Flex Mobile List Flicker

bilbosax
I have been asking some questions in the last week here on mobile Lists, and
it appears that I have one last problem that I have stumbled across.  on my
mobile AIR app, the first drag or scroll on at least two of the lists in my
application will flicker when you first drag it, just one quick white frame.
I have found one other reference to this error online on stackoverflow here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10490117/flex-mobile-list-flickers

and here on this forum, but it was never answered:

http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/Flex-mobile-List-flickering-on-first-drag-td11724.html

Mine is not exactly like the one mentioned here in that I do not use an
iconItemRenderer, but rather my own custom itemRenderer, but the results are
the same - I am getting a one frame flicker, and only once when using the
list.  Has anyone else had this experience, and has anyone one found a
legitimate fix for the problem???

Thanks!!

Re: Flex Mobile List Flicker

bilbosax
Thanks for the suggestion Erik, but I don't think that is likely my problem.
Every time the dataChange event fires in the itemRenderer, I always
explicity set the width and height of the itemRenderer and every other
component in the renderer, and they are the same for every renderer in the
list, so I don't think that this is the problem.  I am going to toy with the
suggestion posted on Stackoverflow just for giggles, but it really feels
like a hack.  I think that there was a JIRA for this at one time, but I
think it may have been lost when things switched from Adobe to Apache
because the links I have found to the JIRA do not point to this issue at
all, they point to BlazeDS-???

Re: Flex Mobile List Flicker

OmPrakash Muppirala
I know your question was for List, but I am wondering if you can try the
MobileGrid (with one column) and see if the flickering is gone?

Here are a couple of examples:

https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/d726aee2da04bd796ab91fa1960d7e55d47cde44/frameworks/projects/experimental_mobile/asdoc/en_US/spark/components/examples/views/MobileGridView.mxml

https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/d726aee2da04bd796ab91fa1960d7e55d47cde44/frameworks/projects/experimental_mobile/asdoc/en_US/spark/components/examples/views/MobileGridView2.mxml

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:22 AM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion Erik, but I don't think that is likely my
> problem.
> Every time the dataChange event fires in the itemRenderer, I always
> explicity set the width and height of the itemRenderer and every other
> component in the renderer, and they are the same for every renderer in the
> list, so I don't think that this is the problem.  I am going to toy with
> the
> suggestion posted on Stackoverflow just for giggles, but it really feels
> like a hack.  I think that there was a JIRA for this at one time, but I
> think it may have been lost when things switched from Adobe to Apache
> because the links I have found to the JIRA do not point to this issue at
> all, they point to BlazeDS-???

Re: Flex Mobile List Flicker

bilbosax
Well, I can confirm that the faked touch event in the Stackoverflow solution
does work, but I wish you didn't have to go throught through the trouble as
it just feels like a hack to me.  I will look into trying the mobilegrid,
but it may take me a little time.  I don't know if my itemrenderer will be
compatible with a grid as it has quite a few components.  Do you know if
mobileGrid would be as efficient as a List on a mobile device?  If so, I
will definitely check it out, if not, it is probably not worth the effort.

Re: Flex Mobile List Flicker

OmPrakash Muppirala
Yes, the as the name suggests, the MobileGrid was built to support fast
scrolling etc. for mobile devices.
Although, if you have a fat item renderer, that might be the bottleneck
here.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 2:14 PM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I can confirm that the faked touch event in the Stackoverflow
> solution
> does work, but I wish you didn't have to go throught through the trouble as
> it just feels like a hack to me.  I will look into trying the mobilegrid,
> but it may take me a little time.  I don't know if my itemrenderer will be
> compatible with a grid as it has quite a few components.  Do you know if
> mobileGrid would be as efficient as a List on a mobile device?  If so, I
> will definitely check it out, if not, it is probably not worth the effort.

Re: Flex Mobile List Flicker

bilbosax
Although I am highly interested in this solution, I do not have the
actionscript programing skills to pull it off.  This is a real estate app,
and the itemrenderer has to display an image, several text fields for price,
beds, baths, etc., a button so that a user can view more info about the
property, and two fxg graphics.  Mobilegrid needs a custom actionscript
itemrenderer for all of this, and I just don't currently have the skill to
pull it off.  I can do mxml itemrenderers pretty good, but the one I have
created for my list is not compatible with the mobilegrid.  Thanks for the
suggestion, but I will probably have to stick with my current solution. :(