Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Paul Stearns
Who would be able to help me assess which way to go to future proof Flex apps?

We have 4 Flex (currently compiled with 3.6 SDK)  applications which are fully integrated with a FluorineFX/VB middle tier and Oracle DB tier. They currently run in browser based Flash with very little interaction with the browser. The applications will continue to be desktop applications, with no portable/tablet interface required.

It appears we will need to do something prior to the end of 2020.

One of the applications which uses the framework created in house is a Time Accounting System (TAS) which we could make available to anyone interested in helping us figure the easiest approach to maintain as much of the user interface as possible while minimizing the conversion effort.

The applications have the look and feel of a desktop application with the flexibility of web deployment. A screenshot of the TAS system is attached.

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

mark goldin
Dont see screenshot.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 12:35 PM Paul Stearns <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Who would be able to help me assess which way to go to future proof Flex
> apps?
>
> We have 4 Flex (currently compiled with 3.6 SDK)  applications which are
> fully integrated with a FluorineFX/VB middle tier and Oracle DB tier. They
> currently run in browser based Flash with very little interaction with the
> browser. The applications will continue to be desktop applications, with no
> portable/tablet interface required.
>
> It appears we will need to do something prior to the end of 2020.
>
> One of the applications which uses the framework created in house is a
> Time Accounting System (TAS) which we could make available to anyone
> interested in helping us figure the easiest approach to maintain as much of
> the user interface as possible while minimizing the conversion effort.
>
> The applications have the look and feel of a desktop application with the
> flexibility of web deployment. A screenshot of the TAS system is attached.

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Paul Stearns
Mark:

It seems to have been stripped.

I will get a working site up with dummy data soon, and send the link.

Paul

wrote:

> Who would be able to help me assess which way to go to future proof Flex
> apps?
>
> We have 4 Flex (currently compiled with 3.6 SDK) applications which are
> fully integrated with a FluorineFX/VB middle tier and Oracle DB tier. They
> currently run in browser based Flash with very little interaction with the
> browser. The applications will continue to be desktop applications, with no
> portable/tablet interface required.
>
> It appears we will need to do something prior to the end of 2020.
>
> One of the applications which uses the framework created in house is a
> Time Accounting System (TAS) which we could make available to anyone
> interested in helping us figure the easiest approach to maintain as much of
> the user interface as possible while minimizing the conversion effort.
>
> The applications have the look and feel of a desktop application with the
> flexibility of web deployment. A screenshot of the TAS system is attached.

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Greg Dove
Hi Paul,
' The applications will continue to be desktop applications, with no
portable/tablet interface required. '

It was not entirely clear to me whether they will continue to be *web*
'desktop' applications? If not, one (relatively) quick option is to convert
the existing code to installable desktop applications built with AIR.

Otherwise if you are continuing to target the browser, the most direct way
to get to where you want to be is via Apache Royale.
Although I am not aware at this point of anyone using Apache Royale
specifically with FlourineFX, AMF remoting works (in the imminent 0.9.6
release) and it has been used in at least one app that has been in
production use for a number of months already.

In terms of support, one option is that Royale has page where you can
contact directly with some companies or individual developers. [1]

[1] https://royale.apache.org/royale-commercial-support/

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:35 AM Paul Stearns <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Who would be able to help me assess which way to go to future proof Flex
> apps?
>
> We have 4 Flex (currently compiled with 3.6 SDK)  applications which are
> fully integrated with a FluorineFX/VB middle tier and Oracle DB tier. They
> currently run in browser based Flash with very little interaction with the
> browser. The applications will continue to be desktop applications, with no
> portable/tablet interface required.
>
> It appears we will need to do something prior to the end of 2020.
>
> One of the applications which uses the framework created in house is a
> Time Accounting System (TAS) which we could make available to anyone
> interested in helping us figure the easiest approach to maintain as much of
> the user interface as possible while minimizing the conversion effort.
>
> The applications have the look and feel of a desktop application with the
> flexibility of web deployment. A screenshot of the TAS system is attached.

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Paul Stearns
Greg:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The applications are as close to being a desktop self contained application as we could make them. The only reason for being a browser based app is that it made installs and deployment of changes & enhancements a non issue.

AIR might be an option. What is the level of difficulty of setting up "automatic" upgrade deployment using AIR? I would like to have SWF files be recognized as being out of date and automatically downloaded. The current system uses ModuleLoader to place "programs" on the users "screen." When in the environment it looks very much like an old menu based .NET desktop application (only prettier).

Paul

wrote:

> Who would be able to help me assess which way to go to future proof Flex
> apps?
>
> We have 4 Flex (currently compiled with 3.6 SDK) applications which are
> fully integrated with a FluorineFX/VB middle tier and Oracle DB tier. They
> currently run in browser based Flash with very little interaction with the
> browser. The applications will continue to be desktop applications, with no
> portable/tablet interface required.
>
> It appears we will need to do something prior to the end of 2020.
>
> One of the applications which uses the framework created in house is a
> Time Accounting System (TAS) which we could make available to anyone
> interested in helping us figure the easiest approach to maintain as much of
> the user interface as possible while minimizing the conversion effort.
>
> The applications have the look and feel of a desktop application with the
> flexibility of web deployment. A screenshot of the TAS system is attached.

Re: Future proof Flex/Flash apps.

Greg Dove
   'What is the level of difficulty of setting up "automatic" upgrade
deployment using AIR? I would like to have SWF files be recognized as being
out of date and automatically downloaded. '

I guess there are different ways to do that.
Making the installed application itself update-able is not an unusual goal.
This would usually be the pattern where the app contains all the current
versions of any swf assets it uses, bundled in the package, and the user
gets a message saying the app can be updated, and it is like an
installation update process for the app itself.
iirc the only option for AIR now might be via captive-runtime builds (that
is something to check). So the update process is something that has to be
supported specifically instead of this: - perhaps either via a 'store'
distribution or manually for the specific app. I have seen a an AIR lib for
this in the past (this: [1] may still be relevant, not sure), or there are
probably ways to do it with native installer wrappers as well I think (all
to be verified).

The pattern where the app downloads and saves various swf assets and uses
them is also possible but it would likely require extra code on the client
side and server side to support the versioning checks etc.
This is easier on desktop than mobile (android is not so bad, but iOS has
some restrictions). it is also possible of course to mix this with the
above approach.

In terms of difficulty, I guess both of the above approaches are not new,
and IMO reasonably routine, so I would not rate this part as 'difficult'. I
have not done either on desktop because I have only worked on a few desktop
apps in the past, but I have used the second approach before on android.

If you do want to continue to target the browser though, Royale is likely
your best option without massive re-writes.

1.
https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/updating-air-apps-native-installer.html