Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

Erik J. Thomas
Hey all:

I need to be able to do various deep linking between mobile apps and my Flex app. I've learned to do this for twitter and linked in profiles pretty simply:

var u:URLRequest = new URLRequest(data.twitterProfileUrl);
navigateToURL(u, "_blank");

If the twitter app is installed on the phone (at least iOS), this will launch the app. If the app is not available, it will open the browser and nav to the profile. Very cool stuff. Works for google maps too, when the user taps an address.

But I need to do the following additional linking and don't know how to format the URLs to make it happen:

User taps a phone number, dials the phone if the device is a phone.
User taps an email address, and it launches their mail program to send mail. Just need the syntax for subject, content, additional addresses, etc.
User taps a date/time field, and it launches their mobile calendar app and offers to create a new item.

My guess is that this is all possible with Flex, but I'm not finding info on syntax and usage through Google searches. I found this list of device specific deep linking, but expect Flex has a platform agnostic URL format so we don't have to manage device/OS types in the flex app.

Just a link to the docs for this type of deep linking would be great. And in the Mobile native world deep linking is usually about linking mobile apps. In the Flex world the term "deep linking" is most often referring to browser history management which is NOT what I need.

Thanks!

Erik

Re: Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

Erik J. Thomas
Forgot to include the article on deep linking between native mobile apps:

>> "I found this list of device specific deep linking"

Seems that this must be possible from a Flex app without creating an ANE since linking to facebook linkedIn, twitter, and google maps all works great, but in each of these cases, I am passing a parameterized http URL to the web, and Flex/AIR appears smart enough to interpret those requests and if the related mobile app exists, it's launching that using device-specific deep linking syntax under the covers.

Erik

Erik Thomas
Chief Architect
Office: 541.247.2995 / Mobile: 303.304.1466

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

On May 15, 2017, at 8:51 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey all:

I need to be able to do various deep linking between mobile apps and my Flex app. I've learned to do this for twitter and linked in profiles pretty simply:

var u:URLRequest = new URLRequest(data.twitterProfileUrl);
navigateToURL(u, "_blank");

If the twitter app is installed on the phone (at least iOS), this will launch the app. If the app is not available, it will open the browser and nav to the profile. Very cool stuff. Works for google maps too, when the user taps an address.

But I need to do the following additional linking and don't know how to format the URLs to make it happen:

  1. User taps a phone number, dials the phone if the device is a phone.
  2. User taps an email address, and it launches their mail program to send mail. Just need the syntax for subject, content, additional addresses, etc.
  3. User taps a date/time field, and it launches their mobile calendar app and offers to create a new item.

My guess is that this is all possible with Flex, but I'm not finding info on syntax and usage through Google searches. I found this list of device specific deep linking, but expect Flex has a platform agnostic URL format so we don't have to manage device/OS types in the flex app.

Just a link to the docs for this type of deep linking would be great. And in the Mobile native world deep linking is usually about linking mobile apps. In the Flex world the term "deep linking" is most often referring to browser history management which is NOT what I need.

Thanks!

Erik

Re: Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

clintm
deep linking is the wrong term… I think you're looking for url schemes.

phone is navigateToURL("tel:+5555555555");
email is navigateToURL("mailto:[hidden email]");

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all:
>
> I need to be able to do various deep linking between mobile apps and my
> Flex app. I've learned to do this for twitter and linked in profiles pretty
> simply:
>
> var u:URLRequest = new URLRequest(data.twitterProfileUrl);
> navigateToURL(u, "_blank");
>
> If the twitter app is installed on the phone (at least iOS), this will
> launch the app. If the app is not available, it will open the browser and
> nav to the profile. Very cool stuff. Works for google maps too, when the
> user taps an address.
>
> But I need to do the following additional linking and don't know how to
> format the URLs to make it happen:
>
> User taps a phone number, dials the phone if the device is a phone.
> User taps an email address, and it launches their mail program to send
> mail. Just need the syntax for subject, content, additional addresses, etc.
> User taps a date/time field, and it launches their mobile calendar app and
> offers to create a new item.
>
> My guess is that this is all possible with Flex, but I'm not finding info
> on syntax and usage through Google searches. I found this list of device
> specific deep linking, but expect Flex has a platform agnostic URL format
> so we don't have to manage device/OS types in the flex app.
>
> Just a link to the docs for this type of deep linking would be great. And
> in the Mobile native world deep linking is usually about linking mobile
> apps. In the Flex world the term "deep linking" is most often referring to
> browser history management which is NOT what I need.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Erik

Re: Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

Erik J. Thomas
Ah, no wonder my searching didn't find what I was looking for. Thank you very much, Clint!

Erik

> On May 15, 2017, at 9:01 AM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> deep linking is the wrong term… I think you're looking for url schemes.
>
> phone is navigateToURL("tel:+5555555555");
> email is navigateToURL("mailto:[hidden email]");
>
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey all:
>>
>> I need to be able to do various deep linking between mobile apps and my
>> Flex app. I've learned to do this for twitter and linked in profiles pretty
>> simply:
>>
>> var u:URLRequest = new URLRequest(data.twitterProfileUrl);
>> navigateToURL(u, "_blank");
>>
>> If the twitter app is installed on the phone (at least iOS), this will
>> launch the app. If the app is not available, it will open the browser and
>> nav to the profile. Very cool stuff. Works for google maps too, when the
>> user taps an address.
>>
>> But I need to do the following additional linking and don't know how to
>> format the URLs to make it happen:
>>
>> User taps a phone number, dials the phone if the device is a phone.
>> User taps an email address, and it launches their mail program to send
>> mail. Just need the syntax for subject, content, additional addresses, etc.
>> User taps a date/time field, and it launches their mobile calendar app and
>> offers to create a new item.
>>
>> My guess is that this is all possible with Flex, but I'm not finding info
>> on syntax and usage through Google searches. I found this list of device
>> specific deep linking, but expect Flex has a platform agnostic URL format
>> so we don't have to manage device/OS types in the flex app.
>>
>> Just a link to the docs for this type of deep linking would be great. And
>> in the Mobile native world deep linking is usually about linking mobile
>> apps. In the Flex world the term "deep linking" is most often referring to
>> browser history management which is NOT what I need.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Erik

Re: Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

OmPrakash Muppirala
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/employee-directory-android-flex.html#articlecontentAdobe_numberedheader_5
has a few examples

case "tel": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("tel:"+action.details)); break;
case "sms": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("sms:"+action.details)); break;
case "mailto": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("mailto:"+action.details));
break;

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, no wonder my searching didn't find what I was looking for. Thank you
> very much, Clint!
>
> Erik
>
> > On May 15, 2017, at 9:01 AM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > deep linking is the wrong term… I think you're looking for url schemes.
> >
> > phone is navigateToURL("tel:+5555555555");
> > email is navigateToURL("mailto:[hidden email]");
> >
> > On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey all:
> >>
> >> I need to be able to do various deep linking between mobile apps and my
> >> Flex app. I've learned to do this for twitter and linked in profiles
> pretty
> >> simply:
> >>
> >> var u:URLRequest = new URLRequest(data.twitterProfileUrl);
> >> navigateToURL(u, "_blank");
> >>
> >> If the twitter app is installed on the phone (at least iOS), this will
> >> launch the app. If the app is not available, it will open the browser
> and
> >> nav to the profile. Very cool stuff. Works for google maps too, when the
> >> user taps an address.
> >>
> >> But I need to do the following additional linking and don't know how to
> >> format the URLs to make it happen:
> >>
> >> User taps a phone number, dials the phone if the device is a phone.
> >> User taps an email address, and it launches their mail program to send
> >> mail. Just need the syntax for subject, content, additional addresses,
> etc.
> >> User taps a date/time field, and it launches their mobile calendar app
> and
> >> offers to create a new item.
> >>
> >> My guess is that this is all possible with Flex, but I'm not finding
> info
> >> on syntax and usage through Google searches. I found this list of device
> >> specific deep linking, but expect Flex has a platform agnostic URL
> format
> >> so we don't have to manage device/OS types in the flex app.
> >>
> >> Just a link to the docs for this type of deep linking would be great.
> And
> >> in the Mobile native world deep linking is usually about linking mobile
> >> apps. In the Flex world the term "deep linking" is most often referring
> >> browser history management which is NOT what I need.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Erik

Re: Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

Erik Thomas
Do you know the one for calendar events?

> On May 15, 2017, at 11:10 AM, OmPrakash Muppirala <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/employee-directory-android-flex.html#articlecontentAdobe_numberedheader_5
> has a few examples
>
> case "tel": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("tel:"+action.details)); break;
> case "sms": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("sms:"+action.details)); break;
> case "mailto": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("mailto:"+action.details));
> break;
>
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ah, no wonder my searching didn't find what I was looking for. Thank you
>> very much, Clint!
>>
>> Erik
>>
>>> On May 15, 2017, at 9:01 AM, Clint M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> deep linking is the wrong term… I think you're looking for url schemes.
>>>
>>> phone is navigateToURL("tel:+5555555555");
>>> email is navigateToURL("mailto:[hidden email]");

>> pretty

>> and

>> etc.
>> and

>> info
>> format

>> And

Re: Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

clintm
iOS: http://stackoverflow.com/a/22451681/3384609
Android: http://stackoverflow.com/a/35917525/3384609

You might want to take a look at a native extension such as:
https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Calendar

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Erik Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you know the one for calendar events?
>
> > On May 15, 2017, at 11:10 AM, OmPrakash Muppirala <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/employee-
> directory-android-flex.html#articlecontentAdobe_numberedheader_5
> > has a few examples
> >
> > case "tel": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("tel:"+action.details)); break;
> > case "sms": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("sms:"+action.details)); break;
> > case "mailto": navigateToURL(new URLRequest("mailto:"+action.details));
> > break;
> >
> > On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Erik J. Thomas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Ah, no wonder my searching didn't find what I was looking for. Thank you
> >> very much, Clint!
> >>
> >> Erik

> my
> >> pretty

> >> and
> the

> >> etc.
> >> and

> >> info
> device
> >> format

> >> And
> mobile
> referring

Re: Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps

Erik J. Thomas
Thanks, Clint! Might be just the ticket. I want to be able to not just open the calendar to the intended date, but have it come up to the insert event dialog and prefill the title. This SDK/ANE may work well for that.

Erik