[Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

as soon I have time I'll try to make "Font Awesome 5" part of the SDK as its
own project.

For those who don't know how to use "Font Awesome 5" with Flex:
I've just created a little demo project and some explanation [1].

Hope this helps,
Olaf

[1] https://github.com/olafkrueger/FontAwesome5WithApacheFlex

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Olaf,
that sounds very cool! :)
congrats!

Carlos

PD: just check all the relevant things regarding license to ensure conforms
apache guidelines

> as soon I have time I'll try to make "Font Awesome 5" part of the SDK as
> its
> own project.
>
> For those who don't know how to use "Font Awesome 5" with Flex:
> I've just created a little demo project and some explanation [1].
>
> Hope this helps,
> Olaf
>

> [1] https://github.com/olafkrueger/FontAwesome5WithApacheFlex

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

Olaf Krueger
Thanks, Carlos.
Kudos should go to akamud, the original author of flatspark who has
introduced FontAwesome within Flex ;-)

>just check all the relevant things regarding license t
I already took a look at it and it seems to be ok for me.

@Justin
Maybe you are following this thread:
Because of you are more familiar with this license stuff... could you can
take a look at it [1]?
I would appreciate it!

[1] https://fontawesome.com/license

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

Harbs
The free version is MIT (with graphic files CC by 4) which I believe is the same as FontAwesome 4 was.

> On Feb 16, 2018, at 1:22 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Carlos.
> Kudos should go to akamud, the original author of flatspark who has
> introduced FontAwesome within Flex ;-)
>
>> just check all the relevant things regarding license t
> I already took a look at it and it seems to be ok for me.
>
> @Justin
> Maybe you are following this thread:
> Because of you are more familiar with this license stuff... could you can
> take a look at it [1]?
> I would appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
> [1] https://fontawesome.com/license

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

Harbs
Yes. Same license:
https://fontawesome.com/v4.7.0/license/ <https://fontawesome.com/v4.7.0/license/>

> On Feb 16, 2018, at 4:17 PM, Gabe Harbs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The free version is MIT (with graphic files CC by 4) which I believe is the same as FontAwesome 4 was.
>
>> On Feb 16, 2018, at 1:22 PM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Carlos.
>> Kudos should go to akamud, the original author of flatspark who has
>> introduced FontAwesome within Flex ;-)
>>
>>> just check all the relevant things regarding license t
>> I already took a look at it and it seems to be ok for me.
>>
>> @Justin
>> Maybe you are following this thread:
>> Because of you are more familiar with this license stuff... could you can
>> take a look at it [1]?
>> I would appreciate it!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Olaf
>>
>> [1] https://fontawesome.com/license
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

Olaf Krueger
Sounds good! Thanks, Harbs!

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

OmPrakash Muppirala
If I understand how we implement FontAwesome, we are relying on the font
files and neither the graphics nor the JS code.  The font files are
licensed as: SIL OFL 1.1 License [1][2]

As per [3], SIL OFL is a category-b license.  We are allowed to use it,
please make sure you read that paragraph in [3] and follow those
instructions.

[1] https://fontawesome.com/license
[2] https://opensource.org/licenses/OFL-1.1
[3] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Olaf Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds good! Thanks, Harbs!

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

jmclean
Administrator
Hi,

As Om said it going to depend on what parts of the free version you're intending to bundled with Flex to how the differing licenses need to be handled. There may also be trademark requirements around the brand icons and it may be better to not include them?

The Pro version couldn't be bundled as it's not free and places restrictions on distribution.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

hugo
This is a very nice addition.
I use heavly flatspark + Font Awesome on my Flex App with more than 500
views.

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

Thanks Om and Justin,

after thinking about it a bit more and reading the license links I am not
sure if it is really a good idea to include FontAwesome5 by default within
the Flex SDK:

- We increase the SDK size which is probably not the interest of all users
- We maybe ran into license issues
- We only can ship the free version of FontAwesome5
- The usage of brand ions is unclear
- The usage of FontAwesome5 with Flex is pretty simple, even if it's not
part of the SDK

If we still want to include it (in that way that we store the .*otf font
files in our repo) I think we are save regarding license issues when we just
add a Readme to the project.
Flatspark just includes the SIL [1]. I am not sure if this is enough.

What do you think?

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/master/frameworks/projects/flatspark/src/flatspark/assets/fonts/awesome/OFL.txt

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

piotrz
Hi Olaf,

Maybe we should put your example as part of Flex Utilities with proper
instruction. [1] Add there only those parts of Fontawesome where we don't
have license issue. - This will just show that users can use it.

[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities

Thanks, Piotr

> Thanks Om and Justin,
>
> after thinking about it a bit more and reading the license links I am not
> sure if it is really a good idea to include FontAwesome5 by default within
> the Flex SDK:
>
> - We increase the SDK size which is probably not the interest of all users
> - We maybe ran into license issues
> - We only can ship the free version of FontAwesome5
> - The usage of brand ions is unclear
> - The usage of FontAwesome5 with Flex is pretty simple, even if it's not
> part of the SDK
>
> If we still want to include it (in that way that we store the .*otf font
> files in our repo) I think we are save regarding license issues when we
> just
> add a Readme to the project.
> Flatspark just includes the SIL [1]. I am not sure if this is enough.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
> Olaf
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/master/
> frameworks/projects/flatspark/src/flatspark/assets/fonts/awesome/OFL.txt

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: [Demo] Font Awesome 5 with Apache Flex

Olaf Krueger
Hi Piotr,

>Maybe we should put your example as part of Flex Utilities

This sounds like a reasonable compromise to me, thanks for this hint.
I'll try to put it there if there will be no objections.