Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

rodolpho@essencialcode.com.br

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Gary Yang
It didn't say anything about AIR ...

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:11 PM, [hidden email] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
> <https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html>

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

rodolpho@essencialcode.com.br

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Looks like AIR will live on
https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update

On Jul 25, 2017 10:00 AM, "Gary Yang" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It didn't say anything about AIR ...
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:11 PM, [hidden email] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
> > <https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html>

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Gary Yang
I am curious about what they are going to change for running flash player
inside AIR HTML.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:07 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Looks like AIR will live on
> https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update
>
> On Jul 25, 2017 10:00 AM, "Gary Yang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It didn't say anything about AIR ...
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:11 PM, [hidden email] <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
> > > <https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Scott Matheson
Not sure I understand your comment about flash player inside Air HTML

I read this as the end of FP so the only option for web based apps is flashJS (which is a big port) or 100% rewrite

Or am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone

> On 25 Jul 2017, at 18:18, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am curious about what they are going to change for running flash player
> inside AIR HTML.
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:07 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Looks like AIR will live on
>> https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update
>>
>>> On Jul 25, 2017 10:00 AM, "Gary Yang" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It didn't say anything about AIR ...

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Gary Yang
What would happen without FP when loading swf files in:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/html/HTMLLoader.html

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Scott Matheson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Not sure I understand your comment about flash player inside Air HTML
>
> I read this as the end of FP so the only option for web based apps is
> flashJS (which is a big port) or 100% rewrite
>
> Or am I wrong?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 25 Jul 2017, at 18:18, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I am curious about what they are going to change for running flash player
> > inside AIR HTML.
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:07 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like AIR will live on
> >> https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update

> flash-update.html

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Harbs
FYI:

I am very close to releasing my port from Flash to FlexJS.

It was a lot of work to redo much of the UI, but well over 90% of the business logic and most of the UI logic worked with minimal or no modification. I was somewhat nervous about my choice to use FlexJS to migrate my app when I started, but I am thrilled with the results.

FlexJS is at the point where it’s very usable in production code. There are still some rough edges but it’s getting more polished every day.

So, while it’s not a small job, it’s very worthwhile to use FlexJS to migrate your app. You will probably even discover bugs in the process and your UI will probably get a modernization. So it’s not all bad. ;-)

Harbs

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 11:04 PM, Scott Matheson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure I understand your comment about flash player inside Air HTML
>
> I read this as the end of FP so the only option for web based apps is flashJS (which is a big port) or 100% rewrite
>
> Or am I wrong?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 25 Jul 2017, at 18:18, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am curious about what they are going to change for running flash player
>> inside AIR HTML.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:07 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like AIR will live on
>>> https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Harbs
Interesting question. I’d guess that does not use the FP at all, but uses the AIR runtime. If that’s true, it’ll probably still work.

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 12:19 AM, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What would happen without FP when loading swf files in:
>
> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/html/HTMLLoader.html
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Scott Matheson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Not sure I understand your comment about flash player inside Air HTML
>>
>> I read this as the end of FP so the only option for web based apps is
>> flashJS (which is a big port) or 100% rewrite
>>
>> Or am I wrong?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 25 Jul 2017, at 18:18, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am curious about what they are going to change for running flash player
>>> inside AIR HTML.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:07 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <
>> [hidden email]>

>> flash-update.html

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

reisan lukelog
adobe should just donate fp to apache, we have many apps at my company
still using flex web

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting question. I’d guess that does not use the FP at all, but uses
> the AIR runtime. If that’s true, it’ll probably still work.
>
> > On Jul 26, 2017, at 12:19 AM, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What would happen without FP when loading swf files in:
> >
> > http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/
> actionscript/3/flash/html/HTMLLoader.html
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Scott Matheson <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure I understand your comment about flash player inside Air HTML
> >>
> >> I read this as the end of FP so the only option for web based apps is
> >> flashJS (which is a big port) or 100% rewrite
> >>
> >> Or am I wrong?
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

> player

> >> [hidden email]>

> flash-update.html
> >> flash-update.html

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Dave Fisher
If there are multiple engineers available who would help with security patches then sure. Adobe would not be EOL on Flash if that were cheap.

If the source can be under the Apache License maybe.

That first requirement is what needs to be proven.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 6:45 PM, Vincent Sotto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> adobe should just donate fp to apache, we have many apps at my company
> still using flex web
>
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting question. I’d guess that does not use the FP at all, but uses
>> the AIR runtime. If that’s true, it’ll probably still work.
>>
>>> On Jul 26, 2017, at 12:19 AM, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> What would happen without FP when loading swf files in:
>>>
>>> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/
>> actionscript/3/flash/html/HTMLLoader.html
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Scott Matheson <
>> [hidden email]>

>> player

>> flash-update.html

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Paul Hastings
On 7/26/2017 4:28 AM, Harbs wrote:
> FYI:
>
> I am very close to releasing my port from Flash to FlexJS.

any chance of some general metrics/background on your effort?

Adobe's announcement has sent some of our clients into "end of days" hissy fits
& others into "well lets plan this out" mode. it would be nice to have some real
world facts to discuss in both cases.

thanks.

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Harbs
I go through many of the main points in my presentation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&index=5&list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&index=5&list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

The rest of the presentations are probably of interest as well.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 8:32 AM, Paul Hastings <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 7/26/2017 4:28 AM, Harbs wrote:
>> FYI:
>> I am very close to releasing my port from Flash to FlexJS.
>
> any chance of some general metrics/background on your effort?
>
> Adobe's announcement has sent some of our clients into "end of days" hissy fits & others into "well lets plan this out" mode. it would be nice to have some real world facts to discuss in both cases.
>
> thanks.

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Harbs
I don’t believe donating Flash would accomplish anything (even if there were enough people to work on it).

The browser providers have been gradually pushing Flash out. Without browser support, there’s no point in having a plugin. At this point, Adobe effectively has their hands tied, and EOLing Flash is the only sensible thing to do.

Harbs

thanks.

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Scott Matheson
If adobe had donate fFO 5 years ago IMHO flash would still be relevant

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Jul 2017, at 02:45, Vincent Sotto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> adobe should just donate fp to apache, we have many apps at my company
> still using flex web
>
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting question. I’d guess that does not use the FP at all, but uses
>> the AIR runtime. If that’s true, it’ll probably still work.
>>
>>> On Jul 26, 2017, at 12:19 AM, Gary Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> What would happen without FP when loading swf files in:
>>>
>>> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/
>> actionscript/3/flash/html/HTMLLoader.html
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Scott Matheson <
>> [hidden email]>

>> player

>> flash-update.html

AW: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Krüger, Olaf
Even if I'd really like it if the Flash Player lives forever its EOL Announcement is not a surprise at the end.
I would have liked a remaining life time a bit more time than just 2 years.
So we have to face the truth: Flash Player is dead.

But this doesn't mean that all our Flex development is useless suddenly.

Let's see the positive things:
There's still AIR as a powerful runtime alternative and maybe it will benefit from FP EOL.
So keep in mind that all our Flex apps are able to survive the loss of the Flash Player, with less effort.

Most of our development effort is coupled with AS3.
With FlexJS you can reuse your AS3/MXML skills so there's a fair chance to port your apps to JS/HTML5.
Keep in mind that it is up to each of us how fast FlexJS evolves.

I'm still using Flex, even for new projects. But I always keep the business logic free of any Flash dependencies and I removed AMF at server side at least.
Going this way I'm still hopeful that a migration to FlexJS could be done with little pain.
(If each Flex component has a counterpart at FlexJS side at least)

No matter if you decide to go with FlexJS or any other JS Framework, there's no guarantee that the chosen framework will still be there in a couple of years.
One of the main benefits of FlexJS is that is under the Apache hood.
So it's not influenced by the big players, we can even influence it ourselves.

Just my 2 cents,
Olaf

________________________________

Edscha Holding GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Remscheid
Registergericht: Wuppertal, HRB 22889
Geschäftsführung: Francisco J. Riberas Mera, Francisco López Peña, David Vázquez Pascual, Torsten Greiner, Markus Kirchner, Hans-Peter Schulz und Volker Weiss

Vertretungsberechtigt sind nur Geschäftsführer und schriftlich Bevollmächtigte.

Solely Managing Directors or employees with a written proxy have got power of representation.

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail including any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail including any attachments from your system. Thank you.

Re: AW: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Yishay Weiss
Well said.

There are plenty of things FlexJS could get a boost from, which don't necessarily involve hardcore framework development.

We need more testing, a better website, documentation, a default skin design, other stuff.

FlexJS is at 0.8.0 and we feel we're pretty close to 1.0. People on this list can help make that happen.

I encourage anyone interested to have a look at the links [1, 2, 3] to get an idea of the current state.

If anyone has an idea about what s/he can do, propose it here or on the dev list [4] and let's make it happen.

[1] https://nextgenactionscript.com/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS
[4] http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

Re: AW: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

piotrz
Yishay,

Thanks for encouragement to the users! I would add to that list our facebook fan page which has full of interesting news! ->https://www.facebook.com/ApacheFlexSDK/

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

megharajdeepak
Awesome. Well said. That sure would encourage many to use FlexJS. \../