Connection to Google Calendar as a Proxy Scheduler

Connection to Google Calendar as a Proxy Scheduler

npem
I am trying to setup a Scheduler for a Mobile App that would notify the user if an
Item is past its usedby date.

I thought I might use Google Calendar to do this, as the app might not be running
when the date has passed.

I can’t find a way to access the local calendar on iOS and Android, hence my thinking
regarding the use of Google Calendar

I’m trying to use:
as3googlecalendarlib
(See https://sujitreddyg.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/as3-library-for-google-calendar-as3googlecalendarlib/)

And have used the sample code from the text near the bottom, which starts::
Tsu Says:August 16, 2010 at 1:54pm

However I get the messages:
INFORMATION : Sending authentication request

INFORMATION : Authentication request sent

INFORMATION : Server request to authentication invoked fault event. This can be because of authentication failure also

I know my username and password are correct as I logged out and then in with them.

Anyone any thoughts if they have used this library?
Or any other ideas on a scheduler for mobile?

BTW. I am using:
Flex SDK: 4.16.0
AIR SDK:  25.0.0

Thanks in advance,
Phil.

Re: Connection to Google Calendar as a Proxy Scheduler

Erik J. Thomas
Hey Phil:

I highly recommend using ANEs for native integration and to do the types of things you are doing. My experience with Google APIs, places, calendar were not that good either.

Here is an ANE you should consider. Sure it costs a little money, but only about the cost of a lunch for two per year:

https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Calendar <https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Calendar>

This ANE integrates with the native calendars and allows you to schedule events that will notify the user, etc. Seems it will do what you want.

Here is the full list of very well supported ANEs from the same company we use for our ANEs.

https://airnativeextensions.com/extensions <https://airnativeextensions.com/extensions>

They cost a little (actually quite inexpensive), but you get first-class support in docs, tutorials, forum, and tech support. We pay $10/year for the fingerprint manager/touch ID ANE and $35/year for all native dialogs, like busy, alert, choices, and we use the same license for multiple applications. Everything we've implemented with these ANEs has worked perfectly.

Cheers,

Erik

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 8:26 AM, npem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am trying to setup a Scheduler for a Mobile App that would notify the user
> if an
> Item is past its usedby date.
>
> I thought I might use Google Calendar to do this, as the app might not be
> running
> when the date has passed.
>
> I can’t find a way to access the local calendar on iOS and Android, hence my
> thinking
> regarding the use of Google Calendar
>
> I’m trying to use:
> *as3googlecalendarlib*
> (See
> *https://sujitreddyg.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/as3-library-for-google-calendar-as3googlecalendarlib/*)
>
> And have used the sample code from the text near the bottom, which starts::
> *Tsu Says:August 16, 2010 at 1:54pm*
>

> However I get the messages:
> *INFORMATION : Sending authentication request
>
> INFORMATION : Authentication request sent
>
> INFORMATION : Server request to authentication invoked fault event. This can
> be because of authentication failure also*
>
> I know my username and password are correct as I logged out and then in with
> them.
>
> Anyone any thoughts if they have used this library?
> Or any other ideas on a scheduler for mobile?
>
> BTW. I am using:
> Flex SDK: 4.16.0
> AIR SDK:  25.0.0
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Phil.

Re: Connection to Google Calendar as a Proxy Scheduler

npem
Thanks for the information.

It's certainly worth a consideration if no better options present themselves:-)

Phil

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Erik J. Thomas [via Apache Flex Users] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Phil:

I highly recommend using ANEs for native integration and to do the types of things you are doing. My experience with Google APIs, places, calendar were not that good either.

Here is an ANE you should consider. Sure it costs a little money, but only about the cost of a lunch for two per year:

https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Calendar <https://airnativeextensions.com/extension/com.distriqt.Calendar>

This ANE integrates with the native calendars and allows you to schedule events that will notify the user, etc. Seems it will do what you want.

Here is the full list of very well supported ANEs from the same company we use for our ANEs.

https://airnativeextensions.com/extensions <https://airnativeextensions.com/extensions>

They cost a little (actually quite inexpensive), but you get first-class support in docs, tutorials, forum, and tech support. We pay $10/year for the fingerprint manager/touch ID ANE and $35/year for all native dialogs, like busy, alert, choices, and we use the same license for multiple applications. Everything we've implemented with these ANEs has worked perfectly.

Cheers,

Erik

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 8:26 AM, npem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am trying to setup a Scheduler for a Mobile App that would notify the user
> if an
> Item is past its usedby date.
>
> I thought I might use Google Calendar to do this, as the app might not be
> running
> when the date has passed.
>
> I can’t find a way to access the local calendar on iOS and Android, hence my
> thinking
> regarding the use of Google Calendar
>
> I’m trying to use:
> *as3googlecalendarlib*
> (See
> *https://sujitreddyg.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/as3-library-for-google-calendar-as3googlecalendarlib/*)
>
> And have used the sample code from the text near the bottom, which starts::
> *Tsu Says:August 16, 2010 at 1:54pm*
>

> However I get the messages:
> *INFORMATION : Sending authentication request
>
> INFORMATION : Authentication request sent
>
> INFORMATION : Server request to authentication invoked fault event. This can
> be because of authentication failure also*
>
> I know my username and password are correct as I logged out and then in with
> them.
>
> Anyone any thoughts if they have used this library?
> Or any other ideas on a scheduler for mobile?
>
> BTW. I am using:
> Flex SDK: 4.16.0
> AIR SDK:  25.0.0
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Phil.

http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/Connection-to-Google-Calendar-as-a-Proxy-Scheduler-tp15416p15418.html
To unsubscribe from Connection to Google Calendar as a Proxy Scheduler, click here.
NAML

Philip Medlam

Re: Connection to Google Calendar as a Proxy Scheduler

Javier Guerrero García
Hi npem! :D

Sure there are! :) That's exactly what push notifications where made for :)

Why don't you just store your users appointments server side somewhere, and
send push notifications to their devices when the date is due? It's almost
the textbook example of push notifications in fact :)

1 table in any format (from TXT/CSV to SQL), 1 php to receive and store
data, 1 cron job to check due dates and send notifications, and you're done
for 0.0$ :)

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 10:13 AM, npem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > > --

> click
> > here
> > <http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/template/
> NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=
> 15416&code=cGhpbGlwLm1lZGxhbUBnbWFpbC5jb218MTU0MTZ8OTcwMjY1NTIz>
> > .
> > NAML
> > <http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/template/
> NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%
> 21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNa
> mespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabbl
> e.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_
> subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%
> 3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
> >

> --
> Philip Medlam

Re: Connection to Google Calendar as a Proxy Scheduler

I agree it's a possibility which I had not considered.

My problem is that I do not have a server on the Internet, so the option of buying an
ANE for $25 looks the most promising option at the moment.

The one suggested by Eric states that you can add updates and alarms for iOS, but I'm
not sure you can also do this for Android?

However, thanks for the suggestion

Phil.

http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/Connection-to-Google-Calendar-as-a-Proxy-Scheduler-tp15416p15426.html