Just compiled BlazeDS - not sure how to install on Tomcat

Just compiled BlazeDS - not sure how to install on Tomcat

Bruce Hopkins
Hi all,

Several years ago, I used BlazeDS 3 with Tomcat. The binaries were in .WAR files, and deployment and testing was easy.

Ok, now I just compiled Apache BlazeDS 4 from source, and I have no idea on what to do. There are no .WAR files, and I'm not sure how to get started with any examples on Tomcat.

So, I want to get things running on Tomcat, but I have no idea what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

Re: Just compiled BlazeDS - not sure how to install on Tomcat

Christofer Dutz
Hi Bruce,

You made me notice that I still need to merge the last release to master for BlazeDS. For now, I would suggest to checkout the develop branch.
I think things have become easier with latest updates. I was never a big fan of the fat war approach of the Adobe releases (even if the new one also produces wars).

With the full transition to Maven we have also just released some BlazeDS Archetypes. These are templates Maven can use to create new projects based upon a template.

To create a new project, running BlazeDS in a Spring-Boot application running in Tomcat or Jetty, just execute the following command:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.flex.blazeds -DarchetypeArtifactId=blazeds-spring-boot-example-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=4.7.3

This will generate a new maven module as your project. You can build it with:

mvn package

And run the application with this:

mvn spring-boot:run

Hope that helps,
    Chris

    Bruce

Re: Just compiled BlazeDS - not sure how to install on Tomcat

Bruce Hopkins
Thanks Chris,

Let me noodle around and see what happens. I'm trying to give my boss and simple demo of BlazeDS's abilities of push notifications and remote binding. Do you know where I can find some out of the box examples to do that?

Thanks,

Bruce

> On 17 Apr 2017, at 00:03, Christofer Dutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> You made me notice that I still need to merge the last release to master for BlazeDS. For now, I would suggest to checkout the develop branch.
> I think things have become easier with latest updates. I was never a big fan of the fat war approach of the Adobe releases (even if the new one also produces wars).
>
> With the full transition to Maven we have also just released some BlazeDS Archetypes. These are templates Maven can use to create new projects based upon a template.
>
> To create a new project, running BlazeDS in a Spring-Boot application running in Tomcat or Jetty, just execute the following command:
>
> mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.flex.blazeds -DarchetypeArtifactId=blazeds-spring-boot-example-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=4.7.3
>
> This will generate a new maven module as your project. You can build it with:
>
> mvn package
>
> And run the application with this:
>
> mvn spring-boot:run
>
> Hope that helps,
>    Chris
>

> Am 16.04.17, 22:07 schrieb "Bruce Hopkins" <[hidden email]>:
>
>    Hi all,
>
>    Several years ago, I used BlazeDS 3 with Tomcat. The binaries were in .WAR files, and deployment and testing was easy.
>
>    Ok, now I just compiled Apache BlazeDS 4 from source, and I have no idea on what to do. There are no .WAR files, and I'm not sure how to get started with any examples on Tomcat.
>
>    So, I want to get things running on Tomcat, but I have no idea what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>    Thanks,
>
>    Bruce

Re: Just compiled BlazeDS - not sure how to install on Tomcat

Christofer Dutz
Well I am using this in my RAPIRO project.
It’s a little project running blazeds on a raspberry or Edison based robot sending push information to a flex based remote control.
I setup the project to work on non embedded systems for debugging so you could give this a try https://github.com/chrisdutz/RAPIRO

It’s not pretty though ;-)

Chris