BusyIndicator rotating off-center on iOS

BusyIndicator rotating off-center on iOS

bilbosax
I have created a PopUp component that I use when processing is occurring to let the user know that they need to wait. On iOS, the BusyIndicator is wobbling about it's center instead of rotating smoothly.  Any thoughts as to why this would happen??? Here is my PopUp Component;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:Group xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
                 xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" creationComplete="init(event)" xmlns:fxgAssets="fxgAssets.*">
        <fx:Script>

<![CDATA[
			import mx.events.FlexEvent;

			import classes.AppVars;

			private function init(event:FlexEvent):void{
				this.isPopUp = false;
				this.width = AppVars.appWidth/5;
				this.height = this.width/4;
				processingWindow.width = this.width;
				processingWindow.height = this.height;
				indicator.width = this.height * .6;
				indicator.height = indicator.width;
				indicator.x = this.width * .1;
				indicator.y = this.height * .2;
			}

		]]>

        </fx:Script>

        <fxgAssets:processing id="processingWindow" left="0" top="0"/>
        <s:BusyIndicator id="indicator" visible="true" symbolColor="#FFFFFF" rotationInterval="50"/>
</s:Group>

Re: BusyIndicator rotating off-center on iOS

Paul Moreau
Hi Bilbo,

Have you tried applying the mobile skin to the BusyIndicator?

skinClass="spark.skins.mobile.BusyIndicatorSkin"

Paul

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 5:58 AM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have created a PopUp component that I use when processing is occurring to
> let the user know that they need to wait. On iOS, the BusyIndicator is
> wobbling about it's center instead of rotating smoothly.  Any thoughts as
> why this would happen??? Here is my PopUp Component;
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <s:Group xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
>                  xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
>                  xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
> creationComplete="init(event)"
> xmlns:fxgAssets="fxgAssets.*">
>         <fx:Script>
>
>         </fx:Script>
>
>         <fxgAssets:processing id="processingWindow" left="0" top="0"/>
>         <s:BusyIndicator id="indicator" visible="true"
> symbolColor="#FFFFFF"
> rotationInterval="50"/>
> </s:Group>

*DISCLAIMER: This electronic message together with any attachments is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy, disclose
or use the contents in any way. Please also advise us by return e-mail that
you have received the message and then please destroy. Zutec  Ltd is not
responsible for any changes made to this message and / or any attachments
after sending by Zutec. We use virus scanning software but exclude all
liability for viruses or anything similar in this email or any attachment.*

Re: BusyIndicator rotating off-center on iOS

bilbosax
Paul, I thought that the busyIndicator was designed for mobile, so I don't know why it would be important to use that particular skin, but it definitely did the trick!!!  Thanks for the help my friend.

Bill

Re: BusyIndicator rotating off-center on iOS

Erik J. Thomas
Depending on how you set up your mobile project, I believe all controls will use the mobile skins by default. It may be that you have configured your project for spark theme and not mobile. You shouldn't need to use spark theme unless you're building a codebase that can be shared across mobile and desktop and/or web. I don't know where the theme setting is in your IDE, but in IntelliJ it's the mobile theme by default for a new mobile project.

If you run spark them for a mobile project you may run into more issues than just the BusyIndicator, for example if you are using TextInput the spark theme won't use the StylableStageText which means some of the native functionality won't work the same as in a native app.

Also, I'm not real happy with BusyIndicator even with mobile skins because it stops rotating on async API calls to servers or whenever doing heavy CPU lifting like when encoding a large bitmap to JPG, etc. It's so annoying that AIR doesn't use a worker thread for that and give the UI full responsiveness all the time to keep the BusyIndicator rotating among other things.

Erik

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 12:20 PM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Paul, I thought that the busyIndicator was designed for mobile, so I don't
> know why it would be important to use that particular skin, but it
> definitely did the trick!!!  Thanks for the help my friend.
>
> Bill

Re: BusyIndicator rotating off-center on iOS

bilbosax
Thanks for the reply Erik.  I use Flash Builder, but I must not have it set up perfectly for mobile development because I have been having the EXACT problems that you have mentioned, namely the busyIndicator and the textInput skins.  I will have to look into if there is a setting in Flash Builder that I can check to make sure that mobile skins are the default.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention!