Advertising ID on Mobile

bilbosax
I don't want to overwhelm anyone with the details of what I am trying to do,
but in a nutshell, I am trying to develop a mobile AIR app for real estate
agents that is customizeable that they can give to their clients and, and
when the client installs it, it will look like the real estate agent wrote
it themselves and will have their branding in the app.

To do this, I need to save a unique identifier from any Android or iOS
device that installs the app.  Apparently, this is inconsistent approach and
not supported across all devices, so I can't do something simple like store
a MAC address or a UDID because not all devices will allow access to these
identifiers, so I would get inconsistent results.

The only consistent identifiers that I have been able to narrow down are
Advertising ID's.  These are provided by both iOS and Android devices and
there are ANE's available that will give you access to these identifiers.
What I am concerned with is this - I am not using them to provide Ads to my
users.  I just need to know who a user is and associate them with a real
estate agent consistently.

Does anyone know if Apple or Google will throw up a fuss if you try to
submit an app to the app store that uses an Advertising ID, but is not using
it to serve up ads???

Thanks for any thoughts!

Re: Advertising ID on Mobile

Greg Dove
In my experience Apple can have an issue with using the advertising id if
you do not have one of the advertising provider ANEs also installed and
initialized. I can't remember if apple actually needed to see ads to
approve it or not, but yes it is something you need to be careful with on
iOS.
Android was less of an issue (I don't recall any issue).

If I recall correctly the advertising id can also be reset by the user so
it is possible for the same device to have a different advertising id at
different points in time. In practice I think this is rare for most users.
But this might be worth checking if it is important also....

-Greg

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't want to overwhelm anyone with the details of what I am trying to
> do,
> but in a nutshell, I am trying to develop a mobile AIR app for real estate
> agents that is customizeable that they can give to their clients and, and
> when the client installs it, it will look like the real estate agent wrote
> it themselves and will have their branding in the app.
>
> To do this, I need to save a unique identifier from any Android or iOS
> device that installs the app.  Apparently, this is inconsistent approach
> and
> not supported across all devices, so I can't do something simple like store
> a MAC address or a UDID because not all devices will allow access to these
> identifiers, so I would get inconsistent results.
>
> The only consistent identifiers that I have been able to narrow down are
> Advertising ID's.  These are provided by both iOS and Android devices and
> there are ANE's available that will give you access to these identifiers.
> What I am concerned with is this - I am not using them to provide Ads to my
> users.  I just need to know who a user is and associate them with a real
> estate agent consistently.
>
> Does anyone know if Apple or Google will throw up a fuss if you try to
> submit an app to the app store that uses an Advertising ID, but is not
> using
> it to serve up ads???
>
> Thanks for any thoughts!

Re: Advertising ID on Mobile

Javier Guerrero García
Wouldn't it be easier to just generate a random on first start, store it
somewhere in application persistance, and do whatever you would be doing
with that unreachable UDID/IMEI/Ad ID ?

How do agents "register" their customers? Can't customers just key in their
agent "keycode/pin/name/email/phone number" (or even select it from their
local contacts) on first run, and just forget about the unique ID?

Also, maybe this helps:
https://mateuszmackowiak.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/adobe-air-native-extension-syste/

that they can give to their clients

Describe how this is done :-? Agents personally install it on their
customer's phones?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:18 AM, bilbosax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't want to overwhelm anyone with the details of what I am trying to
> do,
> but in a nutshell, I am trying to develop a mobile AIR app for real estate
> agents that is customizeable that they can give to their clients and, and
> when the client installs it, it will look like the real estate agent wrote
> it themselves and will have their branding in the app.
>
> To do this, I need to save a unique identifier from any Android or iOS
> device that installs the app.  Apparently, this is inconsistent approach
> and
> not supported across all devices, so I can't do something simple like store
> a MAC address or a UDID because not all devices will allow access to these
> identifiers, so I would get inconsistent results.
>
> The only consistent identifiers that I have been able to narrow down are
> Advertising ID's.  These are provided by both iOS and Android devices and
> there are ANE's available that will give you access to these identifiers.
> What I am concerned with is this - I am not using them to provide Ads to my
> users.  I just need to know who a user is and associate them with a real
> estate agent consistently.
>
> Does anyone know if Apple or Google will throw up a fuss if you try to
> submit an app to the app store that uses an Advertising ID, but is not
> using
> it to serve up ads???
>
> Thanks for any thoughts!

Re: Advertising ID on Mobile

bilbosax
The idea is that agents would have an account with their branding in it -
email address , phone number, company name, photo, etc. They would be given
a link that they could put on their websites. When a client clicked the
link, I was going to capture a unique identifier for their device and write
it to a database along with the agents ID. They would then be redirected to
the App Store to download the app. On first run, the app would again get the
unique identifier from their, look it up in my database to find the agent ID
associated with it, and download the agents marketing. I wanted it to be
easy and seamless, just a click of a link, install, and run. But it looks as
if Apple is very tight with unique ID's for privacy purposes. Now I think
the only option to customize is that a client would have to enter an email
address upon clicking the install link, which would be written to a database
along with the agent ID, and then they would also have to re-enter the email
address again on first run to retrieve the agents branding from my database.

Can anyone think of a slicker way of delivering a customized app to a
user??? Am I missing something that the rest of the world already knows??

Re: Advertising ID on Mobile

Javier Guerrero García
Not 100% sure (a few hurdles to jump in between), but maybe a simple cookie
could let you handle all that: store a random number (or even the agentID)
in the cookie AND in your database on first click (before redirecting to
the app store), and then inside the app use a browser to query for that
same cookie (or maybe even access it from your HTTPService requests:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/432662 )

Or.... maybe you can just migrate the app to be 100% web based :-P

P.S. If you go to your second option, do you really really need to store
the pair (agentID, deviceID) in your database? Why not skipping that part,
linking directly to the appstore (so everyone in the world can install/use
it), and just enter the agentID on first run and storing it?

El El mar, 19 dic 2017 a las 14:20, bilbosax <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> The idea is that agents would have an account with their branding in it -
> email address , phone number, company name, photo, etc. They would be given
> a link that they could put on their websites. When a client clicked the
> link, I was going to capture a unique identifier for their device and write
> it to a database along with the agents ID. They would then be redirected to
> the App Store to download the app. On first run, the app would again get
> the
> unique identifier from their, look it up in my database to find the agent
> ID
> associated with it, and download the agents marketing. I wanted it to be
> easy and seamless, just a click of a link, install, and run. But it looks
> as
> if Apple is very tight with unique ID's for privacy purposes. Now I think
> the only option to customize is that a client would have to enter an email
> address upon clicking the install link, which would be written to a
> database
> along with the agent ID, and then they would also have to re-enter the
> email
> address again on first run to retrieve the agents branding from my
> database.
>
> Can anyone think of a slicker way of delivering a customized app to a
> user??? Am I missing something that the rest of the world already knows??

Re: Advertising ID on Mobile

Dave Fisher
Hi -

IIRC - Both Apple and Google AppStores have Unique DeviceIDs and can callback your own web service using their protocols when a user downloads and then activates your App. This interface is used for push notifications.

Or - you can use a Cookie approach…

I take it that you want the clients of your clients to have the unique experience. You may be able to do something like having the App download with a key through a link on the client’s web page that properly defines the relationship.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave

> On Dec 19, 2017, at 10:08 AM, Javier Guerrero García <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not 100% sure (a few hurdles to jump in between), but maybe a simple cookie
> could let you handle all that: store a random number (or even the agentID)
> in the cookie AND in your database on first click (before redirecting to
> the app store), and then inside the app use a browser to query for that
> same cookie (or maybe even access it from your HTTPService requests:
> https://forums.adobe.com/thread/432662 )
>
> Or.... maybe you can just migrate the app to be 100% web based :-P
>
> P.S. If you go to your second option, do you really really need to store
> the pair (agentID, deviceID) in your database? Why not skipping that part,
> linking directly to the appstore (so everyone in the world can install/use
> it), and just enter the agentID on first run and storing it?
>

> El El mar, 19 dic 2017 a las 14:20, bilbosax <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
>> The idea is that agents would have an account with their branding in it -
>> email address , phone number, company name, photo, etc. They would be given
>> a link that they could put on their websites. When a client clicked the
>> link, I was going to capture a unique identifier for their device and write
>> it to a database along with the agents ID. They would then be redirected to
>> the App Store to download the app. On first run, the app would again get
>> the
>> unique identifier from their, look it up in my database to find the agent
>> ID
>> associated with it, and download the agents marketing. I wanted it to be
>> easy and seamless, just a click of a link, install, and run. But it looks
>> as
>> if Apple is very tight with unique ID's for privacy purposes. Now I think
>> the only option to customize is that a client would have to enter an email
>> address upon clicking the install link, which would be written to a
>> database
>> along with the agent ID, and then they would also have to re-enter the
>> email
>> address again on first run to retrieve the agents branding from my
>> database.
>>
>> Can anyone think of a slicker way of delivering a customized app to a
>> user??? Am I missing something that the rest of the world already knows??
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Advertising ID on Mobile

bilbosax
Thanks for the reply Dave. I did not know that Google and Apple had a process
to callback your own web service using their protocols when a user downloads
and then activates your App. What would be awesome is if you could include
the agent ID in the URL in the link to the app, and there was a way to
consume that ID during installation.

Do you have any links that I could read more about this, or could you give
me any suggestions on what to Google to find out more about this callback
process??

Thanks!!

Re: Advertising ID on Mobile

Dave Fisher
Actually you don’t need push.

You can just use the unique device id and a registration key to select the client.

Google these two search strings:
Device ID Android
Device ID iPhone

Regards,