How To Start Converting A Browser Project to FlexJS

How To Start Converting A Browser Project to FlexJS

doug777
My old Spark project starts with the following mxml tags : Application,
RemoteObject, BorderContainer, HGroup and so on.

Looking at the FlexJS API
http://people.apache.org/~pent/asdoc-flexjs/index.html, I see four different
Application tags. How to know which one to choose?

The HelloWorld example in the SDK uses js:View and others use many tags that
are not in the API. How to know what is available?

There is no RemoteObject in the API, but the RemoteObjectAMFTest example in
the SDK uses a bead called RemoteObject. How can I know what beads are
available for a component?

What are the equivalents to Containers in FlexJS?

Just for starters. Any help appreciated.

Doug

Re: How To Start Converting A Browser Project to FlexJS

Alex Harui-2
Hi Doug,

If you aren't concerned about the size of your app, start with the Express
Application.  It has more things built in so there should be less
configuring.  Otherwise, start with Basic Application.  For browser
projects, you won't need Cordova Application as it is for Cordova
projects.  You could go with CreateJS if you want and use the CreateJS
Application.

I went to see why RemoteObject wasn't in the API and found that the link
you are looking it out of date.  Where did you find that link?

We are currently trying to produce a FlexJS application for our ASDoc.
The latest is here:

SWF:
http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/FlexJS_ASDoc_Example/lastSucce
ssfulBuild/artifact/examples/flexjs/ASDoc/bin-debug/ASDoc.html
JS:
http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/FlexJS_ASDoc_Example/lastSucce
ssfulBuild/artifact/examples/flexjs/ASDoc/bin/js-debug/index.html

But I found that those links haven't been updated in two months.  It will
get refreshed in a couple of hours from now, but RemoteObject is so new,
we haven't put in any ASDoc for it.  I'm at the end of my day, so
hopefully some volunteer can provide some of the missing doc.

Thanks for catching our doc problems,
-Alex

On 9/12/17, 9:16 PM, "doug777" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>My old Spark project starts with the following mxml tags : Application,
>RemoteObject, BorderContainer, HGroup and so on.
>
>Looking at the FlexJS API
>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fpeople.apach
>e.org%2F~pent%2Fasdoc-flexjs%2Findex.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4481da714c7a41
>59045408d4fa5e48ab%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C6364087302
>49017723&sdata=f3rmTqSkx9yZrTlEsvOc0CPyZCNu5e3zbxzsoaEt%2B5c%3D&reserved=0
>, I see four different
>Application tags. How to know which one to choose?
>
>The HelloWorld example in the SDK uses js:View and others use many tags
>that
>are not in the API. How to know what is available?
>
>There is no RemoteObject in the API, but the RemoteObjectAMFTest example
>in
>the SDK uses a bead called RemoteObject. How can I know what beads are
>available for a component?
>
>What are the equivalents to Containers in FlexJS?
>
>Just for starters. Any help appreciated.
>
>Doug
>

>--
>Sent from:
>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fle
>x-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4481da714c7a4159045408d
>4fa5e48ab%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636408730249017723&
>sdata=8x2aX4JEFDUerYnK45i9rkmZIz6RwJEGUWFRZEh%2FYi0%3D&reserved=0

Re: How To Start Converting A Browser Project to FlexJS

doug777
Thanks for the info.

The link I used came from Google - search for FlexJS API.

Doug

Re: How To Start Converting A Browser Project to FlexJS

Piotr Zarzycki
Hi Doug,

I'm not sure why but my message has been bounced, so resend.

First of all I'm glad that you are trying to use FlexJS to port your application. Thank you!

In case of tags and options - In FlexJS there are couple of modules which can be as a base used to build application.

Option 1:
Module Basic [1] and Express [2]. In Basic you have all components available in FlexJS - they need to be skinned (by css, Beads etc.). Express baked inside the components some beads as default.

Example: Basic Container do not have as default Scroller and you will not able to do the data binding if you will not add "ContainerDataBinding". Container in Express has both added as default. <js:Application>

Option 2:
MaterialDesignLight module - where with Carlos and many others people we have wrap all the components from Google MDL light [3] library and add some features like "dataProvider" to List and ability to use item renderers etc. Using this component you will have look and fill as presented in [3].
<mdl:Application>

Option 3:
Mixed Basic, Express and MDL - This require some tweaks in CSS, cause there are components which collide with each other. I think Yishay and Harbs can provide you more information cause they are using those modules like that in their apps.

Take a look into the examples [4][5] which we have - build them and see how everything look like.

Documentation:
Olaf lately started the idea off putting together documentation in nice ordered way. There are already some information, but it is not finished [6] and there is our wiki [7].

Lately Alex add to FlexJS support for AMF. Carlos described how to test it on Dev [8] - it was merged to develop, so it is available in the newest Nightly Build  - 0.9.0. - I know that you already downloaded it but maybe try to do it again, since could not be available yet in yours.

I hope this initial information will help you dig into the FlexJS.

[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-asjs/tree/develop/frameworks/projects/Basic/src/main/flex/org/apache/flex/html
[2] https://github.com/apache/flex-asjs/tree/develop/frameworks/projects/Express/src/main/flex/org/apache/flex/express
[3] https://getmdl.io/components/index.html
[4] https://github.com/apache/flex-asjs/tree/develop/examples/flexjs
[5] https://github.com/apache/flex-asjs/tree/develop/examples/flexjs/MDLExample
[6] https://github.com/ok-at-github/flexjs-docs/wiki
[7] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS
[8] http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FlexJS-AMF-Steps-to-make-FlexJS-Java-RemoteObject-AMF-sample-work-td64146.html

On 2017-09-13 06:16, doug777 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My old Spark project starts with the following mxml tags : Application,
> RemoteObject, BorderContainer, HGroup and so on.
>
> Looking at the FlexJS API
> http://people.apache.org/~pent/asdoc-flexjs/index.html, I see four different
> Application tags. How to know which one to choose?
>
> The HelloWorld example in the SDK uses js:View and others use many tags that
> are not in the API. How to know what is available?
>
> There is no RemoteObject in the API, but the RemoteObjectAMFTest example in
> the SDK uses a bead called RemoteObject. How can I know what beads are
> available for a component?
>
> What are the equivalents to Containers in FlexJS?
>
> Just for starters. Any help appreciated.
>
> Doug

Re: How To Start Converting A Browser Project to FlexJS

Yishay Weiss
Hi Doug,

I'm afraid you won't get very far at this stage by relying solely on
documentation. There have been several efforts to try and improve this but
we're not there yet. Should definitely happen before 1.0.

I would first try to get some examples running in your IDE and browse the
source they use to understand what's going on. I recommend to do this on
HelloWorld, DataBinding, and FlexJSStore by order of complexity. If you get
FlexJSStore you'll probably get how to write a basic, but not altogether
trivial, application in FlexJS.

Of course we'd be happy to answer on this list any questions that arise
during this little journey.

Hope this helps,
Yishay

Re: How To Start Converting A Browser Project to FlexJS

doug777
Thanks guys!

That's given me a lot of great stuff to delve into and already given me a
much clearer idea of how to proceed.

Doug