Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

12

Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Olaf Krueger
Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,

even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology, Flex
in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current browser
versions around 2020!

The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we assume
that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.

So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your Flex
apps, e.g.

- Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
- Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
- Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
- ...

If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about what
your plans are!

Thanks,
The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

mark goldin
I am in a process of migrating applications into HTML5/AngularJS.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 2:25 PM Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,
>
> even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology, Flex
> in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
> To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current browser
> versions around 2020!
>
> The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we assume
> that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.
>
> So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your Flex
> apps, e.g.
>
> - Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
> - Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - ...
>
> If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about
> what
> your plans are!
>
> Thanks,
> The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

DaneiL
I gave up flash. I'm using react / react native.

[]'s

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Rick Mills-2
I intend on staying with the browser and Apache Royale.

> On Apr 30, 2018, at 2:25 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,
>
> even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology, Flex
> in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
> To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current browser
> versions around 2020!
>
> The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we assume
> that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.
>
> So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your Flex
> apps, e.g.
>
> - Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
> - Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - ...
>
> If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about what
> your plans are!
>
> Thanks,
> The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

ScolabAndre
We start the conversion of your product.
- We need the browser
- Convert to Typescript and React
- On going process.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 at 15:56 Rick Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I intend on staying with the browser and Apache Royale.
>
> > On Apr 30, 2018, at 2:25 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,
> >
> > even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology,
> Flex
> > in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
> > To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current
> browser
> > versions around 2020!
> >
> > The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we
> assume
> > that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.
> >
> > So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your
> Flex
> > apps, e.g.
> >
> > - Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
> > - Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> > - Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> > - ...
> >
> > If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about
> what
> > your plans are!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

ScottM

- We need the browser
- Convert to JS  / maybe typescript and React
- start September

we did not want to do this but we are a dev team of 2 and need to look at the next 10 years

> On 30 Apr 2018, at 21:09, André Lacasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We start the conversion of your product.
> - We need the browser
> - Convert to Typescript and React
> - On going process.
>
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 at 15:56 Rick Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I intend on staying with the browser and Apache Royale.
>>
>>> On Apr 30, 2018, at 2:25 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,
>>>
>>> even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology,
>> Flex
>>> in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
>>> To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current
>> browser
>>> versions around 2020!
>>>
>>> The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we
>> assume
>>> that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.
>>>
>>> So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your
>> Flex
>>> apps, e.g.
>>>
>>> - Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
>>> - Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
>>> - Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
>>> - ...
>>>
>>> If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about
>> what
>>> your plans are!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Jay Wood
We are re-writing our application from the ground up using HTML 5 and
pure Javascript (no jQuery, and minimal reliance on 3rd-party libraries).

On 4/30/2018 12:25 PM, Olaf Krueger wrote:

> Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,
>
> even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology, Flex
> in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
> To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current browser
> versions around 2020!
>
> The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we assume
> that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.
>
> So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your Flex
> apps, e.g.
>
> - Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
> - Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - ...
>
> If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about what
> your plans are!
>
> Thanks,
> The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team

Jay Wood
Tech4Learning, Inc.
http://www.tech4learning.com
http://www.pics4learning.com

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Jerry Hamby

Long time Flex developer, now switched to Swift. Do mostly mobile but I would
like a tool (Royale ???) to publish to IOS, Android and Web.

Starting to develop Dashboards (Bootstrap) but if I could use Royale for everything, that would be great.

Hoping Royale becomes more than a toy.

Jerry

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

0xC3
Dropped the browser, went to AIR. So far it's been happy camping.

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

irwan.husein
- Still maintain about 5 flex application for client.
- prepare to switch to dart, angular dart
- maybe apache royale, for amf support

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM, 0xC3 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dropped the browser, went to AIR. So far it's been happy camping.

RE: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

fhassani

We need to continue providing the browser version.
If Royale is ready in about 6 months, it will be our saviour!

Thank you for your efforts!

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Jeffry Houser

  Most of my clients have migrated years ago to AngularJS or Angular.
I've heard of a few folks who went the React route, but non in my
current circle of clients.

On 4/30/2018 3:25 PM, Olaf Krueger wrote:

> Hello from the Apache Royale (FlexJS) team,
>
> even if Flex with AIR is still an awesome and outstanding technology, Flex
> in the browser ends with the end of FlashPlayer in 2020.
> To be clear: There will be no way to run your Flex apps in current browser
> versions around 2020!
>
> The Flex mailing lists are followed by a few hundred people and we assume
> that there are still a lot of Flex browser apps out there.
>
> So, we are really interested in what you are planning to do with your Flex
> apps, e.g.
>
> - Do you need to stick with the browser at all?
> - Do you plan to migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - Did you already migrate your Flex apps to whatever other technology?
> - ...
>
> If you are reading this post and have a Flex app, please speak up about what
> your plans are!
>
> Thanks,
> The Apache Royale (FlexJS) team

Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
http://www.jeffryhouser.com
203-379-0773

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Carlos Rovira-2
Our plan is to switch to Apache Royale so we can maintain AMF/RemoteObject
communication with Java backend and only rewrite Apache Flex cliente to
Apache Royale with Jewel UI Component set

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

RE: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Petr Nemecek

we'd love to stay in the browser, but the browser area is still wild west,
all the technolgies/frameworks availabe (we tried many) are not capable of
doing what we need (and what works in Flex/FlashPlayer out of the box), or
don't work properly, or rely on one dude, so we (unfortunatelly) decided to
go out of the browser. As our customers are businesses, it hopefully will
not be that painful.

We've already started migration, we need 2018+2019 for coding, and 2020 for
switching the users. We've decided to go to Java (back to roots), as we
believe, it will be alive in 10+ years. With all those fancy voids we are
not sure about it, and our customers are not ready to pay for migrating the
app every second year.

Regards,
 Petr

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

After24

We are a team of two people working fulltime since 2011 on three flex
applications for a single client.
These three applications represents a huge amount of work so developping
HTML5 substitutes is not an option for the client regarding costs and time
involved.

Decision has be taken to migrate to AIR desktop and mobile applications.
After several months, two applications have been fused and migrated into one
single AIR desktop app.

In term of strategy, our position is to stay away from the browser whenever
we can. When we can't, we would love to use Apache Royale. I'm following the
progress made by the team on the mailing list and I can't wait to find some
time to try Royale.

Why ?

1 - Because it's not managed by a big company like Google, Apple, Adobe...
2 - Because it's based on a rock solid language for the logic part
3 - Because i's based on MXML for the view part
4 - Because of AMF that will permit to my associate (who works on the server
side) to keep developping without changing anything to his workflow

Big thank you to the Apache Flex/Royale team for all the work done and the
hope generated for flex devs like us.

Vincent.

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

reisan lukelog
converting to angularcli some openui5

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:56 PM, After24 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are a team of two people working fulltime since 2011 on three flex
> applications for a single client.
> These three applications represents a huge amount of work so developping
> HTML5 substitutes is not an option for the client regarding costs and time
> involved.
>
> Decision has be taken to migrate to AIR desktop and mobile applications.
> After several months, two applications have been fused and migrated into
> one
> single AIR desktop app.
>
> In term of strategy, our position is to stay away from the browser whenever
> we can. When we can't, we would love to use Apache Royale. I'm following
> the
> progress made by the team on the mailing list and I can't wait to find some
> time to try Royale.
>
> Why ?
>
> 1 - Because it's not managed by a big company like Google, Apple, Adobe...
> 2 - Because it's based on a rock solid language for the logic part
> 3 - Because i's based on MXML for the view part
> 4 - Because of AMF that will permit to my associate (who works on the
> server
> side) to keep developping without changing anything to his workflow
>
> Big thank you to the Apache Flex/Royale team for all the work done and the
> hope generated for flex devs like us.
>
> Vincent.

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Evyatar Ben Halevi-Arbib
We rewrite our flex applications using Angular and I must say it improved
significantly after making TypeScript part of the framework, alongside
major performance enhancements.
In addition, in some of the pure actionscript logic classes we can actually
copy & paste some functions with a few syntax adjustments.
The only problem we still have is around live video streaming, where we
still use small flash applications for RTMP streaming, but we hope WebRTC
would be production-ready for our needs soon.

Regards,
Evyatar

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:09 AM, Petr Nemecek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we'd love to stay in the browser, but the browser area is still wild west,
> all the technolgies/frameworks availabe (we tried many) are not capable of
> doing what we need (and what works in Flex/FlashPlayer out of the box), or
> don't work properly, or rely on one dude, so we (unfortunatelly) decided to
> go out of the browser. As our customers are businesses, it hopefully will
> not be that painful.
>
> We've already started migration, we need 2018+2019 for coding, and 2020 for
> switching the users. We've decided to go to Java (back to roots), as we
> believe, it will be alive in 10+ years. With all those fancy voids we are
> not sure about it, and our customers are not ready to pay for migrating the
> app every second year.
>
> Regards,
>  Petr

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

Just about all of my Flex clients have moved to other technologies (most several years ago), either HTML and JS or a JS framework like angular or react. Those that are still using Flex don’t seem to have the budget and/or time to rewrite it in another technology. One I recently talked to (which had 1000’s of simple Flex applications - they work in the education space) has decided to automate the conversion via taking screen shots and convert to plan HTML with image maps as it’s less cost and effort than converting to a JS framework or Royale. (They also have some swfs which they don’t have the source code to which was a factor in that decision.) I’ve not seen any contract work re converting Flex to RoyaleJS (seems to be mostly internal projects?) but I have worked on a green fields project that used Apache FlexJS / Royale.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

Paulus de B.
We develop business desktop and mobile apps in Flex/AS3 running on AIR,
connecting to a Java/JEE backend with real time data push.

We are in the process of migrating one of our apps from Flash/Browser to
Flex/AIR, adding new functionality as we go. It's just so easy to develop in
Flex.

Very impressed with the development speed compared to other technologies.
Not a big fan of HTML/JS/CSS, so if we can avoid the browser we will (e.g.
compare laying out an application in CSS with MXML).

Pauls de B.

Re: Life after FlashPlayer, are you prepared?

gkk gb
I'm one developer with Flex app running in browser. Short term I'll move to AIR as standalone app, but long term would like to replace front end with Royale. Would like to see the Flex components replicated in Royale to make the transition easier. The implementation can be different, but just having the components available would make a big difference.