On Disk vs Uncompressed size of modules...

On Disk vs Uncompressed size of modules...

Paul Stearns
I have some fairly large modules, for example one which has a swf file that is 120KB on disk a little over 2,000 lines of mxml & as code combined). When run in the IDE it reports "2,674,599 bytes after decompression." While I am not particularly concerned about the size per se, it does take between 3 & 5 seconds to display the module and start the "Init" (CreationComplete) code.

Trace output tells the tale;

Starting addModuleThu Feb 7 22:43:21 GMT-0500 2019
[SWF] I:\MyProject\src\bin\MyModule.swf - 2,674,599 bytes after decompression
Starting ModuleLoadDoneThu Feb 7 22:43:21 GMT-0500 2019
Starting Init Thu Feb 7 22:43:26 GMT-0500 2019

From the time the Module is loaded until the Init fires is about 5 seconds. ModuleLoadDone is fired when the ModuleEvent.READY is dispatched. "Starting Init" is the first line in the function called by "CreationComplete" on the module.

What could be causing the delay?
What can I do to improve things?
Is it the expansion of the module?
Setting up all the objects?

Can I display the panel sooner while it is catching up in the background?

This is running on an I7 with a fair amount of memory, and it behaves the same in production as the IDE, time wise.

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: On Disk vs Uncompressed size of modules...

Alex Harui-2
Paul,

IMO, that would be a surprising level of compression.  I suppose it is possible, especially if there is a lot of repeating text content as assets, maybe by linking in every locale known to Flex.

Run swfdump on the SWF.  Post a link to the results.

Then run the performance profiler in Flash Builder or Scout.  That's really the only way to get hard data on what is taking so long.

-Alex

On 2/7/19, 8:09 PM, "Paul Stearns" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    I have some fairly large modules, for example one which has a swf file that is 120KB on disk a little over 2,000 lines of mxml & as code combined). When run in the IDE it reports "2,674,599 bytes after decompression." While I am not particularly concerned about the size per se, it does take between 3 & 5 seconds to display the module and start the "Init" (CreationComplete) code.

    Trace output tells the tale;

    Starting addModuleThu Feb 7 22:43:21 GMT-0500 2019
    [SWF] I:\MyProject\src\bin\MyModule.swf - 2,674,599 bytes after decompression
    Starting ModuleLoadDoneThu Feb 7 22:43:21 GMT-0500 2019
    Starting Init Thu Feb 7 22:43:26 GMT-0500 2019

    From the time the Module is loaded until the Init fires is about 5 seconds. ModuleLoadDone is fired when the ModuleEvent.READY is dispatched. "Starting Init" is the first line in the function called by "CreationComplete" on the module.

    What could be causing the delay?
    What can I do to improve things?
    Is it the expansion of the module?
    Setting up all the objects?

    Can I display the panel sooner while it is catching up in the background?

    This is running on an I7 with a fair amount of memory, and it behaves the same in production as the IDE, time wise.

    Paul R. Stearns
    Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

    15280 NW 79th Ct.
    Suite 250
    Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

    Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
    Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: On Disk vs Uncompressed size of modules...

Paul Stearns
Alex:

I downloaded swfdump from swfTools.org. What switch(es) would be appropriate for the dump?

Re: On Disk vs Uncompressed size of modules...

Paul Stearns
Alex:

I searched C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks and did not find any swfdump, I also searched the whole C:\ and did not find it.

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
There is a swfdump in the Flex SDK (bin/swfdump). We just want to see the first set of tags in the SWF, which includes uncompressed SWF size to see if it correlates. Just running "swfdump " should dump those tags.

-Alex

On 2/8/19, 8:33 AM, "Paul Stearns" wrote:

Alex:

I downloaded swfdump from swfTools.org. What switch(es) would be appropriate for the dump?

Re: On Disk vs Uncompressed size of modules...

Alex Harui-2
Hi Paul,

OK, I guess maybe we didn't ship it in Flex Builder 3.   It is in the 4.x SDK in Flash Builder 4.x.  I don't know what the swftools swfdump will output, but give it a try.  I would expect its default to be useful.

-Alex