Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Angelo Lazzari
Hi,
out customer is thinking about to create a new app that will work ok
mobile,tablet, browser and...smart TV... the core of this app will be a
video library (like Netflix) where the user will navigate through categories
and he/she will click on videos to watch them.

So the question we have are:
-which is the best approach to develop the app to be Smart TV compliant?
-there are tested Amazon S3 library that you are already using in a project?

We googled a bit and all the documentation we met seems to be a bit
old...2008/2009...
https://code.google.com/archive/p/as3awss3lib/

Finally, ... about FlexJS do you think we could create a project with this
technology?

Thank you very much
Angelo

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Olaf Krueger
Angelo Lazzari wrote
-there are tested Amazon S3 library that you are already using in a project?
If Amazon S3 supports setting "X-HTTP-Method-Override" you maybe can directly consume its REST API by using HTTPService even without a lib but it's probably a bit cumbersome.
(Due to a bug in Flash, a HTTPService/URLRequest with a GET request will not properly send headers.The X-HTTP-Method-Override header tells the API how to treat it)

Another maybe venturesome option could be to capture the 'S3 nodejs SDK' by targeting nodejs using the FlexJS compiler. But I don't know if this would work. If you take a look at the TypeScript world you'll find some ideas how they do it with TypeScript. There already exist some type definitions for TypeScript.

Angelo Lazzari wrote
Finally, ... about FlexJS do you think we could create a project with this technology?
FlexJS 0.8.0 will be published soon and I think it's definitely worth to try it out!
It comes with a rich Material Design component set (MDL) and a lot of other new or revised stuff.
So give it a try! At least it depends on your app requirements if it fits your needs. If it's not all in place keep in mind that it's open source so you have the chance to contribute missing things at any time ;-))

Hope this helps,

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Angelo Lazzari
Thank you Olaf for your answer. About Flex JS i will do a POC to check if
the entire process can be done.

About Amazon, i think i can do a test ...

Do you have information about Smart TV?

Thank you very much in advance!
Angelo

El lun., 12 jun. 2017 a las 10:13, OK (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Angelo Lazzari wrote
> > -there are tested Amazon S3 library that you are already using in a
> > project?
>
> If Amazon S3 supports setting "X-HTTP-Method-Override" you maybe can
> directly consume its REST API by using HTTPService even without a lib but
> it's probably a bit cumbersome.
> (Due to a bug in Flash, a HTTPService/URLRequest with a GET request will
> not
> properly send headers.The X-HTTP-Method-Override header tells the API how
> treat it)
>
> Another maybe venturesome option could be to capture the 'S3 nodejs SDK' by
> targeting nodejs using the FlexJS compiler. But I don't know if this would
> work. If you take a look at the TypeScript world you'll find some ideas how
> they do it with TypeScript. There already exist some type definitions for
> TypeScript.
>

> Angelo Lazzari wrote
> > Finally, ... about FlexJS do you think we could create a project with
> this
> > technology?
>
> FlexJS 0.8.0 will be published soon and I think it's definitely worth to
> try
> it out!
> It comes with a rich Material Design component set (MDL) and a lot of other
> new or revised stuff.
> So give it a try! At least it depends on your app requirements if it fits
> your needs. If it's not all in place keep in mind that it's open source so
> you have the chance to contribute missing things at any time ;-))
>
> Hope this helps,
> Olaf

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Olaf Krueger
Angelo Lazzari wrote
Do you have information about Smart TV?
Unfortunately not but this is also interesting for me.
I've discussed this topic with Leonidas from Greece at ApacheCon.
He is an experienced Flex guy and if I remember it correctly he said that he is already using Android Smart TVs with AIR.

I don't know if he's following the list currently... if not you maybe could get in touch with him off list[1].

Olaf

[1] https://apachecon2017.sched.com/leo41

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

leokan23
Hey Angelo,

so I will answer only about the TV part as I am not sure about AWS. :)

AIR (and Flex) used to support old Smart TVs like samsung b6000 series (2009?). Unfortunately since 2012 most, dropped support moving to custom OS like Tizen for samsung or web os for LG, which as a result caused many problems with Smart TVs.

In the latest versions of of AIR (I think since 23) there is support for Android TV and tvOS. This allows you to build AIR and flex apps targeting these platforms. Android TV is already available in some Sony models, and of course there are tv boxes with it like nvidia shield. tvOS is available via tha tvOS box.

In both cases you can work as usual, even using ANEs, and just add <supportsAndroidTV>true</supportsAndroidTV> for android or
<key>UIDeviceFamily</key>
 <array>
 <string>3</string>
 </array>

for tvOS in your manifest.

Some things for your tv checklist:
Android TV is a version of Android so you should follow best practices for it.
Android TV needs an extra banner for icon ( <banner>./assets/appicons/android_tv_banner.png</banner> in manifest )
Both platforms are in lanscape mode so you should design for that.
Be really carefull with assets and DPIs. Think about it as designing for a huge tablet. DPIs are low due to size so you might need some custom coding for sharp assets.
There are other options for input which you should consider using.

You can find out more here

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Gary Yang
You can post binary data or upload file into S3 from browser/Flash directly
or even through CloudFront, as long as your S3 bucket is open, usually
browser/Flash call Lambda for a token which expires in a few seconds, then
use this token post/upload data/file to S3.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM, leokan23 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Angelo,
>
> so I will answer only about the TV part as I am not sure about AWS. :)
>
> AIR (and Flex) used to support old Smart TVs like samsung b6000 series
> (2009?). Unfortunately since 2012 most, dropped support moving to custom OS
> like Tizen for samsung or web os for LG, which as a result caused many
> problems with Smart TVs.
>
> In the latest versions of of AIR (I think since 23) there is support for
> Android TV and tvOS. This allows you to build AIR and flex apps targeting
> these platforms. Android TV is already available in some Sony models, and
> of
> course there are tv boxes with it like nvidia shield. tvOS is available via
> tha tvOS box.
>
> In both cases you can work as usual, even using ANEs, and just add
> <supportsAndroidTV>true</supportsAndroidTV> for android or
> <key>UIDeviceFamily</key>
>  <array>
>  <string>3</string>
>  </array>
>
> for tvOS in your manifest.
>
> Some things for your tv checklist:
> Android TV is a version of Android so you should follow best practices for
> it.
> Android TV needs an extra banner for icon (
> <banner>./assets/appicons/android_tv_banner.png</banner> in manifest )
> Both platforms are in lanscape mode so you should design for that.
> Be really carefull with assets and DPIs. Think about it as designing for a
> huge tablet. DPIs are low due to size so you might need some custom coding
> for sharp assets.
> There are other options for input which you should consider using.
>
> You can find out more  here
> <http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/
> shared/air25_flashplayer25_releasenotes.pdf>

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Angelo Lazzari
Thank you guys these are really precious informations..this community
really rocks!!!

Do you know if these info are valid for flexjs too?

Than you very much again
Angelo

El lun., 12 de junio de 2017 19:45, Gary Yang <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> You can post binary data or upload file into S3 from browser/Flash directly
> or even through CloudFront, as long as your S3 bucket is open, usually
> browser/Flash call Lambda for a token which expires in a few seconds, then
> use this token post/upload data/file to S3.
>

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM, leokan23 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey Angelo,
> >
> > so I will answer only about the TV part as I am not sure about AWS. :)
> >
> > AIR (and Flex) used to support old Smart TVs like samsung b6000 series
> > (2009?). Unfortunately since 2012 most, dropped support moving to custom
> OS
> > like Tizen for samsung or web os for LG, which as a result caused many
> > problems with Smart TVs.
> >
> > In the latest versions of of AIR (I think since 23) there is support for
> > Android TV and tvOS. This allows you to build AIR and flex apps targeting
> > these platforms. Android TV is already available in some Sony models, and
> > of
> > course there are tv boxes with it like nvidia shield. tvOS is available
> via
> > tha tvOS box.
> >
> > In both cases you can work as usual, even using ANEs, and just add
> > <supportsAndroidTV>true</supportsAndroidTV> for android or
> > <key>UIDeviceFamily</key>
> >  <array>
> >  <string>3</string>
> >  </array>
> >
> > for tvOS in your manifest.
> >
> > Some things for your tv checklist:
> > Android TV is a version of Android so you should follow best practices
> for
> > it.
> > Android TV needs an extra banner for icon (
> > <banner>./assets/appicons/android_tv_banner.png</banner> in manifest )
> > Both platforms are in lanscape mode so you should design for that.
> > Be really carefull with assets and DPIs. Think about it as designing for
> > huge tablet. DPIs are low due to size so you might need some custom
> coding
> > for sharp assets.
> > There are other options for input which you should consider using.
> >
> > You can find out more  here
> > <http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/
> > shared/air25_flashplayer25_releasenotes.pdf>

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Gary Yang
I havn't try FlexJS yet, but I'm sure it works the same way since they are
all in browsers using HTTP.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Angelo Lazzari <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you guys these are really precious informations..this community
> really rocks!!!
>
> Do you know if these info are valid for flexjs too?
>
> Than you very much again
> Angelo
>
> El lun., 12 de junio de 2017 19:45, Gary Yang <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
> > You can post binary data or upload file into S3 from browser/Flash
> directly
> > or even through CloudFront, as long as your S3 bucket is open, usually
> > browser/Flash call Lambda for a token which expires in a few seconds,
> then
> > use this token post/upload data/file to S3.
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM, leokan23 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey Angelo,
> > >
> > > so I will answer only about the TV part as I am not sure about AWS. :)
> > >
> > > AIR (and Flex) used to support old Smart TVs like samsung b6000 series
> > > (2009?). Unfortunately since 2012 most, dropped support moving to
> custom
> > OS
> > > like Tizen for samsung or web os for LG, which as a result caused many
> > > problems with Smart TVs.
> > >
> > > In the latest versions of of AIR (I think since 23) there is support
> for
> > > Android TV and tvOS. This allows you to build AIR and flex apps
> targeting
> > > these platforms. Android TV is already available in some Sony models,
> and
> > > of
> > > course there are tv boxes with it like nvidia shield. tvOS is available
> > via
> > > tha tvOS box.
> > >
> > > In both cases you can work as usual, even using ANEs, and just add
> > > <supportsAndroidTV>true</supportsAndroidTV> for android or
> > > <key>UIDeviceFamily</key>
> > >  <array>
> > >  <string>3</string>
> > >  </array>
> > >
> > > for tvOS in your manifest.
> > >
> > > Some things for your tv checklist:
> > > Android TV is a version of Android so you should follow best practices
> > for
> > > it.
> > > Android TV needs an extra banner for icon (
> > > <banner>./assets/appicons/android_tv_banner.png</banner> in manifest )
> > > Both platforms are in lanscape mode so you should design for that.
> > > Be really carefull with assets and DPIs. Think about it as designing
> for
> > > huge tablet. DPIs are low due to size so you might need some custom
> > coding
> > > for sharp assets.
> > > There are other options for input which you should consider using.
> > >
> > > You can find out more  here
> > > <http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/
> > > shared/air25_flashplayer25_releasenotes.pdf>

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Angelo Lazzari
Ok great thank you very much!

Angelo

El lun., 12 de junio de 2017 20:48, Gary Yang <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> I havn't try FlexJS yet, but I'm sure it works the same way since they are
> all in browsers using HTTP.
>
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Angelo Lazzari <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you guys these are really precious informations..this community
> > really rocks!!!
> >
> > Do you know if these info are valid for flexjs too?
> >
> > Than you very much again
> > Angelo
> >
> > El lun., 12 de junio de 2017 19:45, Gary Yang <[hidden email]>
> > escribió:
> >
> > > You can post binary data or upload file into S3 from browser/Flash
> > directly
> > > or even through CloudFront, as long as your S3 bucket is open, usually
> > > browser/Flash call Lambda for a token which expires in a few seconds,
> > then
> > > use this token post/upload data/file to S3.

> :)

> series
> > custom
> > > OS
> many

> > for
> > targeting
> > and
> available
> > > via

> practices
> > > for
> )
> > for
> > > coding

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Angelo Lazzari wrote
Do you know if these info are valid for flexjs too?
I've no experience with it but maybe Apache Cordova works with FlexJS on a SmartTV? [1].

Olaf

[1]
http://cordova.apache.org/

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Michael Gaston
Hello,

I wish to be removed from this list. Please remove my email. Thank you.

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 9:57 AM, Angelo Lazzari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Olaf for your answer. About Flex JS i will do a POC to check if
> the entire process can be done.
>
> About Amazon, i think i can do a test ...
>
> Do you have information about Smart TV?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!
> Angelo
>
>> El lun., 12 jun. 2017 a las 10:13, OK (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>>
>> Angelo Lazzari wrote
>>> -there are tested Amazon S3 library that you are already using in a
>>> project?
>>
>> If Amazon S3 supports setting "X-HTTP-Method-Override" you maybe can
>> directly consume its REST API by using HTTPService even without a lib but
>> it's probably a bit cumbersome.
>> (Due to a bug in Flash, a HTTPService/URLRequest with a GET request will
>> not
>> properly send headers.The X-HTTP-Method-Override header tells the API how
>> treat it)
>>
>> Another maybe venturesome option could be to capture the 'S3 nodejs SDK' by
>> targeting nodejs using the FlexJS compiler. But I don't know if this would
>> work. If you take a look at the TypeScript world you'll find some ideas how
>> they do it with TypeScript. There already exist some type definitions for
>> TypeScript.
>>

>> Angelo Lazzari wrote
>>> Finally, ... about FlexJS do you think we could create a project with
>> this
>>> technology?
>>
>> FlexJS 0.8.0 will be published soon and I think it's definitely worth to
>> try
>> it out!
>> It comes with a rich Material Design component set (MDL) and a lot of other
>> new or revised stuff.
>> So give it a try! At least it depends on your app requirements if it fits
>> your needs. If it's not all in place keep in mind that it's open source so
>> you have the chance to contribute missing things at any time ;-))
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Olaf

Re: Flex comunication with Amazon S3 and Smart TV project

Josh Tynjala
The website has instructions to unsubscribe:

It looks like you send an email to [hidden email] to
tell the software to remove you.

- Josh