DropDown List Sensitivity

bilbosax
On a mobile AIR app I have created, the dropdown lists that I use are crazy
sensitive, especially on iOS.  When I scroll a list, 90% of the time, when I
lift my finger while scrolling, it selects whatever my finger was on when
the scrolling began.  This makes it almost unuseable and very distracting as
the lists is closing all the time.  Am I perhaps using the wrong skin for a
mobile device?  Has anyone else run into this sensitivity  issue?

Thx!

Re: DropDown List Sensitivity

bilbosax
After experimenting, I have found that the flatspark DropDownListSkin works
FAR better than the default spark skin functionally, but I can't get it to
look even remotely the way that I need.  The color is wrong and can only be
set to a few defaults, the text is teeny tiny and does not respond to
fontSize CSS rules.

In a little more detail, if I just flick the dropdownlist up or down, it
scrolls fine and does not automatically select anything.  But if I touch the
list and slowly scroll my finger up or down and then lift my finger off of
the list, it automatically selects where my finger last touched and closes.

Surely someone else has used a dropdownlist on a mobile device.  How did you
handle this??

Re: DropDown List Sensitivity

Jeffry Houser

  It has been a while, but you may look into the one I built for Flextras:

https://www.flextras.com/?event=ProductHome&productID=21

  Now with even more open source:
https://github.com/Flextras/FlextrasComponents/tree/master/mobileComponents

On 3/31/2018 1:18 AM, bilbosax wrote:

> After experimenting, I have found that the flatspark DropDownListSkin works
> FAR better than the default spark skin functionally, but I can't get it to
> look even remotely the way that I need.  The color is wrong and can only be
> set to a few defaults, the text is teeny tiny and does not respond to
> fontSize CSS rules.
>
> In a little more detail, if I just flick the dropdownlist up or down, it
> scrolls fine and does not automatically select anything.  But if I touch the
> list and slowly scroll my finger up or down and then lift my finger off of
> the list, it automatically selects where my finger last touched and closes.
>
> Surely someone else has used a dropdownlist on a mobile device.  How did you
> handle this??

Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
http://www.jeffryhouser.com
203-379-0773

Re: DropDown List Sensitivity

bilbosax
I will look into this and report back to you Jeffry.  Thanks for the
suggestion.  I wish I knew if the problem was in the dropdownlist component,
or in the skin that Flex provides. I almost think it is the skin because the
flatspark skin does not have this problem.  On another forum, someone
suggested that I turn off a listener while the component was scrolling so
that the list can't be selected until after the the mouseup event fires.
This sounded like a brilliant idea.  Sadly, I am very weak at extending and
modifying and overriding in custom components :(