App Locks Up On Android

bilbosax
So I gave my app to a friend to test on their inexpensive Galaxy Tab E, a
$200 tablet.  What I have found is that when you minimize my app and come
back to it later, it is often locked up and does not respond.

On my iPad and more expensive Galaxy Tab S, if you minimize the app and
browse the internet, and then pull the app back up later, it either resumes
smoothly from where it left off, or it re-initializes the app and starts
over from the beginning, but it NEVER locks up.

Is there something I should look for, or a way that I can keep my app from
locking up on inexpensive tablets??? Has anyone else run into this issue??

Thanks for any insights!

Re: App Locks Up On Android

bilbosax
Bueller? Bueller? LOL

Nobody else has had a mobile project lock up before? I have no idea if this
matters, but it was a development build that i just quickly pushed onto my
friends inexpensive Android device from Flash Builder. It did not contain
the captive runtime, so AIR had to be installed on his tablet to run. I
don't know if a compiled APK containing the captive runtime will behave any
differently. I have the APK sitting in Google Play, ready to be released,
but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because because I don't want to put out
an app that is locking up when you reopen it after minimiIng it.  Again, it
has never locked up on the iPad or a Galaxy Tab S, but it does frequently on
his cheaper tablet, but only if you minimize the app, do some other things,
and then reopen the app.

Any thoughts at all would be HIGHLY welcome.

Re: App Locks Up On Android

First make sure it isn't running out of memory or other resources.  Then I would recommend debugging the app to see where it is hung.

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Ca3b3892899ec47ca348108d5d5414d55%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636649398805341951&sdata=6zbl94ISEGWcAlmfiWa3nQz%2FU59QEUB2eue6vOZdCUY%3D&reserved=0

Re: App Locks Up On Android

bilbosax
Thanks for the reply Alex. I'm really not sure how to debug it in this
instance. The app never locks up while the app is running, only after I
minimize it and open up other apps like a browser and then come back to the
app, in which case it is locked up. On other tablets, it would usually just
start over from the beginning if you pull it up from the background and
memory has been exhausted for the app. But in the case of debugging, Scout
loses connection once the app loses focus to another app, thus I would not
be able to obtain any real useful information once I minimize the app to
open another. Can you think of any other way that I could debug it locking
up when trying to pull it up from the background?

Thanks.

Re: App Locks Up On Android

Alex Harui-2
I have not done any debugging on devices or any serious Mobile app work with Flex.

Maybe the problem is the app isn't terminating.  If you can attach a debugger to the app, then debug how the app terminates as other apps open up.

-Alex

On 6/19/18, 7:58 AM, "bilbosax" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Thanks for the reply Alex. I'm really not sure how to debug it in this
    instance. The app never locks up while the app is running, only after I
    minimize it and open up other apps like a browser and then come back to the
    app, in which case it is locked up. On other tablets, it would usually just
    start over from the beginning if you pull it up from the background and
    memory has been exhausted for the app. But in the case of debugging, Scout
    loses connection once the app loses focus to another app, thus I would not
    be able to obtain any real useful information once I minimize the app to
    open another. Can you think of any other way that I could debug it locking
    up when trying to pull it up from the background?

    Thanks.

    --
    Sent from: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cd3630bfce7ce415ff32d08d5d5f52414%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C636650171212011218&sdata=yXaVReyypHoLQC7lUFetI2w36LmR%2F73OrD7ADP%2BZ1FY%3D&reserved=0

Re: App Locks Up On Android

bilbosax
Interesting.  Just wanted to report what I found.  On the inexpensive Adroid
tablet, my app would lock up if I minimized my app and came back to it.
This happened when I was installing a development version using Flash
Builder, which would also install AIR as a separate app alongside my app.

When I made a final release build APK file and installed it with the captive
runtime compiled into the APK, no more locking up occurred.  So I don't
think it was a function of my coding, but actually how the app was packaged
and installed.  Hope this helps somebody else if they read this in the
future.