Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

123

Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

I just would like to revive the idea of donating Rui Cruz spark material lib [1] to Apache Flex.
This is the origin thread [2].

Maybe we could achive this within the 4.16.0 release, that would be great.
I've already contact Rui and he said that he's fine with it.

I think we have to clean up the repo [1] a bit but If I unserstand it right we just have to add the Apache licence header to each file and could push it to the Flex repo, is that right?

Are there any concerns?

[1] https://github.com/rui-cruz/Spark-Material
[2] http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=reply&node=12347

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

> Are there any concerns?

Yes one very large one [1], the GPL license is not compatible with Apache [2].

But if Rui Cruz was willing to donate it under another (compatible) license that is likely to be fine.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/rui-cruz/Spark-Material/blob/master/LICENSE
2.https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Olaf Krueger
jmclean wrote
Yes one very large one [1], the GPL license is not compatible with Apache [2].
But if Rui Cruz was willing to donate it under another (compatible) license that is likely to be fine.
Thanks Justin.
Hopefully the license could be changed to MIT.
Do you know the key difference between GPL and MIT?

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Alex Harui

On 11/3/16, 7:56 AM, "OK" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>jmclean wrote
>> Yes one very large one [1], the GPL license is not compatible with
>>Apache
>> [2].
>> But if Rui Cruz was willing to donate it under another (compatible)
>> license that is likely to be fine.
>
>Thanks Justin.
>Hopefully the license could be changed to MIT.
>Do you know the key difference between GPL and MIT?

GPL just isn't as permissive as MIT and Apache (and BSD).

We would also need Rui to send an email to dev@ or give you permission to
forward an email to dev@ so we have his permission to have his code in our
repo in our official records.  If there is a lot of files, we might want
an official Software Grant document.  It also matters whether Rui plans to
do more development on the code outside of Apache.  Code bases really
imply communities and we don't want to fork a community or a code base.
Either the active community should move to Apache, or we should just
download Spark Material in our builds and installer and keep it
third-party.

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

jmclean
Administrator

> Do you know the key difference between GPL and MIT?

This probably explains it better than I can [1][2][3]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://choosealicense.com
2. https://tldrlegal.com/license/apache-license-2.0-(apache-2.0)
3. https://tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-general-public-license-v3-(gpl-3)

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Olaf Krueger
Thank you Justin!

Reading Alex hints I'm not sure what would be the right way:
Keeping the material lib external or as part of Apache Flex.
Probably both have benefits and also drawbacks.

What do others think?
Is anyone interested in a Material Design component set that is shipped with the SDK?

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Benjamin Povirk
would be nice to have material set in the SDK

> On 4 Nov 2016, at 09:56, OK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Justin!
>
> Reading Alex hints I'm not sure what would be the right way:
> Keeping the material lib external or as part of Apache Flex.
> Probably both have benefits and also drawbacks.
>
> What do others think?
> Is anyone interested in a Material Design component set that is shipped with
> the SDK?
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf

SAMO NASLOVNIKU! / ONLY FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT! Opozorilo: Ta elektronska pošta vsebuje informacije, ki so lahko zaupne narave in so namenjene samo naslovniku. Če je bilo zaradi napake v naslovu ali pri prenosu sporočilo poslano drugam, prosimo, da o tem obvestite njegovega avtorja. Če sporočilo ni bilo namenjeno vam, ne smete uporabljati, razkriti, širiti, kopirati, tiskati ali kakorkoli uporabiti informacije v sporočilu. Disclaimer: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Kessler CTR Mark J
Fantastic links btw.

-Mark

On 11/4/16, 1:56 AM, "OK" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thank you Justin!
>
>Reading Alex hints I'm not sure what would be the right way:
>Keeping the material lib external or as part of Apache Flex.
>Probably both have benefits and also drawbacks.
>
>What do others think?
>Is anyone interested in a Material Design component set that is shipped
>with
>the SDK?

It is really up to Rui to decide where future development should be and
under what license.  Once that's decided, we can look into our options.

From a "bundling" stand point, it is probably possible for the Installer
to offer download of Rui's code even if it remains under GPL since it
would be an optional component.  So how we present it to our users can be
different from how it is being developed.

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Olaf Krueger
Alex Harui wrote
It is really up to Rui to decide where future development should be and
under what license.  Once that's decided, we can look into our options.
Yes of course, I would just get an idea of what others think.
I contacted Rui again, maybe he'll join the discssion here.

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Rui Cruz
Hi there,

I have no problem on changing the license.

It would be great if more people contribute with the missing components. I already use this set of extended spark components on released apps that are used everyday by thousands of costumers (no complaints so far..) :)

Whatever you need, just ask.

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Alex Harui
Hi Rui,

That's great news.  Can you update the licensing in your GH repo to
reflect the change to Apache License 2.0.  Feel free to ask questions if
you have them.

I think after that, we need to verify that there isn't 3rd-party code in
your codebase, or at least identify what is 3rd party.

The next question for you is whether you want to truly donate this code to
Apache Flex.  If you do, then after we review and import the code into an
Apache repo, it would be recommended that you add some notification to
your repo that all future work is being done with at Apache.  If future
work is done at Apache, that will give you less control over what kinds of
changes are made to the code and the release process is a real process,
but on the other hand, your customers will know that your code has been
certified as ready to use in more ways than it is under GPL.  Commercial
developers can use it as well.

On 11/4/16, 12:42 PM, "Rui Cruz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have no problem on changing the license.
>
>It would be great if more people contribute with the missing components. I
>already use this set of extended spark components on released apps that
>are
>used everyday by thousands of costumers (no complaints so far..) :)
>
>Whatever you need, just ask.

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Rui Cruz
Hi Alex,

I've changed the LICENSE, pls check if its ok.

Regards

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

> I've changed the LICENSE, pls check if its ok.

Minor issues, you don’t have the full Apache license text [1] or a NOTICE file [2] and files don’t have an Apache license headers [3].

You might want actually want a NOTICE file as that means you get added to our NOTICE file. [4] But no big deal we can sort this out either way.

IMO the intent is clear, and the issues above can be fixed up as part of the contribution / donation.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt
2. https://www.apache.org/licenses/NOTICE-2.0.txt
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Rui Cruz
Hi Justin,

So if I understood that changes will be made later right? Or for easiest process and no mistakes, can someone make a pullrequest with the necessary changes?

Also, when I first mention donating, someone asked me some papers signed.. Aren't that need anymore?

Thanks,
Rui

> I've changed the LICENSE, pls check if its ok.

Minor issues, you don’t have the full Apache license text [1] or a NOTICE file [2] and files don’t have an Apache license headers [3].

You might want actually want a NOTICE file as that means you get added to our NOTICE file. [4] But no big deal we can sort this out either way.

IMO the intent is clear, and the issues above can be fixed up as part of the contribution / donation.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt
2. https://www.apache.org/licenses/NOTICE-2.0.txt
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep

To unsubscribe from Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design"), click here.
NAML

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

> So if I understood that changes will be made later right?

IMO intent is clear so we can sort out the details for you.

> Also, when I first mention donating, someone asked me some papers signed

It depends on the size of what donated, it’s would be best if you if you submitted an ICLA [1]. See also [3].

Your employer (if you have one) may want to submit a CCLA [2] but it’s not required.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
2. https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
3. http://apache.org/licenses/#clas

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Rui Cruz wrote
So if I understood that changes will be made later right? Or for easiest
process and no mistakes, can someone make a pullrequest with the necessary
changes?
@Rui
I would try to add the Apache license header to each particular file tonight, seems that's sort of a monkey work ;-)
If it's ok for you I'll just modify the master branch of your origin repo.

@Justin
I don't understand the NOTICE thing... what is the PRODUCT_NAME?
("Apache Flex", "Spark material", "Apache Flex Spark Material", ...)

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Olaf Krueger
@Justin
Do you think there's a chance to include "Spark-Material" with 4.16.0?

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Alex Harui
If Justin is ok with not using a Software Grant, that's fine with me.  So,
AIUI, the "paperwork" involved is:

1) send an email to dev@ (instead of users@) indicating your intent to
donate your code and give consent to allow other Apache Flex committers to
help you fix your file headers.
2) file an ICLA (and CCLA if needed).

On 11/9/16, 4:43 AM, "Justin Mclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> So if I understood that changes will be made later right?
>
>IMO intent is clear so we can sort out the details for you.
>
>> Also, when I first mention donating, someone asked me some papers signed
>
>It depends on the size of what donated, it’s would be best if you if you
>submitted an ICLA [1]. See also [3].
>
>Your employer (if you have one) may want to submit a CCLA [2] but it’s
>not required.
>
>Thanks,
>Justin
>
>1. https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
>2. https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
>3. http://apache.org/licenses/#clas

Re: Donating Spark-Material to Apache Flex (was "Spark components with Material Design")

Rui Cruz
I have one doubt, I will not make contributions on behalf the corporation that I'm working on (I'll make on my own).. But.. If the corporation let's me upgrade/change/use the code of my repo, that makes corporation code? case: I started this as a side-project, the company liked and I let the company use my code, in the meanwhile bug-fixes/new features were added while working and inside company.. so the code is "mine" or "not"?

I was signing the cla-corporate.txt and there is explicit that the company autorize me to donate in behalf of the company, but I'll make the donations on my own, so I'm confused and maybe CCLA[2] is not required indeed...

Thank you (this is giving too much work already... lol)