[FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

12

[FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

piotrz
Hi All,

Erik on dev [1] list came up wit interesting question. I'm posting it also
here:

With the upcoming fork and renewed focus and most likely some publicity, I
want to ask the community to answer this question:

Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?

I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we are in
a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and it gives
the marketing folks something to work with.

[1]
http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Berty Tonta (Leadstalk)
I like this question. We must get this right, guys.

As a marketing guy, turned developer (sort of), it's critical to rightly
position FlexJS in front of the competition and the (unfortunate) legacy of
flash.

To be frank, I have not used FlexJS so far, but I'm a convinced believer in
its potential. So here are some keywords I can think of:

"Robust"
"Flexible"
"Open"
"Dynamic community"
"Committed community"
"The right way"
"Embraces modern platforms"
"HTML"
"Powerful"
"Built on technology that empowered the web several years back - empowered
by the community to drive the future"

my humble 2cents...

Berty Tonta

LEADSTALK - 4 BENGALI STREET, BEAU BASSIN, MAURITIUS
TEL  +230 57 43 81 34 - [hidden email] - LEADSTALK.PRO

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Piotr Zarzycki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Erik on dev [1] list came up wit interesting question. I'm posting it also
> here:
>

> With the upcoming fork and renewed focus and most likely some publicity, I
> want to ask the community to answer this question:
>
> Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
> with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?
>
> I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we are in
> a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and it gives
> the marketing folks something to work with.
>

> [1]
> http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-
> should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html
>
> Thanks,
> Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Harbs
Thanks for the the response. This is good stuff!

We could use all the help we can to get this right! :-)

Harbs

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 7:12 PM, Berty Tonta (Leadstalk) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I like this question. We must get this right, guys.
>
> As a marketing guy, turned developer (sort of), it's critical to rightly
> position FlexJS in front of the competition and the (unfortunate) legacy of
> flash.
>
> To be frank, I have not used FlexJS so far, but I'm a convinced believer in
> its potential. So here are some keywords I can think of:
>
> "Robust"
> "Flexible"
> "Open"
> "Dynamic community"
> "Committed community"
> "The right way"
> "Embraces modern platforms"
> "HTML"
> "Powerful"
> "Built on technology that empowered the web several years back - empowered
> by the community to drive the future"
>
> my humble 2cents...
>

> Berty Tonta

> LEADSTALK - 4 BENGALI STREET, BEAU BASSIN, MAURITIUS
> TEL  +230 57 43 81 34 - [hidden email] - LEADSTALK.PRO
>
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Piotr Zarzycki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Erik on dev [1] list came up wit interesting question. I'm posting it also
>> here:
>>

>> With the upcoming fork and renewed focus and most likely some publicity, I
>> want to ask the community to answer this question:
>>
>> Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
>> with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?
>>
>> I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we are in
>> a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and it gives
>> the marketing folks something to work with.
>>

>> [1]
>> http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-
>> should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Peter Ent-2
I think you also need to include folks who would choose to use React over
TypeScript/Angular and other things. React seems very popular to me and
offers a similar experience to Flex in that you have class files that
combine presentation and code (like MXML) or just plain code. Plus it is a
gateway to React/Native. I think from the technology point of view, this
is a big competitor.

‹peter

On 9/14/17, 9:38 AM, "Piotr Zarzycki" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Erik on dev [1] list came up wit interesting question. I'm posting it also
>here:
>

>With the upcoming fork and renewed focus and most likely some publicity, I
>want to ask the community to answer this question:
>
>Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
>with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?
>
>I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we are in
>a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and it gives
>the marketing folks something to work with.
>

>[1]
>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fle
>x-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com%2FFLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-de
>v-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cecab775e076045860df708d4fb7
>5d709%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636409930918412857&sdat
>a=41u1L20hGG7t2r3g3vnepAvG37RZtAv1a9t2Y7G5w%2FE%3D&reserved=0
>
>Thanks,
>Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

gkk gb
In addition to...

"Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?"

it may also be useful to think of the end customer. That is,

"Why should a company prefer their app to be written in FlexJS rather than ..."

The company will need to support their app throughout its lifecycle by hiring developers, etc, which, the further you go from mainstream technologies, is harder to justify. There should be some compelling business reason(s) to do so (faster development, etc.).

>     On September 14, 2017 at 6:38 AM Piotr Zarzycki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     Erik on dev [1] list came up wit interesting question. I'm posting it also
>     here:
>
>     With the upcoming fork and renewed focus and most likely some publicity, I
>     want to ask the community to answer this question:
>
>     Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
>     with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?
>
>     I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we are in
>     a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and it gives
>     the marketing folks something to work with.
>
>     [1]
>     http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html
>
>     Thanks,
>     Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Berty Tonta (Leadstalk)
If it has not been done yet, and from a marketing perspective, would a SWOT
help?

The point of the SWOT (example below) would be to look at the reality and
then identify those engaging arguments to (1) answer weaknesses and threats
and (2) leverage on Strength and opportunities.

We could then select the 3 - 4 key arguments that really makes FlexJS stand
out.

STRENGTH

   - Robust AS3 foundations
   - Multiplatform
   - Open Source
   - Security???? (I'm not a developer and need you to confirm)
   - ...

WEAKNESSES

   - Association with Flash
   - Abandoned by Adobe???
   -

OPPORTUNITIES

   - AS3/Flex a more robust/structured development platform
   - A potential enterprise class solution
   - Rebirth into an open source platform
   - Powered by the community

THREATS

   - Other "native" JS platforms
   - Potential to be rejected by pure JS/HTML5 developers
   - Perception of poor security....Flash legacy

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:38 PM, gkk gb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to...
>

> "Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not go
> with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?"
>

> it may also be useful to think of the end customer. That is,
>

> "Why should a company prefer their app to be written in FlexJS rather than
> ..."
>

> The company will need to support their app throughout its lifecycle by
> hiring developers, etc, which, the further you go from mainstream
> technologies, is harder to justify. There should be some compelling
> business reason(s) to do so (faster development, etc.).
>

> >     On September 14, 2017 at 6:38 AM Piotr Zarzycki <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi All,
> >
> >     Erik on dev [1] list came up wit interesting question. I'm posting
> it also
> >     here:
> >
> >     With the upcoming fork and renewed focus and most likely some
> publicity, I
> >     want to ask the community to answer this question:
> >
> >     Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and not
> go
> >     with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?
> >
> >     I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we
> are in
> >     a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and it
> gives
> >     the marketing folks something to work with.
> >
> >     [1]
> >     http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.
> com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html
> >
> >     Thanks,
> >     Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Alex Harui-2
Hi Berty,

Thanks for that analysis.  I will try to make sure others have seen this.

-Alex

On 9/14/17, 9:46 PM, "Berty Tonta (Leadstalk)" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> >     I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way,
>>we
>> are in
>> >     a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and
>>it
>> gives
>> >     the marketing folks something to work with.
>> >
>> >     [1]
>> >
>>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fl
>>ex-development.2333347.n4.nabble&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf6e78ad817e14216650308
>>d4fbff5317%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C63641052141052364
>>9&sdata=IVc0uuvzVjWhJZbIsmRfIVlRV9SSqoAvP%2BJPRIHwXnw%3D&reserved=0.
>> com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html
>> >
>> >     Thanks,
>> >     Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Carlos Rovira
Hi Berty,

very interesting thoughts to think about.

Thanks for sharing!

--

<http://www.codeoscopic.com>

Carlos Rovira

Director General

M: +34 607 22 60 05

http://www.codeoscopic.com

http://www.avant2.es

Conocenos en 1 minuto! <https://youtu.be/P2IEAYDG5HU>

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Adam Malejko
More strengths to add:
- AMF support getting better
- RemoteObject support!
- Less to re-write when porting Flex apps
- Can use other JS components (with caveats, unfortunately)
- Type-checking, SWF output and validation
- Works in several IDE's

A few weaknesses to add:
- It's not done yet. The components we use from Flex are not all done in
FlexJS yet.
- No commercial support if you want it (but the Apache support is
wonderful!)
- Lack of documentation
- Smaller community than some of the bigger JS frameworks

I like the Opportunities listed, and the Threats I agree with.

Yes, we could volunteer to contribute; or we could switch to React,
Angular, ExtJS, or something else.. we're on the fence and looking in to
all of our options, of which there are many these days.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Berty Tonta (Leadstalk) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > publicity, I
> > >     want to ask the community to answer this question:
> > >
> > >     Why should a web dev choose FlexJS to write JS applications, and
> not
> > go
> > >     with a more mainstream option like e.g. TypeScript/Angular?
> > >
> > >     I think that if we can answer that question in a compelling way, we
> > are in
> > >     a good place as a project (from a code perspective, at least) and
> it
> > gives
> > >     the marketing folks something to work with.
> > >
> > >     [1]
> > >     http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.
> > com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html
> > >
> > >     Thanks,
> > >     Piotr

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Hi Adam,

What components are you looking for that haven't been done yet?

Again, the supposed advantage of contributing is that you get control over
your destiny.  If there is a bug in the framework that is high priority
for you and you have earned committer status by contributing in the past,
you can just commit the change.

On 9/15/17, 12:22 PM, "Adam Malejko" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > business reason(s) to do so (faster development, etc.).

>>posting
>> > it also

>> > publicity, I

>> not
>> > go

>>way, we
>> > are in
>>and
>> it
>> > gives

>>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fl
>>ex-development.2333347.n4.nabble&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cdab072253c474bc9c0dc08
>>d4fc6f3d48%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C63641100209603241
>>9&sdata=Z5wdmDlGuaDWy96FIy0Q4UaBCfOWAMctoTgATFbHIaY%3D&reserved=0.
>> > com/FLEXJS-Marketing-why-should-a-web-dev-choose-FlexJS-td64292.html

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

0xC3
Hi, I haven't posted before (more of a lurker) however I am a log time user
of Flex and I may be slightly off topic here, but I think it applies
(specifically to the idea of forking).
   Here we make hardware and needed some way to display the information, we
started using Flash around 2004, because it was a quick way to develop a
display to view the information to multiple concurrent users without much
fuss. Around 2007 we started transitioning some of our controls to Flex
because MXML/AS was a better model for us then Flash, now everything we have
is Flex based. Last year we decided to transition to AIR for 4 reasons:

1. We needed to have more of a mobile presence.
3. We could use the existing codebase to accomplish #1, while still using it
on our core area, the Desktop
4. If we needed/wanted to go back or add browser based stuff we could use
FlexJS to help with that.

  With the idea of forking it feels like the output is taking precedence
over the language, i.e. the transpiled JS is more important than the
compiler. To me the best feature of Flex was that I did not have to worry
about how to get somewhere.

  As to the original question, I feel the strongest point of FlexJS is the
freedom to not care about JS.

Probably not the best for marketing.

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Adam Malejko
I have another developer going through our apps and identifying components
that are potential issues going forward.

So far they have only found a few third-party components - so, not a fault
of FlexJS really.

The datagrid is a little lacking as well; we have been spoiled with the
Flexicious one, and they have gone with a new React one... can we use that
in FlexJS? Haven't tried yet.

Giving the 'freedom to not care about JS' should have been Flex's motto in
the beginning! Now FlexJS has to care about it, as that's the end result..

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >>    - Perception of poor security....Flash legacy
> >>

> >> Berty Tonta

> >> ________________
> >>

> >> LEADSTALK - 4 BENGALI STREET, BEAU BASSIN, MAURITIUS
> >> TEL  +230 57 43 81 34 - [hidden email] - LEADSTALK.PRO

> >>go

> >> than

> >>posting

> >> not

> >>way, we
> >>and
> >> it

> >>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=
> http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fl
> >>ex-development.2333347.n4.nabble&data=02%7C01%7C%
> 7Cdab072253c474bc9c0dc08
> >>d4fc6f3d48%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%
> 7C63641100209603241
> >>9&sdata=Z5wdmDlGuaDWy96FIy0Q4UaBCfOWAMctoTgATFbHIaY%3D&reserved=0.

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Thanks for your history and thoughts.

I think we agree that FlexJS or whatever we call it is trying to hide the
bad parts of JS and improve developer productivity by letting you use
declarative and structured languages from a single provider.

I may have misunderstood your point about the output taking precedence
over the language, but for sure we do have to spend quite a bit of energy
worrying about the output because we don't have Flash to hide the browser
differences.

Anyway, sorry to keep repeating myself, but the main reason for even our
lurkers to get more involved is to help control your destiny as well.  If
you are happy with AIR and still using Apache Flex but run into a bug, you
can more directly get it fixed.  If you want to make sure FlexJS support
for AIR is sufficient for you to write new AIR apps in FlexJS so you can
more easily target something else someday, you can help make that happen
as well.

Thanks for speaking up.  We'd like to hear from other lurkers as well.

-Alex

On 9/15/17, 12:33 PM, "0xC3" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi, I haven't posted before (more of a lurker) however I am a log time
>user
>of Flex and I may be slightly off topic here, but I think it applies
>(specifically to the idea of forking).
>   Here we make hardware and needed some way to display the information,
>we
>started using Flash around 2004, because it was a quick way to develop a
>display to view the information to multiple concurrent users without much
>fuss. Around 2007 we started transitioning some of our controls to Flex
>because MXML/AS was a better model for us then Flash, now everything we
>have
>is Flex based. Last year we decided to transition to AIR for 4 reasons:
>
>1. We needed to have more of a mobile presence.
>3. We could use the existing codebase to accomplish #1, while still using
>it
>on our core area, the Desktop
>4. If we needed/wanted to go back or add browser based stuff we could use
>FlexJS to help with that.
>
>  With the idea of forking it feels like the output is taking precedence
>over the language, i.e. the transpiled JS is more important than the
>compiler. To me the best feature of Flex was that I did not have to worry
>about how to get somewhere.
>
>  As to the original question, I feel the strongest point of FlexJS is the
>freedom to not care about JS.
>
>Probably not the best for marketing.
>

>--
>Sent from:
>https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fle
>x-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C83d1d2b8aff644a22b1a08d
>4fc70a53f%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636411008121678901&
>sdata=LkBmCrM%2F4ItcfMVXPtBehrW0ZzreCDyKI8%2FX3PEBGfM%3D&reserved=0

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Hi Adam,

If using a React-based DataGrid is important to you, and that will get you
involved as a contributor, we can try to help you make that happen.

Let us know,
-Alex

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Adam Malejko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have another developer going through our apps and identifying components
> that are potential issues going forward.
>
> So far they have only found a few third-party components - so, not a fault
> of FlexJS really.
>
> The datagrid is a little lacking as well; we have been spoiled with the
> Flexicious one, and they have gone with a new React one... can we use that
> in FlexJS? Haven't tried yet.

Have you looked at the MDTable? http://s.apache.org/MDLExample
That is a good starting point to add more features.

> Giving the 'freedom to not care about JS' should have been Flex's motto in
> the beginning! Now FlexJS has to care about it, as that's the end result..
>
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Adam,
> >
> > What components are you looking for that haven't been done yet?
> >
> > Again, the supposed advantage of contributing is that you get control
> over
> > your destiny.  If there is a bug in the framework that is high priority
> > for you and you have earned committer status by contributing in the past,
> > you can just commit the change.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Alex
> >
> > On 9/15/17, 12:22 PM, "Adam Malejko" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > >More strengths to add:
> > >- AMF support getting better
> > >- RemoteObject support!
> > >- Less to re-write when porting Flex apps
> > >- Can use other JS components (with caveats, unfortunately)
> > >- Type-checking, SWF output and validation
> > >- Works in several IDE's
> > >
> > >A few weaknesses to add:
> > >- It's not done yet. The components we use from Flex are not all done in
> > >FlexJS yet.
> > >- No commercial support if you want it (but the Apache support is
> > >wonderful!)
> > >- Lack of documentation
> > >- Smaller community than some of the bigger JS frameworks
> > >
> > >I like the Opportunities listed, and the Threats I agree with.
> > >
> > >Yes, we could volunteer to contribute; or we could switch to React,
> > >Angular, ExtJS, or something else.. we're on the fence and looking in to
> > >all of our options, of which there are many these days.

> not

> rather

> by

> and

> > http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fl
> > 7Cdab072253c474bc9c0dc08
> > 7C63641100209603241
> FlexJS-td64292.html

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Adam Malejko
I have looked at the MDL Table, and it's going to work for most of the
use-cases, for sure. The MDL components [1] went a long way to showing me
what could be done in FlexJS.

Using a React-based DataGrid isn't important, the important part is having
an awesome datagrid to display and manipulate data. I believe it's possible
in FlexJS now, but I haven't seen any awesome ones yet.

Looking back (a decade..), the third party components for Flex was a big
part of what attracted us. You could seemingly do anything, and if not, it
wasn't hard to expand upon an existing component, and you didn't have to
worry about browser compatabilities at all! It was awesome. Now? Well,
we're looking at all the options. The biggest thing we will have to say
goodbye to is LCDS at this point. DataServices was fun...

While I'm at it - does anyone know of any good Calendar components that
FlexJS could use? We've been using the KC-Calendar in a couple of projects
for a while now, and I am not looking forward to replacing that either..

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Table+Of+Components

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:03 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Adam Malejko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have another developer going through our apps and identifying
> components
> > that are potential issues going forward.
> >
> > So far they have only found a few third-party components - so, not a
> fault
> > of FlexJS really.
> >
> > The datagrid is a little lacking as well; we have been spoiled with the
> > Flexicious one, and they have gone with a new React one... can we use
> that
> > in FlexJS? Haven't tried yet.
> >

> Have you looked at the MDTable? http://s.apache.org/MDLExample
> That is a good starting point to add more features.
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>

> > Giving the 'freedom to not care about JS' should have been Flex's motto
> in
> > the beginning! Now FlexJS has to care about it, as that's the end
> result..
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Alex Harui <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Adam,
> > >
> > > What components are you looking for that haven't been done yet?
> > >
> > > Again, the supposed advantage of contributing is that you get control
> > over
> > > your destiny.  If there is a bug in the framework that is high priority
> > > for you and you have earned committer status by contributing in the
> past,
> > > you can just commit the change.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Alex

> in

> would a

> reality

> FlexJS

> > not

> > rather

> lifecycle
> > by
> compelling

> some

> > and

> least)

> > > http%3A%2F%2Fapache-fl
> > > 7Cdab072253c474bc9c0dc08
> > > 7C63641100209603241
> > FlexJS-td64292.html

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Alex Harui-2
We are building our own versions of Charts and DataGrids and DatePickers.
But how robust they will be depends on customer input.  This project
doesn't currently have enough people power to try to match the feature set
of popular JS components and I'm not even clear we want to.  We should
probably try to make it simple to drop in a third-party component and/or
component set.  We've got a set for MDL and partial sets for CreateJS and
Jquery.

At least for Jquery, we are really wrapping JQueryUI.  Jquery is its own
programming environment based on queries, AIUI.  Peter Ent did play with
ReactJS over a year ago [1] and concluded it is its own programming
environment with JSX.  But it may be possible to wrap their UI controls
like their DataGrid.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/32497faf105a4eeac28d082159b232e514f60e
eedd033157b46e8d3c@%3Cdev.flex.apache.org%3E

On 9/15/17, 2:18 PM, "Adam Malejko" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>done
>> in

>>in

>> would a

>> reality
>>and

>> FlexJS

>>and
>> > not

>> > rather

>> lifecycle
>> > by
>>mainstream
>> compelling

>>I'm

>> some

>>applications,
>> > and
>>TypeScript/Angular?

>>compelling
>> least)

>> > FlexJS-td64292.html

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

I forgot to mention why we are building our own components.  One is to see
how small we can get, but the other is to have pieces around to use to
mock or replicate one platform's controls on another platform.  For
example, you can't currently use the MDL components in a SWF, but you can
use Jquery Button in an app that has both SWF and JS output since we've
roughly emulated Jquery's Button in SWF by assembling the right beads.  We
could assemble the right beads for MDL components in SWF if we wanted to.
And if we do get around to targeting another runtime, we should be able to
reuse a lot of this code.

On 9/15/17, 2:42 PM, "Alex Harui" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>control
>>>priority
>>> past,

>>>done
>>> in

>>>React,
>>>in

>>> would a

>>> reality
>>>and

>>> FlexJS

>>>LEADSTALK.PRO

>>>and

>>> lifecycle
>>>mainstream
>>> compelling

>>>I'm

>>> some

>>>applications,
>>>TypeScript/Angular?

>>>compelling
>>> least)

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

To everybody we really do appreciate the hard work and accomplishments made
by all involved. I really hope I did not come off negative, I wanted to
point to the amazing ability of knowing I could output to JS without having
to know it, provided by everybody's hard work.

Of course you would need to focus on the output product of the compiler
that's totally understandable. I was just trying to make a point that I feel
Apache Flex, of which FlexJS is a part of, is larger than JS by way of
enabling other targets if needed/wanted. Honestly FlexJS was one of the
reasons we decided to stick with Flex vs other options.

So, I guess my marketing point would be that FlexJS is not another JS
framework, it's a good structured language that happens to compile to JS
(among other thing).

I apologize if I am missing the mark on FlexJS, full disclosure I haven't
made anything with it yet I am only going by what I have read on the
progress.

Re: [FLEXJS][Marketing] why should a web dev choose FlexJS?

Adam Malejko
.. understood. This is still why I have FlexJS listed as incomplete with
missing components. It's in Beta, and Adobe (your employer no less; I bet
those conversations are fun at your office!) kind of dropped the ball on
Flash Player  before FlexJS was ready. But do they care? No, they have
their own HTML5 output and stuff now, and I'm not buying into it. What I
would have loved would have been Flex 5, outputting to JS and SWF's! I
don't really care 'how small' a lot of the components are now. Look where
Adobe went with their Spark stuff on mobile? "So small, efficient and tiny
for all the mobile phones!" .. and then everyone got a gig or more of RAM
in their phone.. But now I'm getting off topic on a Friday afternoon. None
of this is a slight to any of the devs; it's just where things are right
now, for various reasons.

I really want to go with FlexJS, but at this point ExtJS is looking more
appealing (other than the cost of course) with their AMF support and their
component set. Maybe FlexJS will just have to be for my personal projects..

12