Best mxmlc compiler to use for existing application.

Best mxmlc compiler to use for existing application.

Paul Stearns
I have a few existing applications developed and maintained using FlexBuilder. The current SDK used is 3.5. When I compile for production I use mxmlc "Version 3.6.0 build 16995"

Two of my applications have memory leaks. Before spending too much time debugging, I want to make sure I am compiling with the best compiler I can based on the age and style of code I am using. The applications are pre-Spark

My assumption has been to go beyond V3.x of the compiler would cause problems. Is this the case?

So what is the latest compiler I can use (also development environment) that will work with the old style code I am supporting?

Paul

Re: Best mxmlc compiler to use for existing application.

Alex Harui-2
Hi Paul,

My memory of these sorts of issues are fading.  In looking at the source history, there have been almost no changes to the compiler output since Adobe donated Flex to Apache.  I only saw a couple of fixes for Vector.  So, it probably doesn't matter which compiler you use.

On 1/29/19, 9:47 AM, "Paul Stearns" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    I have a few existing applications developed and maintained using FlexBuilder. The current SDK used is 3.5. When I compile for production I use mxmlc "Version 3.6.0 build 16995"

    Two of my applications have memory leaks. Before spending too much time debugging, I want to make sure I am compiling with the best compiler I can based on the age and style of code I am using. The applications are pre-Spark

    My assumption has been to go beyond V3.x of the compiler would cause problems. Is this the case?

    So what is the latest compiler I can use (also development environment) that will work with the old style code I am supporting?

    Paul

Re: Best mxmlc compiler to use for existing application.

Paul Stearns
Alex:

Thanks for the response.

Are you suggesting that I might be able to download the latest sdk from Apache, and it would recognize and compile correctly my existing v3 Flex (non Spark) code?

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107

Re: Best mxmlc compiler to use for existing application.

Alex Harui-2
Hi Paul,

I think the safest play is to use the compiler in your 3.x SDK.  I believe the compiler in Apache Flex releases is from the 4.x code base and you might have to change some settings to get it to output 3.x code.  There are almost no other differences between the compilers, so using the 3.x version is effectively 'the latest".

My 2 cents,
-Alex