Flex Tutorials on Apache Flex Homepage

Elena Geller
Hi all,
A new Apache Flex Homepage is awesome and well designed, but I find that the tutorials are pretty outdated. I think it'd important to have a up-to-dated content.
For example, a tutorial about Flash/Flex Maps is old, the source code of library for modest maps had last changes in 2009. But we can use an excellent API from Mapquest and there is an interesting article about it: http://devgirl.org/2011/12/06/flex-mobile-development-adding-maps-with-mapquest-flash-api-w-sample-app/
I was playing around with Mapquest API and found the result good enough. A last release came in 2012, that looks much better than 2009.

Is it possible to replace an article?

I didn't work with Facebook API, but I'd reckon, this article is outdated too.

Cheers
Elena

Re: Flex Tutorials on Apache Flex Homepage

Jack Ring
Yea. I built my maps on the Google maps flash API which isn't even supported anymore. I want to update my code and rebuild around map quest but I wasn't sure if that was what everyone was using.

On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:05 PM, Elena Geller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> A new Apache Flex Homepage is awesome and well designed, but I find that the tutorials are pretty outdated. I think it'd important to have a up-to-dated content.
> For example, a tutorial about Flash/Flex Maps is old, the source code of library for modest maps had last changes in 2009. But we can use an excellent API from Mapquest and there is an interesting article about it: http://devgirl.org/2011/12/06/flex-mobile-development-adding-maps-with-mapquest-flash-api-w-sample-app/
> I was playing around with Mapquest API and found the result good enough. A last release came in 2012, that looks much better than 2009.
>
> Is it possible to replace an article?
>
> I didn't work with Facebook API, but I'd reckon, this article is outdated too.
>

> Cheers
> Elena

Re: Flex Tutorials on Apache Flex Homepage

Jeffry Houser

  If you want to take the effort to re-work the tutorial to use more
updated APIs and/or code; I have no doubt that Apache Flex would love
the donation.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Flex Tutorials on Apache Flex Homepage

Elena Geller
I think the community on Mapquest is active. (I know personally nobody, but it's irrelevant, Flex is rather my hobby.) And my first tests with Apache Flex 4.9 and Mapquest were positive. It does maps, reverse geocoding, POIs, directions, all what I need. I use mobile Open Data API and dare say, for Germany it seems to be precise. (There are no limits for Open Data API, good to know.) I can't reckon that everything works, I haven't tested in depth, but it's worth to evaluate and, I hope, to use in production.

On 10.02.2013, at 22:09, Jack Ring <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yea. I built my maps on the Google maps flash API which isn't even supported anymore. I want to update my code and rebuild around map quest but I wasn't sure if that was what everyone was using.
>

> On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:05 PM, Elena Geller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> A new Apache Flex Homepage is awesome and well designed, but I find that the tutorials are pretty outdated. I think it'd important to have a up-to-dated content.
>> For example, a tutorial about Flash/Flex Maps is old, the source code of library for modest maps had last changes in 2009. But we can use an excellent API from Mapquest and there is an interesting article about it: http://devgirl.org/2011/12/06/flex-mobile-development-adding-maps-with-mapquest-flash-api-w-sample-app/
>> I was playing around with Mapquest API and found the result good enough. A last release came in 2012, that looks much better than 2009.
>>
>> Is it possible to replace an article?
>>
>> I didn't work with Facebook API, but I'd reckon, this article is outdated too.
>>

>> Cheers
>> Elena

Re: Flex Tutorials on Apache Flex Homepage

Elena Geller
I have no doubt, too, and I can donate a code. My problem is my awful English, that's why I can produce a bad text, in hope, that it is at least understandable.