Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi,

we're in the process of creating a distribution of a Flex app migrated to
Adobe AIR, and I have few questions. Hope someone here can give me some
light :

1.- I remember read somewhere that "AIR Captive Runtime" was now the only
solution and we don't have "AIR Shared Runtime". But searching ni google
talks that this is for Android only. We're targeting Windows and Mac, so my
question is : *AIR Captive Runtime is now the only option for Windows and
Mac?* I must say that we want to go with AIR Captive Runtime, but want to
know if the other still exists on desktop.

2.- To bundle our App with the AIR Captive Runtime, and create a .EXE: The
person doing this task tell me that we need some external application, but
I think I already did some years ago a .EXE (with an ANE) of an old Flex
App. So the question is: *can we create a .EXE with Adobe AIR? Maybe the
limitation is that we need some external tool to bundle the AIR Captive
Runtime?*

3.- For those who has experience updating Adobe AIR Flex apps...*how do you
manage the updating? what options, frameworks, etc... are now available
that I should have into account?*
(For this point, I need the app to see if some update are available to
download and make it capable to download and update)

Thanks in advance
--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

Paulus de B.
Hi Carlos,

With regards to an update framework, we use this one for our desktop apps
developed in Flex/AIR and deployed on AIR, not as an .EXE (yes, it’s an old
one but it works very well):
https://github.com/thanksmister/CustomApplicationUpdater

Cheers,

WP




--
Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

0xC3
In reply to this post by Carlos Rovira-2
1. I am not sure if the Captive Runtime is the only option for desktop still,
but I would not recommend doing it any other way. I believe that Adobe is
trying to get rid of the shared runtime and there is really little benefit
with the downside of having to make sure you are compatible with newer
versions when they come out instead of at your own pace. Also installing you
app becomes much more simple because you don't need to have any 3rd party
installers to deal with.


2.The runtime .exe is made however it is a standalone app, i.e. no
installer. We am only dealing with windows, so I cannot speak to a mac but
we use Inno Installer to package and install and update the app with the
release binaries. Basically it copies the files from the release directory
and packages it into a single binary installer.


3.For updating we check the version number to webservice and if there is a
newer version, alert the user. If they choose to update, the app downloads
the updated Inno installer and then starts the installer with
NativeProccess. The installer then updates and restarts the app.



--
Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

After24
In reply to this post by Carlos Rovira-2
Hi Carlos,

We have migrated a large flex web application and choose to use the captive
runtime output.

On mac you get a .app file that you can distribute directly or create a .dmg
with the classic "drag and drop to the application folder" scenario.

On Windows you get a folder that contains your app .exe and all the other
required files. You can than create a .msi installer using WixEdit (tutorial
here :
https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html
<https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html>
)

Our application is based on a shell and modules. Those modules are loaded
locally at runtime. When an update is available, the new modules are loaded
from a server and the old modules are overwritten directly into the
application folder.

This solution works like a charm.









--
Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

Carlos Rovira-2
Hi many thanks to all for responding and expose your suggestions.
Very useful to start planing our own solution :)

Carlos

El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 21:35, After24 (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> We have migrated a large flex web application and choose to use the captive
> runtime output.
>
> On mac you get a .app file that you can distribute directly or create a
> .dmg
> with the classic "drag and drop to the application folder" scenario.
>
> On Windows you get a folder that contains your app .exe and all the other
> required files. You can than create a .msi installer using WixEdit
> (tutorial
> here :
>
> https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html
> <
> https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html>
>
> )
>
> Our application is based on a shell and modules. Those modules are loaded
> locally at runtime. When an update is available, the new modules are loaded
> from a server and the old modules are overwritten directly into the
> application folder.
>
> This solution works like a charm.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/
>


--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

OmPrakash Muppirala
Carlos,

You could take a look at how we do it for the Flex Installer.  We build an
.exe on windows and a .dmg on Mac. The code is available here:
https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/master/installer

For updates, we built our own update logic.  The crux can be seen here:
https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/blob/master/installer/src/com/riaspace/nativeApplicationUpdater/NativeApplicationUpdater.as

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Om

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi many thanks to all for responding and expose your suggestions.
> Very useful to start planing our own solution :)
>
> Carlos
>
> El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 21:35, After24 (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
>
> > Hi Carlos,
> >
> > We have migrated a large flex web application and choose to use the
> captive
> > runtime output.
> >
> > On mac you get a .app file that you can distribute directly or create a
> > .dmg
> > with the classic "drag and drop to the application folder" scenario.
> >
> > On Windows you get a folder that contains your app .exe and all the other
> > required files. You can than create a .msi installer using WixEdit
> > (tutorial
> > here :
> >
> >
> https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html
> > <
> >
> https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html
> >
> >
> > )
> >
> > Our application is based on a shell and modules. Those modules are loaded
> > locally at runtime. When an update is available, the new modules are
> loaded
> > from a server and the old modules are overwritten directly into the
> > application folder.
> >
> > This solution works like a charm.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/
> >
>
>
> --
> Carlos Rovira
> http://about.me/carlosrovira
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adobe AIR App distribution: Questions

Carlos Rovira-2
Many thanks Om.

seems we will need something more "global" (we're studying) since we maybe
need to do changes in windows user registry or things like that, so it
seems we'll go with some third party installer.

thanks! :)

El mié., 23 ene. 2019 a las 22:58, OmPrakash Muppirala (<
[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Carlos,
>
> You could take a look at how we do it for the Flex Installer.  We build an
> .exe on windows and a .dmg on Mac. The code is available here:
> https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/master/installer
>
> For updates, we built our own update logic.  The crux can be seen here:
>
> https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/blob/master/installer/src/com/riaspace/nativeApplicationUpdater/NativeApplicationUpdater.as
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM Carlos Rovira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi many thanks to all for responding and expose your suggestions.
> > Very useful to start planing our own solution :)
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 21:35, After24 (<[hidden email]>)
> > escribió:
> >
> > > Hi Carlos,
> > >
> > > We have migrated a large flex web application and choose to use the
> > captive
> > > runtime output.
> > >
> > > On mac you get a .app file that you can distribute directly or create a
> > > .dmg
> > > with the classic "drag and drop to the application folder" scenario.
> > >
> > > On Windows you get a folder that contains your app .exe and all the
> other
> > > required files. You can than create a .msi installer using WixEdit
> > > (tutorial
> > > here :
> > >
> > >
> >
> https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html
> > > <
> > >
> >
> https://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/customize-setup-for-AIR-app-with-captive-runtime.html
> > >
> > >
> > > )
> > >
> > > Our application is based on a shell and modules. Those modules are
> loaded
> > > locally at runtime. When an update is available, the new modules are
> > loaded
> > > from a server and the old modules are overwritten directly into the
> > > application folder.
> > >
> > > This solution works like a charm.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sent from: http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Carlos Rovira
> > http://about.me/carlosrovira
> >
>


--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira