[FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

[FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

Nicolas Granon
I have a hard time finding the (up-to-date) documentation for setting up
debugging with FlashBuilder (4.7, Windows) using JS output.

Debugging the SWF output works fine (with FF).

I have read the information at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+Adobe+Fla
sh+Builder but there is no indication on how to debug the source AS code
with the JS version (It only talks about debugging the js code in the
browser, not the AS code from FB).

What I want is putting breakpoints in the IDE (in the AS code) and have the
js code link back (with a map, I presume ? but I cannot find any map output
in the js folders) the same way it does when debugging the SWF.

Obviously, there must be some communication between the JS engine inside the
browser and the IDE (like there is a communication between the Flash player
and the IDE). How do you establish that communication ?

(I use Firefox but have no problem switching to Chrome if necessary).

Can someone point me to the right direction ?

Many thanks

Nicolas

Re: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

piotrz
Hi Nicolas,

I don't think that in case of FB you will be able to do this. When I was
using mostly Intellij for FlexJS (which do not have official support as FB)
I did debugging through Chrome and then get back to fix the code in AS.
In order to debugging in the standard way you have two IDEs - Moonshine IDE
[1] and VSCode [2]. Both ides sharing between same plugin for code
completion [4], but I have to admit that although I have started to working
actively on Moonshine development I didn't check how debugger works there
yet. I know that in VSCode is working great.

If you choose one of those and you will have any questions/bugs raise them
there [3] or [4] in case of VSCode.

Definitely I will check soon.

[1] http://moonshine-ide.com/
[2] https://nextgenactionscript.com/
[3] https://github.com/prominic/Moonshine-IDE
[4] https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas

> I have a hard time finding the (up-to-date) documentation for setting up
> debugging with FlashBuilder (4.7, Windows) using JS output.
>

> Debugging the SWF output works fine (with FF).
>

> I have read the information at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+
> FlexJS+with+Adobe+Fla
> sh+Builder but there is no indication on how to debug the source AS code
> with the JS version (It only talks about debugging the js code in the
> browser, not the AS code from FB).
>

> What I want is putting breakpoints in the IDE (in the AS code) and have the
> js code link back (with a map, I presume ? but I cannot find any map output
> in the js folders) the same way it does when debugging the SWF.
>

> Obviously, there must be some communication between the JS engine inside
> the
> browser and the IDE (like there is a communication between the Flash player
> and the IDE). How do you establish that communication ?
>
> (I use Firefox but have no problem switching to Chrome if necessary).
>

> Can someone point me to the right direction ?
>

> Many thanks
>

> Nicolas

Piotr Zarzycki

mobile: +48 880 859 557
skype: zarzycki10

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/piotrzarzycki
<https://pl.linkedin.com/in/piotr-zarzycki-92a53552>

GitHub: https://github.com/piotrzarzycki21

RE: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

Idylog - Nicolas Granon
Hi Piotr,

Thank you for this information.
Following your reply, I have read Josh Tynjala's papers and, as I understand it, it is possible to use source maps for debugging with FB but it works only with pure as3 source code, not mxml code. Furthermore, the actions are a bit convoluted (you have to load the map from the browser debug tools, go back to the IDE...many extra steps and not very convenient).

It seems that the work Josh has made for tight integration between VSCode and FlexJS is amazing.

I will (try to) go that way. VSCode is a good editor, and I don't mind using it for our FlexJS projects (we will keep Eclipse for Java and Coldfusion).
Moreover, we are also evaluating ReactJS as a replacement for SWF apps, and use VSCode as an editor.

Many thanks again

Nicolas Granon

Re: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

Alex Harui-2
I think SourceMaps for MXML were working in some simple cases in 0.8.0 but
there was a bug that Josh fixed that we were going to release in a 0.8.1.
Given we're creating a new project, we'll probably call it Royale 0.9.0
and get it out shortly after we get everything else in the project up and
running.  I'm currently playing around with different ways to package
Royale so we don't have to use the Installer.

Regarding debugging in FlashBuilder, the original vision for FlexJS
development workflow was that you would build both a SWF and JS version
and debug your SWF version in FlashBuilder.  Debugging using Flash has
some significant advantages as the Flash runtime will:
-not allow some kinds of type mismatches
-verify that modules conform to interfaces
-not allow unexpected access of protected and private members
-not allow method reassignment
-catch all kinds of assignments to missing properties
And more.

Debugging the SWF version should save you significant time.  The goal was
to make the UI widgets look the same, but at minimum, we want the widgets
to take the same space on the screen and the layouts to place things in
pretty much the same place so that you can test your code in Flash.

Then, once you have that working, you can try the JS version and in
theory, once we fixed enough bugs in the JS version, there should be
little or no need to debug JS in the browser.  That's not true right now,
we've got plenty of bugs to fix where the JS runs differently than the SWF
version, but that's the basic theory.

IOW, you want to test your code in a more rigid environment (Flash) before
trusting that it will run in the less rigid environment (JS in the
browser).

I still believe that debugging in Flash will pay off in catching errors
sooner, especially for bigger more complex apps.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

On 9/26/17, 8:32 AM, "Idylog - Nicolas Granon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Piotr,
>
>Thank you for this information.
>Following your reply, I have read Josh Tynjala's papers and, as I
>understand it, it is possible to use source maps for debugging with FB
>but it works only with pure as3 source code, not mxml code. Furthermore,
>the actions are a bit convoluted (you have to load the map from the
>browser debug tools, go back to the IDE...many extra steps and not very
>convenient).
>
>It seems that the work Josh has made for tight integration between VSCode
>and FlexJS is amazing.
>
>I will (try to) go that way. VSCode is a good editor, and I don't mind
>using it for our FlexJS projects (we will keep Eclipse for Java and
>Coldfusion).
>Moreover, we are also evaluating ReactJS as a replacement for SWF apps,
>and use VSCode as an editor.
>
>Many thanks again
>
>Nicolas Granon

RE: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

Idylog - Nicolas Granon
Alex, thank you for your comments.

We will go the VSCode way : it seems to work quite well, the debug mode seems quite reliable and we are not "tied" to Eclipse.
And I also like Josh's vision of bringing FlexJS as "1st class citizen" into VSCode ecosystem.

Also, I would like to share my views with you regarding the future of FlashBuilder, of the "dual-output" philosophy and also regarding the workflow you suggest (rigid and less-rigid environments).

I do not want to ignite an opinion thread ("This is good" vs "this is bad", "you are right" vs "you are wrong" etc....). Should I send a message directly to you or do you think that an "opinion-based" thread has its place in this mailing list ??

Many thanks again

Nicolas

(for my information : do we have any idea of the adoption rate of VSCode among Flex/AS3 developers ?)

Re: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

OmPrakash Muppirala
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Idylog - Nicolas Granon <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Alex, thank you for your comments.
>
> We will go the VSCode way : it seems to work quite well, the debug mode
> seems quite reliable and we are not "tied" to Eclipse.
> And I also like Josh's vision of bringing FlexJS as "1st class citizen"
> into VSCode ecosystem.

Thanks for your feedback, Nicolas.

I would like to emphasize that the VSCode work done by Josh is not part of
this Apache project.  As a result, it would be great if you and your team
find a way to support Josh with the great work he is doing :-)

Re: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

Hi Nicolas,

Opinions are most welcome on our mailing lists.   We want to know what our
users are thinking even if it is criticism.

On 9/26/17, 2:07 PM, "Idylog - Nicolas Granon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Alex, thank you for your comments.
>
>We will go the VSCode way : it seems to work quite well, the debug mode
>seems quite reliable and we are not "tied" to Eclipse.
>And I also like Josh's vision of bringing FlexJS as "1st class citizen"
>into VSCode ecosystem.
>
>Also, I would like to share my views with you regarding the future of
>FlashBuilder, of the "dual-output" philosophy and also regarding the
>workflow you suggest (rigid and less-rigid environments).
>
>I do not want to ignite an opinion thread ("This is good" vs "this is
>bad", "you are right" vs "you are wrong" etc....). Should I send a
>message directly to you or do you think that an "opinion-based" thread
>has its place in this mailing list ??
>
>Many thanks again
>
>Nicolas
>
>(for my information : do we have any idea of the adoption rate of VSCode
>among Flex/AS3 developers ?)

Re: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

Harbs
If it’s any indication, Josh’s extension currently has a download count of 9,304 in the VS Code marketplace.

> (for my information : do we have any idea of the adoption rate of VSCode among Flex/AS3 developers ?)

Re: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

piotrz
Nicolas,

Josh's extension is awesome! It gives life also to Moonshine IDE, thanks to
this we have two free IDE which supports FlexJS.

I hope you and your team will not give up with FlexJS even if it needs a
bit bug fixing in framework. This community need such people who tried
framework and use it for produce real world applications!

Thank you!

--

Piotr Zarzycki

mobile: +48 880 859 557
skype: zarzycki10

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/piotrzarzycki
<https://pl.linkedin.com/in/piotr-zarzycki-92a53552>

GitHub: https://github.com/piotrzarzycki21

RE: [FlexJS] Debugging setup with Flashbuilder and JS output

Idylog - Nicolas Granon
We have always considered that, if we use a tool for producing software that we sell, the tool creator/editor deserves its share !

Regards,

Nicolas Granon

That is quite an interesting information (even if, of course, that does not indicate adoption but only installs).
Updates download will give a more meaningful figure : if people get an update, it should mean they really use it...

Thank you

Nicolas Granon

You are right : Josh made a quite remarkable piece of work.
We are still in our comparative evaluation process (ReactJS/FlexJS) and we are aware that FlexJS is not yet in v.1.0.
As such, we are very indulgent regarding remaining bugs and are rather focused on the workflow, IDE integration, extensibility, documentation, third-party UI libraries etc. and also what I would call the "global concept".

Best regards

Nicolas Granon