Financial Features in AIR

bilbosax
I have a desktop and mobile AIR application that I have written.  It turns out that the best business model will likely include a monthly subscription to use the apps.  I REALLY don't want to be responsible for credit card information and other personal information.  Does anyone know if there is a plugin or ANE or service for AIR that would handle subscription services and shut down an app if a renewal fee isn't paid, etc???

Thanks!

Re: Financial Features in AIR

Jeffry Houser

  Took me 10 minutes of Googling to find this:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/621688  .  Look for the post written by me.

http://www.sharify.it/

http://www.nitrolm.com/

  Both of these places have active web sites; but I do not know if they
are still active.

On 1/5/2017 10:29 PM, bilbosax wrote:

> I have a desktop and mobile AIR application that I have written.  It turns
> out that the best business model will likely include a monthly subscription
> to use the apps.  I REALLY don't want to be responsible for credit card
> information and other personal information.  Does anyone know if there is a
> plugin or ANE or service for AIR that would handle subscription services and
> shut down an app if a renewal fee isn't paid, etc???
>
> Thanks!

Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
http://www.jeffryhouser.com
203-379-0773

Re: Financial Features in AIR

bilbosax
Thanks for taking the time to find that old post Jeffry.  I will definitely look further into these options.  Does anyone know if the Google Play Store or Apple App Store lets you release apps that takes into account subscriptions, such as every month they lock your app unless a user has paid for for the month? I know you can charge for an app purchase, but I don't know if you can do any type of subscription setup with them?

Re: Financial Features in AIR

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

>   Does anyone know if the Google Play Store
> or Apple App Store lets you release apps that takes into account
> subscriptions

Yes they do [1] you most likely need an AIR native extension to be able to take advantage of it. This may help [2]

Justin

1. https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/140504?hl=en
2. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/android-licensing-native-extensions.html

Re: Financial Features in AIR

bilbosax
A little discouraging info coming out of this search for licensing.  Sharify.it still has a website up, but I don't think that they are doing business anymore because when you try and contact them, you get a Server Error response.  Nitro is still very much in business, but when I contacted them about licensing, this is the response that I got:

"I would strongly recommend you look at solutions like StormPath or Auth0 or similar... for your access control and licensing of your AIR application.  AIR is not really something we consider to be an upward trajectory technology at this point.

Sorry we can't be of more direct help... AIR has fallen off our radar over the years with expectation to our internal tools and larger customers who we signed on a few years ago.

NOTE adobe Air is NOT secure -- so consider that in your design -- especially for any local encryption stuff you will be doing..."

I already knew that AIR was not as big as it once was, but when other companies stop offering services for it, that is when I fear that I made the wrong choice when writing the application.  On the other hand, so far AIR has done everything that I need it to do, and it is cross-platform so it was a great choice for me as a small startup.  I just hope that AIR is maintained for at least 5 years into the future where I will have more capital to make other choices if necessary.  Anyway, that still leaves me with an issue when it comes to licensing my application to users as a subscription.  I have both a desktop and mobile version so I want people to be able to sign up once, but be able to move seamlessly from desktop to tablet to mobile phone out in the field.  I would use the App Store or Google Play subscription services, but I don't believe that I can extend those licenses beyond the mobile platform to a desktop application(I am not sure yet).

So where I am at right now is looking into StormPath.  They only offer an Authentication Service with user names and passwords, but no billing services.  After a little more searching, it looks as if you can partner StormPath with PayPal or other billing services, so this might be a possible solution for me.

I won't know until Monday what my options are, but if anybody else knows of any services that I should be looking into to offer subscription use of my AIR app from desktop to mobile, please let me know.  It would be hugely appreciated, because I REALLY don't want to have to code this kind of a backend and be responsible for credit card information, etc.

Re: Financial Features in AIR

Harbs
I would recommend using Stripe rather than PayPal.

PayPal arbitrarily rejects credit cards for no apparent reason.

On 1/8/2017 5:08 AM, Harbs wrote:
> I would recommend using Stripe rather than PayPal.
>
> PayPal arbitrarily rejects credit cards for no apparent reason.
  Do you have a source for the claim?  I hadn't heard it before.

  I searched for similar errors; but only came up with situations where
people couldn't add cards to their account.  That is a different
situation than their payment processor services arbitrarily rejecting cards.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
203-379-0773

Re: Financial Features in AIR

Harbs
I don’t know, but I’ve had many reports of customers where PayPal would not accept their cards. It was usually corporate cards that were not accepted. I created a Stripe account specifically to deal with these customers. I’ve never had a problem with Stripe.

I’ve also had many customers who could not use credit cards without creating PayPal accounts. This seems to be country-specific.

On Jan 8, 2017, at 5:48 PM, Jeffry Houser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/8/2017 5:08 AM, Harbs wrote:
>> I would recommend using Stripe rather than PayPal.
>>
>> PayPal arbitrarily rejects credit cards for no apparent reason.
> Do you have a source for the claim?  I hadn't heard it before.
>
> I searched for similar errors; but only came up with situations where people couldn't add cards to their account.  That is a different situation than their payment processor services arbitrarily rejecting cards.
>

> --
> Jeffry Houser
> Technical Entrepreneur
> http://www.jeffryhouser.com
> 203-379-0773

Re: Financial Features in AIR

Jeffry Houser
Okay, thanks for the details.

  I know [at least in the US] that Paypal tries to hide the "checkout
w/o a PayPal" link; so I'm not surprised they push other countries to
also have a PayPal account.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
203-379-0773

log air crashes on android

Frank Dahmen
is there a way to log kind of a "crash-report" (stack trace) in air
mobile on android when running in live/release mode (not connected via
usb etc.)?

Re: log air crashes on android

OmPrakash Muppirala
Have you looked at TestFairy?  http://testfairy.com/adobe-air

You get a lot of analytics and I think you can do custom logging as well.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Frank Dahmen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> is there a way to log kind of a "crash-report" (stack trace) in air mobile
> on android when running in live/release mode (not connected via usb etc.)?

Re: log air crashes on android

Frank Dahmen
thanks very much

but isn't there a way to do it on my own?
is air logging crashes somewhere?

Am 14.01.2017 um 08:19 schrieb OmPrakash Muppirala:

> Have you looked at TestFairy?  http://testfairy.com/adobe-air
>
> You get a lot of analytics and I think you can do custom logging as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Frank Dahmen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> is there a way to log kind of a "crash-report" (stack trace) in air mobile
>> on android when running in live/release mode (not connected via usb etc.)?

Re: log air crashes on android

Alex Harui

On 1/13/17, 10:13 PM, "Frank Dahmen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>is there a way to log kind of a "crash-report" (stack trace) in air
>mobile on android when running in live/release mode (not connected via
>usb etc.)?

Are you referring to using UncaughtError* to grab a stack trace and then
finding a way to transmit it somewhere?

Re: log air crashes on android

Frank Dahmen
I tried using UncaughtError but I think this won't work when the app
crashes? I tried it with writing to a Bytearray in a while(true) - loop
and as expected the Error catching didn't work
I thought of making an ANE but dont know if/how AIR would report
errors/crashes to android.

Am 15.01.2017 um 07:29 schrieb Alex Harui:

> On 1/13/17, 10:13 PM, "Frank Dahmen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> is there a way to log kind of a "crash-report" (stack trace) in air
>> mobile on android when running in live/release mode (not connected via
>> usb etc.)?
>>
> Are you referring to using UncaughtError* to grab a stack trace and then
> finding a way to transmit it somewhere?
>
> -Alex

Re: log air crashes on android

clintm