Adobe Flex Buider to FlexJS

Carlos iteNlearning

I have many applications developed with Adobe Flex Builder, large size and complexity. Because of the limitations of the Flash player in browsers today, we are looking for the least expensive way to pass them on to other technologies.

We have seen apache FlexJS framework, but I do not find any web or books to learn how to handle it and see its limitations and the cost that would suppose to make the change, since I have discovered that the direct change is not made.
Is there a good tutorial to learn how to program with this framework?
Would you recommend its use and would save work instead of doing it directly in HTML5 and JS?

Re: Adobe Flex Buider to FlexJS

piotrz
Hi Carlos,

Really happy that your eyes landed on FlexJS. We do not have straight tutorial, but I hope they appear some time in the future. Currently I can provide you couple of links which can help you with some start with FlexJS.

I would start from watching some presentation performed this year on ApacheCon -> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj

1) Try to download FlexJS 0.8.0 [1]. - You will not see this version on the list yet, cause we have just released it and I think it will be available in about 48 hours on the installer list, but if you are willing to try it earlier, you can right click on drop down list and choose "Show Dev builds" where you will find on the list ("Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 RC2 or FlexJS Nightly - 0.9.0)

2) Choose some IDE: You can try Moonshine IDE [2] (soon will be released next version with fixes related to FlexJS 0.8.0), VSCode [3] or Intellij - but here you will have only partial support - no possibility to debug anything [4].

3) Moonshine and VSCode allows you to build application, but personally I'm a big fun of Maven which allows you to create simple hello world application by one command line [5] and build it! VSCode have support to use Maven for building later.

4) Check examples existed in our repository [6].

As for you applications probably you will be able to compile your business logic straight to JS using FlexJS compiler if it does not have any dependency to Flash. Your UI will need to be rewrite from scratch.

[1] http://flex.apache.org/installer.html
[2] http://moonshine-ide.com/
[3] https://nextgenactionscript.com/vscode/
[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+IntelliJ+IDEA
[5] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Create+A+FlexJS+Project+with+Maven
[6] https://github.com/apache/flex-asjs/tree/develop/examples/flexjs

Do not hesitate to ask!

Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Adobe Flex Buider to FlexJS

Hi Carlos,

If you are using Flash Builder 4.7, you can use it for FlexJS development.
 We are just finishing up FlexJS 0.8.0.  It will be officially announced
in a day or two, but the Installer should be updated and the docs [1][2]
have been updated as well.  Remember that his is beta quality so expect
bugs, missing features, and inaccuracies in the documentation.  Hopefully
you will be willing to put up with a bumpy road and help us create the
future for Flex.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+Adobe+Fl