MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

12

MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
Hello, Flex community!

A couple of months ago, I introduced a new extension for the Visual Studio
Code text editor that adds language support for ActionScript. The extension
includes tons of code intelligence features for ActionScript, like
IntelliSense, find all references, goto definition, variable renaming, and
more.

I didn't officially announce the project to the Apache Flex community right
away because, at the time, the extension only supported ActionScript, and I
hadn't started yet on MXML features. As we all know, MXML is pretty vital
for Flex applications!

Today, I'm happy to announce that the newest version of the NextGen
ActionScript extension for Visual Studio Code includes all the same great
features for MXML. You can install the extension right inside Visual Studio
Code. Simply search for "NextGen ActionScript" in the Extensions view.

For more information about the NextGenAS extension, visit the website:

https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/

For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
and even debug Apache FlexJS apps in a web browser, visit the Github wiki:

https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki

With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!

https://www.patreon.com/josht

Thank you, and happy coding!

Josh Tynjala
NextGen ActionScript

Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
might enjoy.

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Harbs
I tried to comment on your Patreon post, but Patreon is not letting me login in for some reason.

It looks really good! Big improvement!

The help tip to add imports is really helpful as well!

Thanks for your great work!

Harbs

On Dec 1, 2016, at 12:10 AM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Flex community!
>
> A couple of months ago, I introduced a new extension for the Visual Studio
> Code text editor that adds language support for ActionScript. The extension
> includes tons of code intelligence features for ActionScript, like
> IntelliSense, find all references, goto definition, variable renaming, and
> more.
>
> I didn't officially announce the project to the Apache Flex community right
> away because, at the time, the extension only supported ActionScript, and I
> hadn't started yet on MXML features. As we all know, MXML is pretty vital
> for Flex applications!
>
> Today, I'm happy to announce that the newest version of the NextGen
> ActionScript extension for Visual Studio Code includes all the same great
> features for MXML. You can install the extension right inside Visual Studio
> Code. Simply search for "NextGen ActionScript" in the Extensions view.
>
> For more information about the NextGenAS extension, visit the website:
>
> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>
> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> and even debug Apache FlexJS apps in a web browser, visit the Github wiki:
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>
> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>
> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>
> Thank you, and happy coding!
>
> Josh Tynjala
> NextGen ActionScript
>
> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
> might enjoy.

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
Yeah, the "code actions" are pretty cool as a way to provide automated
fixes for errors and warnings. I hope to find more places to add those. As
for imports, the newest language server protocol will finally allow me to
add imports automatically when IntelliSense completes a type name, so I'm
looking forward to upgrading the library and implementing that feature.

- Josh

On Dec 1, 2016 12:02 AM, "Harbs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to comment on your Patreon post, but Patreon is not letting me
> login in for some reason.
>
> It looks really good! Big improvement!
>
> The help tip to add imports is really helpful as well!
>
> Thanks for your great work!
>
> Harbs
>
> On Dec 1, 2016, at 12:10 AM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Flex community!
> >
> > A couple of months ago, I introduced a new extension for the Visual
> Studio
> > Code text editor that adds language support for ActionScript. The
> extension
> > includes tons of code intelligence features for ActionScript, like
> > IntelliSense, find all references, goto definition, variable renaming,
> and
> > more.
> >
> > I didn't officially announce the project to the Apache Flex community
> right
> > away because, at the time, the extension only supported ActionScript,
> and I
> > hadn't started yet on MXML features. As we all know, MXML is pretty vital
> > for Flex applications!
> >
> > Today, I'm happy to announce that the newest version of the NextGen
> > ActionScript extension for Visual Studio Code includes all the same great
> > features for MXML. You can install the extension right inside Visual
> Studio
> > Code. Simply search for "NextGen ActionScript" in the Extensions view.
> >
> > For more information about the NextGenAS extension, visit the website:
> >
> > https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
> >
> > For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> > and even debug Apache FlexJS apps in a web browser, visit the Github
> wiki:
> >
> > https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
> >
> > With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
> tools
> > for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a
> hand!
> >
> > https://www.patreon.com/josht
> >
> > Thank you, and happy coding!
> >
> > Josh Tynjala
> > NextGen ActionScript
> >
> > Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> > extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a
> member
> > of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that
> others
> > might enjoy.

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Harbs
That would be perfect. Automatically adding imports is something I’m really missing in VS Code.

“Organize imports” is another item that would be really nice to have.

“Command 1”  is something else I use in Flash Builder regularly. Generating getters and setters from variables is a great time saver. (Other quick fixes too)

I’m really pumped up about your extension. Good tooling for FlexJS is really important IMO, and tooling built around a modern editor with features like multi-selection, etc. is great.

What would be involved in having templates for different project types? Is that something that’s do-able in VS Code?

Harbs

On Dec 1, 2016, at 5:38 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> wiki:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>>>
>>> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
>> tools
>>> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a
>> hand!
>>>
>>> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>>>
>>> Thank you, and happy coding!
>>>
>>> Josh Tynjala
>>> NextGen ActionScript
>>>
>>> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
>>> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a
>> member
>>> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that
>> others
>>> might enjoy.

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

VSCode doesn't really have its own concept of project templates. I think
Microsoft recommends using something like Yeoman. http://yeoman.io/

That said, VSCode extensions can add commands to the Ctrl+Shift+P command
palette. For instance, the NextGenAS extension has a custom command to
generate a tasks.json file that runs asconfigc. I think it would be
possible for an extension to add a command that creates and populates a set
of files as a way to generate a new project. There are a few options for
displaying simple UI (pick from a list of options, choose a file, show an
alert bar with a few buttons), so the wizard could ask a few questions in
the process.

- Josh

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be perfect. Automatically adding imports is something I’m
> really missing in VS Code.
>
> “Organize imports” is another item that would be really nice to have.
>
> “Command 1”  is something else I use in Flash Builder regularly.
> Generating getters and setters from variables is a great time saver. (Other
> quick fixes too)
>
> I’m really pumped up about your extension. Good tooling for FlexJS is
> really important IMO, and tooling built around a modern editor with
> features like multi-selection, etc. is great.
>
> What would be involved in having templates for different project types? Is
> that something that’s do-able in VS Code?
>
> Harbs
>
> On Dec 1, 2016, at 5:38 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, the "code actions" are pretty cool as a way to provide automated
> > fixes for errors and warnings. I hope to find more places to add those.
> As
> > for imports, the newest language server protocol will finally allow me to
> > add imports automatically when IntelliSense completes a type name, so I'm
> > looking forward to upgrading the library and implementing that feature.
> >
> > - Josh
> >
> > On Dec 1, 2016 12:02 AM, "Harbs" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I tried to comment on your Patreon post, but Patreon is not letting me
> >> login in for some reason.
> >>
> >> It looks really good! Big improvement!
> >>
> >> The help tip to add imports is really helpful as well!
> >>
> >> Thanks for your great work!
> >>
> >> Harbs

> >> Studio
> >> extension
> >> and

> >> right
> >> and I
> vital

> great
> >> Studio

> compiler,
> >> wiki:

> >> tools
> >> hand!

> >> member
> >> others

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Hans Nuecke
Hi Josh,

compliments to what you've already achieved. Looks promising and I'm
considering giving it a try, when I'll start porting an AS3 project to
Javascript.

The first project will be pure AS3, but I have another project in mind
that makes heavy use of Flex and would be a nice candidate to test FlexJS.

So far I considered Typescript and most probably React as framework for
the first project; perhaps together with Pixi (if I do not continue
using a JS library that actually does most of the display list related
things).

But something like continuing developing in AS3 and then "simply"
convert it to JS sounds too nice to be true.

But if I understood things about NextGenAS correctly, that could be
possible. No sure how to handle dozens of classes, but I'll find out.

Before I dive into all that, I have a short question you hopefully can
answer:

You focus on VS Code as IDE. I'm used to IntelliJ IDEA, and prefer using
that.

I know you're an IntelliJ user also and iIrc you even plan a video about
that topic.

So what is your recommended approach for me?

Thanks and regards

Hans

Am 01.12.2016 um 21:47 schrieb Josh Tynjala:

> VSCode doesn't really have its own concept of project templates. I think
> Microsoft recommends using something like Yeoman. http://yeoman.io/
>
> That said, VSCode extensions can add commands to the Ctrl+Shift+P command
> palette. For instance, the NextGenAS extension has a custom command to
> generate a tasks.json file that runs asconfigc. I think it would be
> possible for an extension to add a command that creates and populates a set
> of files as a way to generate a new project. There are a few options for
> displaying simple UI (pick from a list of options, choose a file, show an
> alert bar with a few buttons), so the wizard could ask a few questions in
> the process.
>
> - Josh
>
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That would be perfect. Automatically adding imports is something I’m
>> really missing in VS Code.
>>
>> “Organize imports” is another item that would be really nice to have.
>>
>> “Command 1”  is something else I use in Flash Builder regularly.
>> Generating getters and setters from variables is a great time saver. (Other
>> quick fixes too)
>>
>> I’m really pumped up about your extension. Good tooling for FlexJS is
>> really important IMO, and tooling built around a modern editor with
>> features like multi-selection, etc. is great.
>>
>> What would be involved in having templates for different project types? Is
>> that something that’s do-able in VS Code?
>>
>> Harbs
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2016, at 5:38 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, the "code actions" are pretty cool as a way to provide automated
>>> fixes for errors and warnings. I hope to find more places to add those.
>> As
>>> for imports, the newest language server protocol will finally allow me to
>>> add imports automatically when IntelliSense completes a type name, so I'm
>>> looking forward to upgrading the library and implementing that feature.
>>>
>>> - Josh

>> vital

>> great

>> compiler,

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
IntelliJ IDEA works great for projects that target the Flash runtimes, but
its debugger doesn't work with ActionScript transpiled to JavaScript. You
can only debug the generated JavaScript. Not even source maps help. The
generated JavaScript isn't all that different from the ActionScript, so
it's not terrible, but it's not ideal either. In VSCode, source maps are
fully supported, and you can use VSCode's integrated debugger with the
original ActionScript when running in Chrome, Firefox, and Node.js (those
are the ones I've personally tried, but other browsers may work too).

Debugging SWFs in VScode isn't possible yet, but that's the next big thing
on my TODO list. Once I get that up and running, I'm going to try
developing my Flash projects in VSCode full time and switch away from
IntelliJ IDEA.

- Josh

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> “Organize imports” is another item that would be really nice to have.
>>>
>>> “Command 1”  is something else I use in Flash Builder regularly.
>>> Generating getters and setters from variables is a great time saver.
>>> (Other
>>> quick fixes too)
>>>
>>> I’m really pumped up about your extension. Good tooling for FlexJS is
>>> really important IMO, and tooling built around a modern editor with
>>> features like multi-selection, etc. is great.
>>>
>>> What would be involved in having templates for different project types?
>>> Is
>>> that something that’s do-able in VS Code?
>>>
>>> Harbs
>>>
>>> On Dec 1, 2016, at 5:38 PM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, the "code actions" are pretty cool as a way to provide automated
>>>>
>>> As

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

OK, then I'll give it a try with VS Code ;-)

Perhaps later I'll end up with a mix to get the best out of both worlds?
Future will tell

Hans

Am 01.12.2016 um 23:46 schrieb Josh Tynjala:

> [...]
>>> Microsoft recommends using something like Yeoman. http://yeoman.io/
>>>
>>> That said, VSCode extensions can add commands to the Ctrl+Shift+P command
>>> palette. For instance, the NextGenAS extension has a custom command to
>>> generate a tasks.json file that runs asconfigc. I think it would be
>>> possible for an extension to add a command that creates and populates a
>>> set
>>> of files as a way to generate a new project. There are a few options for
>>> displaying simple UI (pick from a list of options, choose a file, show an
>>> alert bar with a few buttons), so the wizard could ask a few questions in
>>> the process.
>>>
>>> - Josh
>>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That would be perfect. Automatically adding imports is something I’m

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Christian Gotschim
You should try VSCode! Ever since I heard about VSCode (on this list) a
[code editor] dream has come true for me! It’s fast, open source, lots of
extensions, and fits like an F16 fits a pilot — you just become one with it.

And with Josh’s NextGenAS extension it will be even better. I’ve used
IntelliJ IDEA for years and I’m personally fed up with their lack of support
for everything AS3/Flex/FlexJS. They don’t even get basic things like
syntax coloring for AS3/Flex working reliably.
Josh OTOH is not only listening and responding, but he’s also in the
same boat with the rest of us — can’t get any better than that! :)

-Christian

> On Dec 2, 2016, at 2:29 AM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, then I'll give it a try with VS Code ;-)
>
> Perhaps later I'll end up with a mix to get the best out of both worlds? Future will tell
>
> Hans
>

> Am 01.12.2016 um 23:46 schrieb Josh Tynjala:
>> IntelliJ IDEA works great for projects that target the Flash runtimes, but
>> its debugger doesn't work with ActionScript transpiled to JavaScript. You
>> can only debug the generated JavaScript. Not even source maps help. The
>> generated JavaScript isn't all that different from the ActionScript, so
>> it's not terrible, but it's not ideal either. In VSCode, source maps are
>> fully supported, and you can use VSCode's integrated debugger with the
>> original ActionScript when running in Chrome, Firefox, and Node.js (those
>> are the ones I've personally tried, but other browsers may work too).
>>
>> Debugging SWFs in VScode isn't possible yet, but that's the next big thing
>> on my TODO list. Once I get that up and running, I'm going to try
>> developing my Flash projects in VSCode full time and switch away from
>> IntelliJ IDEA.
>>
>> - Josh
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Josh,
>>>
>>> compliments to what you've already achieved. Looks promising and I'm
>>> considering giving it a try, when I'll start porting an AS3 project to
>>> Javascript.
>>>
>>> The first project will be pure AS3, but I have another project in mind
>>> that makes heavy use of Flex and would be a nice candidate to test FlexJS.
>>>
>>> So far I considered Typescript and most probably React as framework for
>>> the first project; perhaps together with Pixi (if I do not continue using a
>>> JS library that actually does most of the display list related things).
>>>
>>> But something like continuing developing in AS3 and then "simply" convert
>>> it to JS sounds too nice to be true.
>>>
>>> But if I understood things about NextGenAS correctly, that could be
>>> possible. No sure how to handle dozens of classes, but I'll find out.
>>>
>>> Before I dive into all that, I have a short question you hopefully can
>>> answer:
>>>
>>> You focus on VS Code as IDE. I'm used to IntelliJ IDEA, and prefer using
>>> that.
>>>
>>> I know you're an IntelliJ user also and iIrc you even plan a video about
>>> that topic.
>>>
>>> So what is your recommended approach for me?
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards
>>>
>>> Hans

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Hi Hans,

Mixing Two IDEs with Maven build is not so bad. :) I'm doing it, but who knows since Josh gives us support for mxml maybe I will drop Intellij.

Piotr
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Hans Nuecke
Thanks for your 2 cts; confirming my thoughts ;-)
Hans

Am 02.12.2016 um 08:45 schrieb piotrz:

> Hi Hans,
>
> Mixing Two IDEs with Maven build is not so bad. :) I'm doing it, but who
> knows since Josh gives us support for mxml maybe I will drop Intellij.
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Hans Nuecke
Guess what: I did it ;-)
And I agree: first impression is of VS Code is very positive; kind of
motivation push to finally enter "fully heartedly" the JS world.

After first tests with the early versions of Typescript I was waiting
for things to settle, i.e. Typescript becoming a stable, fully
functional release;  and for getting a better feeling about supporting
frameworks like Angular and/or React, ...
And I was about starting now, since imO things are pretty much settled now.

But what I've seen with VS Code (also supporting Typescript of course)
and NetGenAS promises to be a more natural and better fit for my
personal needs.

We'll see...
Thanks
Hans

Am 02.12.2016 um 05:08 schrieb Christian Gotschim:

> You should try VSCode! Ever since I heard about VSCode (on this list) a
> [code editor] dream has come true for me! It’s fast, open source, lots of
> extensions, and fits like an F16 fits a pilot — you just become one with it.
>
> And with Josh’s NextGenAS extension it will be even better. I’ve used
> IntelliJ IDEA for years and I’m personally fed up with their lack of support
> for everything AS3/Flex/FlexJS. They don’t even get basic things like
> syntax coloring for AS3/Flex working reliably.
> Josh OTOH is not only listening and responding, but he’s also in the
> same boat with the rest of us — can’t get any better than that! :)
>
> -Christian
>

>> On Dec 2, 2016, at 2:29 AM, Hans Nuecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK, then I'll give it a try with VS Code ;-)
>>
>> Perhaps later I'll end up with a mix to get the best out of both worlds? Future will tell
>>
>> Hans
>>

>> Am 01.12.2016 um 23:46 schrieb Josh Tynjala:
>>> IntelliJ IDEA works great for projects that target the Flash runtimes, but
>>> its debugger doesn't work with ActionScript transpiled to JavaScript. You
>>> can only debug the generated JavaScript. Not even source maps help. The
>>> generated JavaScript isn't all that different from the ActionScript, so
>>> it's not terrible, but it's not ideal either. In VSCode, source maps are
>>> fully supported, and you can use VSCode's integrated debugger with the
>>> original ActionScript when running in Chrome, Firefox, and Node.js (those
>>> are the ones I've personally tried, but other browsers may work too).
>>>
>>> Debugging SWFs in VScode isn't possible yet, but that's the next big thing
>>> on my TODO list. Once I get that up and running, I'm going to try
>>> developing my Flash projects in VSCode full time and switch away from
>>> IntelliJ IDEA.
>>>
>>> - Josh

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Harbs
Josh,

I just noticed that toggling XML comments no longer work with your latest update.

Harbs

On Dec 1, 2016, at 12:10 AM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Flex community!
>
> A couple of months ago, I introduced a new extension for the Visual Studio
> Code text editor that adds language support for ActionScript. The extension
> includes tons of code intelligence features for ActionScript, like
> IntelliSense, find all references, goto definition, variable renaming, and
> more.
>
> I didn't officially announce the project to the Apache Flex community right
> away because, at the time, the extension only supported ActionScript, and I
> hadn't started yet on MXML features. As we all know, MXML is pretty vital
> for Flex applications!
>
> Today, I'm happy to announce that the newest version of the NextGen
> ActionScript extension for Visual Studio Code includes all the same great
> features for MXML. You can install the extension right inside Visual Studio
> Code. Simply search for "NextGen ActionScript" in the Extensions view.
>
> For more information about the NextGenAS extension, visit the website:
>
> https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
>
> For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> and even debug Apache FlexJS apps in a web browser, visit the Github wiki:
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
>
> With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer tools
> for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a hand!
>
> https://www.patreon.com/josht
>
> Thank you, and happy coding!
>
> Josh Tynjala
> NextGen ActionScript
>
> Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a member
> of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that others
> might enjoy.

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
Yeah, I have it fixed on Github. It'll work in the next update.

- Josh

On Dec 4, 2016 1:31 AM, "Harbs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> I just noticed that toggling XML comments no longer work with your latest
> update.
>
> Harbs
>
> On Dec 1, 2016, at 12:10 AM, Josh Tynjala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Flex community!
> >
> > A couple of months ago, I introduced a new extension for the Visual
> Studio
> > Code text editor that adds language support for ActionScript. The
> extension
> > includes tons of code intelligence features for ActionScript, like
> > IntelliSense, find all references, goto definition, variable renaming,
> and
> > more.
> >
> > I didn't officially announce the project to the Apache Flex community
> right
> > away because, at the time, the extension only supported ActionScript,
> and I
> > hadn't started yet on MXML features. As we all know, MXML is pretty vital
> > for Flex applications!
> >
> > Today, I'm happy to announce that the newest version of the NextGen
> > ActionScript extension for Visual Studio Code includes all the same great
> > features for MXML. You can install the extension right inside Visual
> Studio
> > Code. Simply search for "NextGen ActionScript" in the Extensions view.
> >
> > For more information about the NextGenAS extension, visit the website:
> >
> > https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
> >
> > For instructions about how to create a new project, set up the compiler,
> > and even debug Apache FlexJS apps in a web browser, visit the Github
> wiki:
> >
> > https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki
> >
> > With the community's help, I can continue working on useful developer
> tools
> > for ActionScript and MXML. Please join my Patreon campaign to lend a
> hand!
> >
> > https://www.patreon.com/josht
> >
> > Thank you, and happy coding!
> >
> > Josh Tynjala
> > NextGen ActionScript
> >
> > Note: I am an Apache Flex committer and PMC member, but this VSCode
> > extension is not an Apache project. Today, I am simply posting as a
> member
> > of the community who wants to share a cool, independent project that
> others
> > might enjoy.

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

PKumar
Hi Josh,

I have setup the VCode on my window7 laptop. I created a sample project using flexJS and compiled without any error. But  after compilation there is no JS file generating. So is there any specific command to generate the JS file? Please suggest.
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
Hi Prashant,

Did you follow these instructions to build the project with tasks.json?
https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/Create-tasks.json-to-compile-an-ActionScript-project

What does the compiler print to the console?

What does your asconfig.json file contain?

If it built successfully, you should see a bin directory in your project
with a js-debug directory inside (and maybe js-release, depending on your
compiler options). Are you saying that this directory did not appear? That
is empty? Something else?

- Josh

On Dec 11, 2016 12:22 AM, "PKumar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Josh,

I have setup the VCode on my window7 laptop. I created a sample project
using flexJS and compiled without any error. But  after compilation there is
no JS file generating. So is there any specific command to generate the JS
file? Please suggest.

-----
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

PKumar
This post was updated on .
I followed the instruction on below link
https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/Create-tasks.json-to-compile-an-ActionScript-project

https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/Create-a-new-ActionScript-project-in-Visual-Studio-Code-that-targets-FlexJS

But after compilation,  no "bin" folder created  under my project folder. Below is my "asconfig.json"

{
    "config": "flex",
    "compilerOptions": {
        "debug": true,
        "js-output-type": "flexjs",
                "output":"bin"
    },
    "files":
    [
        "src/Main.mxml"
    ]
}

-----tasks.json
{
        // See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=733558
        // for the documentation about the tasks.json format
        "version": "0.1.0",
        "command": "asconfigc",
        "isShellCommand": true,
        "args": [
                //"flexHome=E:/ApacheFlexJSDevelop/FlexJS07"
        ],
        "showOutput": "always"
}

Please suggest.
Regards,
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
What is the console output from the compiler?

- Josh

On Dec 12, 2016 7:55 PM, "PKumar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I followed the instruction on below link
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/
> wiki/Create-tasks.json-to-compile-an-ActionScript-project
>
> https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/Create-a-new-
> ActionScript-project-in-Visual-Studio-Code-that-targets-FlexJS
>
> But after compilation,  no "bin" folder created  under my project folder.
> Below is my "asconfig.json"
>
> {
>     "config": "flex",
>     "compilerOptions": {
>         "debug": true,
>         "js-output-type": "flexjs",
>                 "output":"bin"
>     },
>     "files":
>     [
>         "src/Main.mxml"
>     ]
> }
>
> Please suggest.
>

> -----
> Regards,
> Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

PKumar
I am not getting any message on console, but I changed the command "asconfigc" to "mxmlc"  in my "task.json"  and start getting error on  console window.

Console Error:
Error: a target file must be specified.

task.json
{
        // See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=733558
        // for the documentation about the tasks.json format
        "version": "0.1.0",
        "command": "mxmlc",
Prashant

Re: MXML and ActionScript in Visual Studio Code

Josh Tynjala
You should see something in VSCode's Output view when you build with
Ctrl+Shift+B (or Cmd+Shift+B on macOS). Maybe not an error, but the
compiler output will never be completely empty.

Switching to mxmlc would require values in "args". It doesn't know anything
about the asconfig.json file. That's why you use asconfigc.

- Josh

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM, PKumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not getting any message on console, but I changed the command
> "asconfigc" to "mxmlc"  in my "task.json"  and start getting error on
> console window.
>
> *Console Error:*
> Error: a target file must be specified.
>
> task.json
> {
>         // See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=733558
>         // for the documentation about the tasks.json format
>         "version": "0.1.0",
>         *"command": "mxmlc",*
>         "isShellCommand": true,
>         "args": [
>                 //"flexHome=E:/ApacheFlexJSDevelop/FlexJS07"
>         ],
>         "showOutput": "always"
> }
>

> -----