there (https://royale.apache.org) instead of me explaining the concept.

Regards

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019, 18:55 bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have written  3 mobile and desktop AIR apps, and to give my users as many
> options as possible, I want to provide web versions as well just in case
> they don't have access to their personal devices.  I really don't enjoy web
> programming at all, so if there is any way possible, I would love to be
> able
> to leverage my current AIR projects and port them to the web.  Now that
> Flash is about to end, what is my best option for porting my Flex/AIR
> projects to the web?

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

bilbosax
Is Royale the same as FlexJS???

How far along are these web conversions of AS3 and MXML?  Mine are business
apps, not games, so I don't need advanced 3D technologies or do any tweening
or any heavy graphics work.  But my app does need things like Lists, Grids,
ArrayCollections, Images, fast AMF communication with databases, etc.  Do
these technologies cover most of these bases?

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

Gustavo Aquino Mantovani
As far as I know, Royale is the successor to flexjs and yes, is being
currently developed and Carlos Rivera posted some weeks ago that he
deployed a production app using Royale. I would say it's a safe bet so far.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019, 20:18 bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Royale the same as FlexJS???
>
> How far along are these web conversions of AS3 and MXML?  Mine are business
> apps, not games, so I don't need advanced 3D technologies or do any
> tweening
> or any heavy graphics work.  But my app does need things like Lists, Grids,
> ArrayCollections, Images, fast AMF communication with databases, etc.  Do
> these technologies cover most of these bases?

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

Paul Stearns
I am also searching for alternatives for 3 complex apps, and 1 minor app using similar code bases. I need data entry widgets grids, etc. from Flex 3.x (pre spark). I use FlouruneFX to talk to the middle tier.

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

Alex Harui-2
Royale was FlexJS.  Royale is aimed at business apps.  Games have not been a focus, but if folks want to make Royale support games they are welcome to do so.

I would not bet any money that anyone will produce a 100% compatible version of Flex without Flash.  So, I've been recommending that you get used to the idea that you will have to do at least some work to get off of Flex-on-Flash.  We think Royale is the least work.  Especially compared to a full port of your app to a different JS framework.

There are at least 3 distinct workflows in Royale that dictate the amount and kind of work you will need to do.  One company (where Harbs and Yishay work) rewrote their UI on top of the lightweight component set in order to save computation cycles for non-UI stuff.  They had to write code to get the screen to look like they wanted, but I believe there were able to reuse the vast majority of their business logic.  They went into production over a year ago, IIRC.

Carlos recently went into production with a Royale app that uses the Jewel component set he developed.  Jewel is not lightweight, but looks great out-of-the-box.  So, he (and some others) also rewrote their UI, but also took that opportunity to modernize the UI to use newer interaction widgets, which might be the right thing for you to do if you think your UI is stale.  But I believe they also reused the vast majority of their business logic.

The 3rd workflow is to use the emulation component set.  These components are also not lightweight.  The goal of these components is to mimic as many Flex APIs as needed as closely as possible.  Slowly but surely, we are migrating Tour De Flex to Royale.  Here's a link to the latest nightly build.  http://apacheroyaleci.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com:8080/job/TourDeFlexMigration/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/examples/mxroyale/tourdeflexmodules/bin/js-debug/index.html  So far, the migration of Tour De Flex required very little changes to the application source code.  At least two companies are in progress with their migration using this set.

All parts of Royale are still works-in-progress.  There will still be bugs and missing features.  We want folks to try Royale, tell us what isn't working or what is needed, and even better, help write the code to fix the bug or produce the feature.  If we all get involved now and work together, Royale will mature faster than if you wait on the sidelines.  Your best bet is to help each other.  If you find and fix a bug in the emulation AdvancedDataGrid or RemoteObject, someone else probably saves some time and hopefully will fix a bug in some other component and save you time.  There is no company driving the development of Royale so waiting mainly shortens the time you will have to migrate.

If you think you don't have the skill set to help, you're probably wrong about that.  Some of the work is just setting some padding or margin styles.  But you also can try to contract someone to do the work.  I believe there are at least a couple of committers who have cycles to help.

On 4/3/19, 6:29 PM, "Paul Stearns" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    I am also searching for alternatives for 3 complex apps, and 1 minor app using similar code bases. I need data entry widgets grids, etc. from Flex 3.x (pre spark). I use FlouruneFX to talk to the middle tier.

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

bilbosax
Thanks for the detailed information Alex. I have never written a web app in
any language, so have just a couple of concerns. One is bandwidth and
expense. My AIR app is big enough that if the app needs to be downloaded
every single time a person wants to toy around with it, it would get quite
expensive for me. Do web apps get cached on a users device so that it
doesn't have to be downloaded with every use? If so, how does it know when
you have made a change to the app that requires it to be downloaded again?

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

Alex Harui-2
Most (probably all) browsers have caching, but you may not be able to rely on your app being cached.

A web app can't do everything a desktop or mobile app can do (and vice-versa), so I recommend that you stop to consider what features you actually can deliver over the web, then consider how to deliver it.  If your users are only temporarily away from their devices, they may not need access to every feature.  If they are using a borrowed browser, how will they remember what URL to navigate to?  If they are just going to their company's main site to login, the main site can redirect them to smaller sub-sections of the app.

Royale (and Flex) support the concept of Modules where portions of the app can be downloaded on demand.  A FormManager web app wouldn't have every form in the initial download, it would download the form the user chooses.

    --
    Sent from: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C6d792dea805e42d6ed5e08d6b915bb4f%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636899900322130078&amp;sdata=sDzsoxGbaCYLJFEvVZgHGvPXeR5Gpf%2BlLbzeOliR2lk%3D&amp;reserved=0